Recommendations for good BnW film

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoned

May 7, 2004
Changi
www.photo.net
Hi all. Was looking for recommendations for a low grain, high contrast BnW film. Any suggestions?

It would also depends on the developer being used as well as other factors like agitation routine and developer dilution. Same goes for contrast.

FP4+ and TMX are pretty good to start with for your requirements. :)

Hmm i don't know about that. I'm the 'send to the shop and wait in the coffeeshop' kind of guy.

Ok will give the 3 films you guys suggested a try. Thanks

Trix400 or TMax400. I like the grains and contrast + tone.

CaeSiuM said:
It would also depends on the developer being used as well as other factors like agitation routine and developer dilution. Same goes for contrast.

FP4+ and TMX are pretty good to start with for your requirements. :)

Never tried FP4+ before, but Kodak TMAx (TMX) is a pretty good flim. But if you really want low grain then use Tmax 100 :D.

If you are getting the films processed by someone else then it's better to use the C41 B&W films like Kodak's new BW400CN which has replaced T400CN. It gives me extremely fine grain and reasonable contrast. It somehow looks a little better than T400CN. You can go for Ilford Delta 400 or Delta 100 if you process it yourself. These are hard to beat. Delta 400 is quite a unique film. It's a newer emulsion and can easily be pushed to 1600 and souped in HC110 dil-A. Ilford's FP4+ is another superb film which is quite punchy and has very fine grain, in fact much nicer than Kodak Plus-X 125. Not sure about the kodak equivalents as I don't like their B&W films much.

hmmm.....tt's the prob with the t400cn....haha..tt's y i use only hp5 now haha..ilford rocks...

Thanks for the suggestions!
Where else other than ruby can i get Ilford processed

Stoned said:
Thanks for the suggestions!
Where else other than ruby can i get Ilford processed

Konota? They can process B&W film, and their B&W prints on colour paper is pretty good. Back then shot mostly with 135 Delta 400.

Alvin

you can try neopan. forced to switch occassionally since ruby has poor inventory control and runs out of delta half the time. at iso 1600, neopan floors delta 3200. :)

OT: I have not tried neopan... do local shops carry neopan acros? would like to try that...

Wonder if the new stock of delta 400 is in for ruby, was there on wednesday, still not in. So far I only like delta 400, others like HP5 or kodak B&W I don't like the printed pictures. Maybe it's the shop i visit haha :)

Alvin

konota stocks neopan 400 and 1600. yeah, delta 400 still my favorite! ;)

Stoned said:
... a low grain, high contrast BnW film. Any suggestions?

Hi Stoned,

Try Kodak Techinical Pan 2415 film (you have to order it specially if I remember correctly...or go phone hunting).

Low ISO, it gives you GRAINLESS negs shot at ISO 25 and processed in Kodak Technidol LC developer. It comes in a powderd form sold in sachets (go to Ruby or CP Pro Div to check).

BTW, the film's resolution is around 200 lines per mm, sharper than any commrcially available lens. I used to print elargements up to 24" that showed NO film grain! And that's from a 35mil neg. Too bad most camra lnses aren't sharp nough to mak full use of this film's rsolution capabilities.

Oh...you've got to watch the development temp/time (film) very carefully though.

For more info, check Kodak's Techinical specs ... or http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=sh...+Pan+film&ei=UTF-8&fr=FP-tab-web-t&fl=0&x=wrt

Have fun me8! ;)

PAI SEH...forgot that you wanted others to devp the film for you. I don't think any minilab kinda place can do this film. You might talk to FEE FEE House of Photographics (down the row from KT Colour) and see if they can arrange to do it for you. OR you can devp it yourself. Processing film is easier than you think...in fact, ordering a plate of Char Kway Teow is more difficult for me! :bsmilie:

powdered form sold in sachets :sweat: Sounds a little too hardcore for me. Sounds like FP4+ would be the best bet. Thanks all

To get what you want from film, the film developing time, temperture and chemical used is very important as well. For me a low gain high contast result then I will shoot on medium format T-Max 100 process on HC 110 B dultion.

Feinwerkbau said:
Hi Stoned,

PAI SEH...forgot that you wanted others to devp the film for you. I don't think any minilab kinda place can do this film. You might talk to FEE FEE House of Photographics (down the row from KT Colour) and see if they can arrange to do it for you. OR you can devp it yourself. Processing film is easier than you think...in fact, ordering a plate of Char Kway Teow is more difficult for me! :bsmilie:

Ordering a plate of Char Kway Teow is definitely more difficult ..... especially when you want chilli .... they never seems to get the correct amount of chillies :D

Status
Not open for further replies.