Recommendations for DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

egomy

May 25, 2008
AMK
www.egomy.org
hi guys,

i just joined the forum but i haven't gotten myself a DSLR yet. been playing around with my compact camera for a few years but recently, it hasn't been satisfying me. haha. so i thought i would come here to get some advice on getting a DSLR :)

what kind/brand of camera and lens would be good for sports photography? sports like soccer, basketball or ultimate frisbee.

another thing that i heard from my friends is that it's better to get the same brand of camera as most of your friends so that you can change your lenses with each other. what's your take on that?

thanks in advance :)

Hi Egomy,
welcome as a new member to clusnap.
Like to share with you on how to acquire the DSLR system.
1st, is there any brand preference and also budget that you intend to set aside to acquire the system?
2nd, do your friends use any particuler system that you can relate in topics and views if you get the same one like theirs?
3rd, how about the after sales support?
Last, it's still rested on the user to take good pictures as the system act as a tool to conpliment your skills!
Happy to expand to the DSLR system!
Cheers!
Tomatocat

Hi egomy,
First of all welcome...
Let's get straight to the point, hope you don't be offend by some of people here, when certain "strong"/firm advice is given.

1st part of thinking/consideration...
First, you like to use your camera for hobby or job in future.
2nd, a note for 1st time DSLR buyer, things can get more over the time meaning you will buy more equipments/acessories and use up lots of your hard earn savings. (including changing lenses and camera bodies)
3rd, You can ask among your friends using DSLR for some advise, however don't follow blindly which may ended up in buying unused equpiments.
4th, Do some research online like camera reviews from various sites and not forgetting to use SEARCH function in forums first before asking any questions.

2nd part on buying.
a. What is your budget?
b. Go down personally to some of recommended shops mention in this forum to try out the camera, know the cost and other useful tips on using/carry/keeping/maintaining your first DSLR.
c. Ask you friend to lent you his DSLR to try for a session of shooting. See if you like the weight of carry/user friendly of the camera with full setup bag.

Last thing to do is to keep on shooting.
Enjoy what you like to shoot.

Cheers!

Well summarised Jnet :thumbsup:
No one gave me this advice when i was getting my first DSLR.

Hi egomy do not be too hung up on the brands. Apart from some differences in specifications, they are pretty much equivalent in what they have to offer for most of us.

Rgds
Ryan

Well summarised Jnet :thumbsup:
No one gave me this advice when i was getting my first DSLR.

Hi egomy do not be too hung up on the brands. Apart from some differences in specifications, they are pretty much equivalent in what they have to offer for most of us.

Rgds
Ryan
Thanks...
Becos most of the "old" birds are tired of replying the same question over the period of time.
So that's why i also tone down on some topics already.

Anyway, just go out and shoot. no need to stay at forum to post... :bsmilie:
Feel free to PM me anything if you want.

Hi ego :) u may wanna scan through the different brands of camera sections on CS :) (such as this) and then decide for yourself :) + wadeva JNET has said :) hahaha sorry jnet sorry for ripping it wholesomely off :p

Hi ego :) u may wanna scan through the different brands of camera sections on CS :) and then decide for yourself :) + wadeva JNET has said :) hahaha sorry jnet sorry for ripping it wholesomely off :p
No worries, we are all here to learn and exchange views.
Plus see nice pictures and beautiful models... :devil:

thanks for the replies guys, really appreciate it.

guess i'll go haunt my friend to lent me his DSLR to try out before deciding on anything.

thanks a lot people~! :)

Wait for those IT/PC Fairs to come along & try out all the different DSLRs.

This question pops up about 2x a week, so a search would get you a lot of answers. Here's a quick recap:

There is sufficient information on here on the pros and cons of all systems.

This is what I suggest:
1. Browse the camera stores and try the Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus and Pentax DSLRs in your price range. DO NOT let yourself be swayed by the sales people.

2. For each camera, try to feel which one feels the most comfortable, which one you could figure out on the spot and seemed to work just right for you.

3. Once you have your shortlist, google for reviews on those specific cameras and evaluate the pros and cons

4. Buy the one your instinct tells you is right for you.

what kind/brand of camera and lens would be good for sports photography? sports like soccer, basketball or ultimate frisbee.

another thing that i heard from my friends is that it's better to get the same brand of camera as most of your friends so that you can change your lenses with each other. what's your take on that?

thanks in advance :)

to take sports effectively, you more or less would need a semi-pro body with faster frames per second and the semi-bodies will cost at a rather dear price to newbie.
like canon 30d and 40d or nikon d200 and d80.
most cost around 1.5k onwards.
do try out sony and pentax that offer stabilizer bodies which enable you to purchase non-stabilizer lens at cheaper prices.
most importantly is the feel of the cam, once you fall in love with the grip, is mostly likely you get the cam body already.

lens wise is best you take those with constant aperture f2.8 throughout the zoom range or zoom lens 70-300mm and its again going to cost you at least 500 plus onwards.

would be best to share the same system with your friends at least can share lens and provide each other more feedback to improve shooting if needed.

Try the Samsung GX series...they are quite the thing. Or the Panasonic L stuff...the problem is we all tend to sway towards existing giants of the industry like Canon,Nikon,Pentax,Olympus etc. Some of these 'new' cams are absolutely terrific. Wait for the IT/PC shows...get your hands on every one of them...get the one that 'clings' to you! Happy shooting..

Hi all,
Just a quick question, I asked one of my friend who is using Canon D30, on about cam that had IS built in and cam without it relying on lense with IS.
He say IS is actually not good for in term of taking a sharp pic.

IS is a feature to stablise the image in the cam, when shutter releases, reducing the hand shakes when holding cam with just hands.
Mentioning that when taking fast pics with IS, it compromise the sharpness of the pic, is he correct or wrong?

so is it better for cam with IS or without IS? I compare just plainly 2 brands for the moment, sony had IS, canon rely on lense for IS.

any feedback?

Try the Samsung GX series...they are quite the thing. Or the Panasonic L stuff...the problem is we all tend to sway towards existing giants of the industry like Canon,Nikon,Pentax,Olympus etc. Some of these 'new' cams are absolutely terrific. Wait for the IT/PC shows...get your hands on every one of them...get the one that 'clings' to you! Happy shooting..

The Samsung GX 20 and the Pentax K20D are essentially the same camera. So the specs are identical.

To really know which is the cam that best suits you, go to the shops to try them out. Hold them in your hands and feel. Then decide which one is your fav.

Hi all,
Just a quick question, I asked one of my friend who is using Canon D30, on about cam that had IS built in and cam without it relying on lense with IS.
He say IS is actually not good for in term of taking a sharp pic.

Mentioning that when taking fast pics with IS, it compromise the sharpness of the pic, is he correct or wrong?

so is it better for cam with IS or without IS? I compare just plainly 2 brands for the moment, sony had IS, canon rely on lense for IS.

any feedback?

Well, there were a lot of reports on certain Canon lenses that they were softer with IS turned on. So far, I can tell you that for in-body IS there is no such issue. For me, using Sony, SSS/IS is *fantastic* for taking sharp pics.

hi thanks rashkae
seems like generally IS is okay to have.
softer as in meaning?

I'm actually inclined towards getting a D40. While filtering that 450D is out due to its small size to me.
Still reading up and trying to touch touch D40 and A350. I didn't go through to other brands yet as more mean confusions.

hi thanks rashkae
seems like generally IS is okay to have.
softer as in meaning?

I'm actually inclined towards getting a D40. While filtering that 450D is out due to its small size to me.
Still reading up and trying to touch touch D40 and A350. I didn't go through to other brands yet as more mean confusions.

The D40 is also a tiny camera, and be aware that you need the newer and more expensive Nikon AF-I or AF-S lenses to get autofocus in the D40 as it has no internal focus motor. Also, the D40 will need IS lenses if you want IS.

opps wrong.. i'm not referring to Nikon D40, but Canon 40D. wrong model given :)

ok noted.
Personally, A700 cost more for me, so does Nikon D300 definitely, for pentax and olympus i had not checked into them and perhaps maybe not checking at all.

I'm like comparing them among the wrong class but I'm looking at 40D, 450D, A350, Nikon D80.
currently, 450D is out, leaving the 3.
My concern about D80 is that the compability of lense among Nikon cams. I picked up threads of pple saying nikon older cams have the issues but I'm not yet into lense perhaps sometime in the future la.

Status
Not open for further replies.