Recommendations for dgicam for low light shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

glyuen

Feb 8, 2004
Jurong West
hi guys. i am currently using a Canon Powershot 300 and i am rather disappointed with its image quality especially under dimly lit conditions. can anyone recommend a digicam less than $800 at least 3meg with optical zoom that can yield considerable better images in low light ?

glyuen

Feb 8, 2004
Jurong West
anymore recoomndations? i looking for one for my friend who knows nuts about iso...just one that can produce shaper and nicer pics than canon A series cameras in low light...

mpenza

Jan 18, 2002
Singapore
www.instagram.com
with or without flash? if you're shooting with flash and the internal flash is too weak, get a camera that supports external flash.

ykgen

Sep 9, 2004
KL, Penang
i think u should look for camera that equips with IS or VR vibration reduction feature... ;)

Astin

Mar 2, 2002
Astin Studio
astin.clubsnap.org
glyuen said:
hi guys. i am currently using a Canon Powershot 300 and i am rather disappointed with its image quality especially under dimly lit conditions. can anyone recommend a digicam less than $800 at least 3meg with optical zoom that can yield considerable better images in low light ?
Your disappointment is because:
- handshake?
- underexposure?
- cannot focus?
- noisy digital files?
There are different recommendation for different problems.

ericp

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I'd have to say that most P&S digital cameras will not perform that well in low light, including some prosumer ones. By that, I mean not just image quality (especially when you have to shoot at high ISO with the associated image noise), but also focussing ability, low shutter speeds, etc.

Therefore you need to figure out what's the problem you're trying to solve (and Astin's list is a very good starting point), and then search the web (eg. dpreview) for something that addresses that problem, and see if the other limitations are within acceptable boundaries for you. Ever notice that almost all P&S digicam reviews don't give you many low-light samples, if at all ? Wonder why ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom