Recommendations for cameras

cjyong

Dec 21, 2006
Hi Guys,

I have stopped photography for about 2 years as I had sold my equipments mainly due to army. Previously I was a Nikon user.

As for now, I wish to purchase back a new camera.

I have in mind:

1) Nikon D300s + AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8 ED
2) Canon 7D + EF 24-70mm f2.8/L USM

Please help in giving me some advices, especially those that had use the above mentioned equipments before.

Thanks and cheers..

on a crop body u will lose out on the wide end... if its comfortable for u.. than nothin much to say...

those combos are excellent... either brands.....

on a crop body u will lose out on the wide end... if its comfortable for u.. than nothin much to say...

those combos are excellent... either brands.....

You are talking about the 24mm widest focal length on the 24-70 options given by TS?

If this is a general statement, then it's not true la. :)

You are talking about the 24mm widest focal length on the 24-70 options given by TS?

If this is a general statement, then it's not true la. :)

i had the same D300s with the 24-70 combo... it suits my normal walkabout range(36-105 factoring the 1.5x).... not craving for the wide end....

i just making a general statement thats all, if TS dont mind that range... than it will suit him.... :)

Thanks for the replies. I have been considering a full-frame camera, but that will be out of my budget.

As for the body of the cameras, others that the difference in the effective pixels, is there any more different that varies between these two bodies?

Thanks.

Nikon vs Canon asides, maybe you can consider D7000 over D300s? D7000 is a very good system which you shall seriously consider.

Nikon vs Canon asides, maybe you can consider D7000 over D300s? D7000 is a very good system which you shall seriously consider.

Thanks for your suggestion, D7000 really seemed to be a good system as well.. Actually what is the main difference between this two system other than the number of focusing points?

Thanks for your suggestion, D7000 really seemed to be a good system as well.. Actually what is the main difference between this two system other than the number of focusing points?

well other than the new sensor, more megapixels, slight cheaper price, better video... to simply sum it up.. and still retains its 100% viewfinder

google the comparisons reviews if u need more in depth knowledge of both cameras...

if you want the wide end on a crop body, do consider the 17-55/2.8. won't go wrong with canon or nikon. :)

Get an A850, full frame on a budget. ;)

But between your 2 choices, I'd suggest the D7000 instead. Better sensor, solid camera.

If you had consider using Fullframe and know what it is all abt (pros & cons), you should save a bit more and get fullframe body instead. From D300s, it's not too far away from D700.

cjyong said:
Hi Guys,

I have stopped photography for about 2 years as I had sold my equipments mainly due to army. Previously I was a Nikon user.

As for now, I wish to purchase back a new camera.

I have in mind:

1) Nikon D300s + AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8 ED
2) Canon 7D + EF 24-70mm f2.8/L USM

Please help in giving me some advices, especially those that had use the above mentioned equipments before.

Thanks and cheers..

Nikon's production seriously affected. Prices will/have gone up plus new launches may be put off. Not sure about Canon side. Consider Leica.

Nikon's production seriously affected. Prices will/have gone up plus new launches may be put off. Not sure about Canon side. Consider Leica.

Not really. And of all choices, Leica?

Bad advice. :p

u funny sia... asking TS to consider Leica, what the X1....

Not really. And of all choices, Leica?

Bad advice. :p

after what UncleFai posted in Kopitiam regarding camera supplies from Japan... haha. i wonder what's next... "don't buy japanese cameras because they are radioactive"?

Get a nikon since you previously are a nikon user. D7000 is a superb camera. ALMOST surpasses the D300s but not quite, D7000 is not fully magnesium alloy whilst D300s is. Other than that, Image quality, ISO performance beats the D300s.

This site contains very detailed comparisons, in point form so it's very easy to understand. I have afew you might be interested in.

D7k vs D300s:http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon_D300S-vs-Nikon_D7000
D7k vs EOS 7D: http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS_7D-vs-Nikon_D7000
D300s vs EOS 7D: http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS_7D-vs-Nikon_D300S

OR you can browse here for all the comparisons of all camera models.
http://snapsort.com/compare

Enjoy :cheers:

Last edited:
after what UncleFai posted in Kopitiam regarding camera supplies from Japan... haha. i wonder what's next... "don't buy japanese cameras because they are radioactive"?

hahahahha... no more anime for me... later also radioactive... hehehehe

should consider pentax K-5, beats D7000 in dxomark scores, and best selling in japan .....

TS, there are loads of camera choices. Why only D300 and 7D?
Do you need the rugged build and weather sealing? Or other stuff like supposed faster AF on 7D?

If not, do consider :
D7k - Still Nikon, newer sensor with better dynamic range at low ISO. Better performance than D300 at high ISO.
60D - same sensor as the 7D. Still a robust build, except that its not mag-alloy body. Advanced enthusiast body with it performance and buttons.
550D or 600D - same 18mp sensor as the 7D. Sacrifice of robus body/ weather sealing of course. Also has less fast access buttons and top lcd panel if you are ok with that.
A850 - Cheapest entry to digital 35mm FF.
K5 - Mag allow body, and weather sealing in a smaller package. In camera shake reduction. Many user customizable options in menu. Highest dynamic range at low ISO of all APS-C and FF cameras (14.1 stops). Fantastic high ISO performance.

I don't know why snapsort is often used as a site to compare cameras. Its just a brochure compilation.
Look at a detail review like those from DP review and sample images comparing o/p from the cameras to know what they can do.
Imaging Resource - http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM
DPR - http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

should consider pentax K-5, beats D7000 in dxomark scores, and best selling in japan .....

Care to share where you got this info?