Recommendations for a Ricoh street camera

wm910

Oct 20, 2010
Hi would like some recommendations for a Ricoh system so that I can bring overseas for some photography as it is light weight etc I'm OK to explore film or digital on the ricoh havjng read up I'm still not sure which is best suited. I do have a DSLR but at times find it heavy to lug around thanks

If you are looking at Ricoh, there isn't many models for you to choose from. All the GR and GRD models are wonderful cameras to carry around.

For ultimate picture quality - film GR, APS-C GR (I, II)
For ultimate compactness - GRD series (IV, III)

Have you considered pairing your DSLR with a small wide angle prime? Its liberating :)

I do have a A7ii with a 28mm F2 lens it’s no doubt lighter then a normal dslr but at times when I am out I feel like just having a small compact camera for the ultra lightness and portability in my bag. Also I wanted to try playing with a Ricoh system after seeing gd reviews for it

Was going around looking at the Ricoh GR II it’s around $980 for a new model. Was contemplating if I should get another lens instead.

If you are looking at Ricoh, there isn't many models for you to choose from. All the GR and GRD models are wonderful cameras to carry around.

For ultimate picture quality - film GR, APS-C GR (I, II)
For ultimate compactness - GRD series (IV, III)

Have you considered pairing your DSLR with a small wide angle prime? Its liberating :)

I do have a A7ii with a 28mm F2 lens it’s no doubt lighter then a normal dslr but at times when I am out I feel like just having a small compact camera for the ultra lightness and portability in my bag. Also I wanted to try playing with a Ricoh system after seeing gd reviews for it

Was going around looking at the Ricoh GR II it’s around $980 for a new model. Was contemplating if I should get another lens instead.

If you have the A7ii with FE28/2, then its a rather good choice already.
You can always opt to add a cheap (but not great) E-lens 16/2.8 or 20/2.8 (yes, and use in apsc mode)

For Pocketability, good interface and IQ, the GR is hard to beat.
A simple 28mm lens which is very versatile.
I'd say, try to find a GR (not II), (same lens, same sensor)

Thanks so much for the great advice esp from you.

In your opinion why the GR and not GR II? It’s seems like the II has alot of good reviews for IQ portability etc.

Can you enlighten me on the GR same lens same sensor?

Seems like the GR I APSC digital camera had discontinued as I was searching around the usual camera shops

Thanks once again

If you have the A7ii with FE28/2, then its a rather good choice already.
You can always opt to add a cheap (but not great) E-lens 16/2.8 or 20/2.8 (yes, and use in apsc mode)

For Pocketability, good interface and IQ, the GR is hard to beat.
A simple 28mm lens which is very versatile.
I'd say, try to find a GR (not II), (same lens, same sensor)

Last edited:

In your opinion why the GR and not GR II? It’s seems like the II has alot of good reviews for IQ portability etc.

Seems like the GR I APSC digital camera had discontinued as I was searching around the usual camera shops

Thanks once again

GR II has Wifi for extra feature but the rest of the features are the same as GR I

Thanks once again

As Felix has mentioned, the GR II adds the Wifi feature, which if you don't need it, you can save some money by trying to look for a GR instead. :)

As Felix has mentioned, the GR II adds the Wifi feature, which if you don't need it, you can save some money by trying to look for a GR instead. :)

Noted. Thanks Felix and Pinholecam have post online to look for one.