Recommendations for a new Big LCD Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vince123123

Hi guys,

I'm currently considering getting a new big LCD screen. At lesat 19 inches.

There's somewhat a wide selection available, and even within the same brand and same size, there are lots of choices available.

To assist in the discussion, here are my requirements:

1. Main use is in normal office related work, and also lots of Photoshop, Image Browsing etc. Hence, picture quality is the primary concern - colour/sharpness etc.

2. Almost never play games - hence fast response time is not necessary - however, how slow can I go?

3. Normal aspect ratio preferred to wide screen ratio. For the same inch size, normal aspect gives more pixels and is more suitable for the work that I do - mostly portrait oriented documents and photographs.

4. Currently eyeing the Dell 24 inch - yes I know its a wide screen, but it seems to be good.....but is the response time of 16ms too slow? Even consumer level ones seem to have 8ms as a norm...

5. Most of the LCDs today have specifications on brightness (in cd/m2), contrast ratio (xxx:1) and response time (x Ms) What are the minimum requirements to satisfy the main use in (1)?

6. Have been using Samsung in the past -they seem to be good. But I'm also attracted to Phillips perfect panel policy on allowing exchanges even for 1 dead pixel.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Any recommendations? Hope to get some idea before going to the PC Show.

Hi. We are in the same boat. I went to the PC show yesterday.

Now eyeing the LG 19 inch L1952S going for $399
or the Samsung 920N going for $379

LG one has an impressive contrast ratio of 1400:1

;)

hey i recommend you getting your monitor from simlim sq cos things sold at the IT fair r all at RRP.Try getting samsung model.cos all along i've been using the bran dand seem quite stable with deep color.

I am in the same situation as you.

Although I am considering Viewsonic VX2025 based on the current PCShow price today at $639, but I am leaning towards Dell 2007FP since they acknowledged the gradient banding and flicker problem.

I know this is slim but any CS user using their LCD right now care to comment whether Dell is good for photo-editing? :)

i use a dell ultrasharp at the moment its uncalibrated but prints are very similar if not exactly what i see on screen, im very happy with its perfomance, its bright, slim and very well designed

So, i would say it is pretty good for photo editing

What is the gradient banding and flicker problem?

The Dell 24 inch looks nice...and I just saw them coming up with a 30 inch!!

The problem for me with the VX2025 is that it is a widescreen monitor, with resolution 1680 x 1050 The 2007FP, seems to be better in the resolution area as it is 1600 x 1200. The corresponding one from Viewsonic seems to be the VP2130b (from the website).

BTW I thought the price of the VX2025 was S$679? They slashed it?

The thing is, all these are just specs - so I'm still hoping for someone to help with real life recommendations...

Lawyon said:
I am in the same situation as you.

Although I am considering Viewsonic VX2025 based on the current PCShow price today at $639, but I am leaning towards Dell 2007FP since they acknowledged the gradient banding and flicker problem.

I know this is slim but any CS user using their LCD right now care to comment whether Dell is good for photo-editing? :)

wildstallion said:
i use a dell ultrasharp at the moment its uncalibrated but prints are very similar if not exactly what i see on screen, im very happy with its perfomance, its bright, slim and very well designed

Thank you for your speedy response!! Do you think the colors are good for photo-editing? Most LCD colors are abit off, I am not sure if Dell's are worth considering
for this purpose.

Thanks!

Which model Ultrasharp are you using?

wildstallion said:

So, i would say it is pretty good for photo editing

Im not sure on the colours wearing off, ive only had it for like 3 months, so far the colours are still like new, i ll get back to you in a year or so :bsmilie:

Im using the DellTM 1707FP 17" UltraSharpTM LCD Monitor

Hi Vince,

The 2007FP problems can be found is all over the internet, do a search and you can find lots of discussions on it. Apparently, Dell "solved" the problem just a few days ago, therefore I am re-considering Dell again. Not to mention that at this attractive price it is tough not to consider the 2007FP because the specs is really good compared to othernot so many 20" LCD on the market. Just IMO.

vince123123 said:
What is the gradient banding and flicker problem?

The Dell 24 inch looks nice...and I just saw them coming up with a 30 inch!!

The problem for me with the VX2025 is that it is a widescreen monitor, with resolution 1680 x 1050 The 2007FP, seems to be better in the resolution area as it is 1600 x 1200. The corresponding one from Viewsonic seems to be the VP2130b (from the website).

BTW I thought the price of the VX2025 was S$679? They slashed it?

The thing is, all these are just specs - so I'm still hoping for someone to help with real life recommendations...

wildstallion said:
Im not sure on the colours wearing off, ive only had it for like 3 months, so far the colours are still like new, i ll get back to you in a year or so :bsmilie:

Im using the DellTM 1707FP 17" UltraSharpTM LCD Monitor

Do remember to put this in your calendar reminder! :)

i bought 2 samsung 17inch earlier, but they have burnt in image after only 3 months, had samsung changed them. Now I am using 3 screens with my notebook.

Lawyon said:
Hi Vince,

The 2007FP problems can be found is all over the internet, do a search and you can find lots of discussions on it. Apparently, Dell "solved" the problem just a few days ago, therefore I am re-considering Dell again. Not to mention that at this attractive price it is tough not to consider the 2007FP because the specs is really good compared to othernot so many 20" LCD on the market. Just IMO.
Hi, what do you man by the prob and what has Dell solved?

Thanks.

I heard that it only works fully with MACs and I dont use MACs.

The alternative is the Dell 30", but yes, its way too expensive.

Perhaps recommendations on something around 19-21 inches will be good.

westwest1 said:
apple 30"?

wildstallion said:
I thought LCD's took a very long time to become burned, especially when comparing to Plasma. am i wrong? 3 months is a very very short time

LCD's don't suffer from burn-in unlike CRT's and plasmas. Since the poster didn't specify whether she/ he is using crt's or lcd's, it'd be safe to assume that she/ he has the former.

Status
Not open for further replies.