Recommendations for a light, multi-purpose tripod

ctzeh

Jan 29, 2012
Hi all, I've never really used a tripod before so I need some recommendations for a light (around 1 kg) tripod that is good for landscapes, portrait shots etc. Thanks for all advice.

Try the Sirui range from TK. Light and steady at reasonable prices.

Hi all, I've never really used a tripod before so I need some recommendations for a light (around 1 kg) tripod that is good for landscapes, portrait shots etc. Thanks for all advice.

Perhaps you can share with us your camera and lens set-up? Makes it easier for everyone to provide more useful pointers :)

Try the Sirui range from TK. Light and steady at reasonable prices.

Hi Ziggy, thanks for the reply. Sirui is one of my main considerations given the reasonable prices. Thanks.

Perhaps you can share with us your camera and lens set-up? Makes it easier for everyone to provide more useful pointers :)

Hi Richie, I'm currently using the Canon 100D with either the Sigma 30mm or Canon 40mm STM. Total mass is 850g and 550g with each lens respectively.

- What is your budget?
Depending on your budget, you can consider Carbon Fiber type or Aluminium ones. The Alum ones are usually cheaper than the CF type, but much heavier than CF.

Weight, Stability and Cost. Pick any 2.

- Will you be bringing the tripod for travelling?
This may affect your choice of tripod also... Because travelling tripods are usually relatively short (~1.4m max) but is much easier to pack into luggage. But for walking about in Singapore, it may be abit short...

**With that said, my travelling tripod is a full sized one, abit more troublesome to pack into the luggage because of the height.

The best way to find out which tripod fits the best is to head down to TK and try it all. They have it all there for testing. Specs alone will not tell you how stable it is for your setup.

- What is your budget?
Depending on your budget, you can consider Carbon Fiber type or Aluminium ones. The Alum ones are usually cheaper than the CF type, but much heavier than CF.

Weight, Stability and Cost. Pick any

- Will you be bringing the tripod for travelling?
This may affect your choice of tripod also... Because travelling tripods are usually relatively short (~1.4m max) but is much easier to pack into luggage. But for walking about in Singapore, it may be abit short...

**With that said, my travelling tripod is a full sized one, abit more troublesome to pack into the luggage because of the height.

The best way to find out which tripod fits the best is to head down to TK and try it all. They have it all there for testing. Specs alone will not tell you how stable it is for your setup.

Hi Skystrike,

Thanks for the reply.

Here we got a sticky thread: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384016
Look for those stickies first if you have questions.

I have been using a slik sprint pro from about 7yrs.
Its about 1kg and a bit taller than some of the budget carbon options out there.

Downside is stability which is generally OK, but you need extra care if making adjustments without shifting by the camera.
The other is that the stock ball head is really basic.

no matter how good and how light your tripod you are about get, do make a habit to bring it out and use it often.
if you don't, it is just good as no tripod at all.

no matter how good and how light your tripod you are about get, do make a habit to bring it out and use it often.
if you don't, it is just good as no tripod at all.

Thanks Bro, will keep that in mind.

I have been using a slik sprint pro from about 7yrs.
Its about 1kg and a bit taller than some of the budget carbon options out there.

Downside is stability which is generally OK, but you need extra care if making adjustments without shifting by the camera.
The other is that the stock ball head is really basic.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Whichever tripod u go for make sure that it is stable and the head and legs can support your equipments well.

I have seem ppl using DSLR and heavy lens on a cheap Panasonic tripod and what happened next is the tripod loosen up and the camera crashed to the ground.

Whichever tripod u go for make sure that it is stable and the head and legs can support your equipments well.

I have seem ppl using DSLR and heavy lens on a cheap Panasonic tripod and what happened next is the tripod loosen up and the camera crashed to the ground.

Thanks bro for the advice. I've bought a Jusino tripod from a fellow forummer already.