Recommendations for a camera bag

Status
Not open for further replies.

itchy

Aug 19, 2004
Katong
Hi guys, putting my foot down and getting the 70-200mm VR but I realise I don't have any of those computrekker s*** to lug it around with. Currently using a D50 and got 4 lenses, one 10-20mm, 28mm and 50mm and in the very near future the 70-200mm. Any recommendations for a good bag to have? Doesn't really matter if it can store the laptop anot cause my laptop... i thinking of BERing it already. Going for desktop power... thanks ah. goooood ah VR...

What's your preference? Shoulder bag? Backpack? Waist bag?

If backpack, I'd recommend the Lowe Pro Minitrekker AW. Affordable, spacious and can also store a small laptop. Some pics here and over here.

I don't quite like the Lowe Pro shoulder bags since they do not provide ample support when slung on shoulder. Much prefer Domke for shoulder bags. The metal hinges on the Domke don't allow the bag to sway if it's loaded heavily. The J-3 or J-2 would be good choices for your setup. They are a little pricey though.

itchy said:
Hi guys, putting my foot down and getting the 70-200mm VR but I realise I don't have any of those computrekker s*** to lug it around with. Currently using a D50 and got 4 lenses, one 10-20mm, 28mm and 50mm and in the very near future the 70-200mm. Any recommendations for a good bag to have? Doesn't really matter if it can store the laptop anot cause my laptop... i thinking of BERing it already. Going for desktop power... thanks ah. goooood ah VR...
VR..... SWEE MAN! :thumbsup: ;p
Go here and take your pick! ;)

Guess I forgot to input pricing as a consideration. mmmmy budget wooould bbbbbe $150??? Not sure how much do tamrac or tenba cost... thanks for inputs so far! For the ease of carrying, a backpack would be mroe suitable. Such a long lens ...might not be suitable to use a shoulder bag leh, scared put undue stress in the centre portion of the lens while the bag rests on my waist with the two ends sticking out. Is this a relevant concern?

itchy said:
Guess I forgot to input pricing as a consideration. mmmmy budget wooould bbbbbe $150??? Not sure how much do tamrac or tenba cost... thanks for inputs so far! For the ease of carrying, a backpack would be mroe suitable. Such a long lens ...might not be suitable to use a shoulder bag leh, scared put undue stress in the centre portion of the lens while the bag rests on my waist with the two ends sticking out. Is this a relevant concern?
with which 2 ends sticking out? :what: no issues from what i have experienced with my long lenses and sometimes attached to the body, placed in a sling bag (e.g. the Stealth Reporter D650).
Best is to go CP Penn or TK foto and have a look to judge for yourself. we can talk till tomorrow and you still wun have any idea of wat we're talking abt. Bags are of a personnal preference and liking. what suits one, may not suit you. ;)

just got my domke J3 today...though it looks smaller than a f2, you can really pack alot of gear in it! very generous space inside and the bag is also taller for your future 70-200.

i could pack d200 w grip, 12-24, 17-55, 85/1.8 and 180/2.8 w sb800 in it! and best part...the lens are easily acessible during shoot.. all lens w hood mounted! i jsut dont like the rubber clip thingy on the side pouch....think i gonna cut them away

surge said:
just got my domke J3 today...though it looks smaller than a f2, you can really pack alot of gear in it! very generous space inside and the bag is also taller for your future 70-200.

i could pack d200 w grip, 12-24, 17-55, 85/1.8 and 180/2.8 w sb800 in it! and best part...the lens are easily acessible during shoot.. all lens w hood mounted! i jsut dont like the rubber clip thingy on the side pouch....think i gonna cut them away
maybe you can take a peakture of it to help the TS visualise better? ;)

ipin said:
maybe you can take a peakture of it to help the TS visualise better? ;)

here are the pics. side pocket padded too, can keep lens inside.. the lens w hood sits very comfortably in the center compartment and easily taken out and put in. no need to squeeze

j3-2.jpg

j3-1.jpg

This bag looks strangely familiar hahahahaha

The 70-200 VR is quite heavy. Slinging on just 1 shoulder with the rest of your equipment, you'll get tired and sore quite fast.

If you're trekking long distances, it's easier to carry with a backpack. Haven't tried Tenba or Tamrac, as I only have lowepro or crumpler bags. Find the Lowepro mini trekker sufficient for my stuff

itchy said:
This bag looks strangely familiar hahahahaha

actually the J series bag looks like lowepro street and field bag. just that i find that domke bags tends to be softeer and 'wrap' around you while lowepro seems a big bulk at the side.

itchy said:

I believe a Nova 4 AW can fit your setup nicely.
A friend who uses a 20D + 70-200 lens + 50 + 17-40 + a flash can fit all in his Nova 4 AW.

I otoh uses Compact AW for my shoulder bag to load 2 D single digit with 80-200 in the LC case outside, 17-35, 60mm , 50mm , 10.5 FE and SB-800 inside
or CompuTrekker AW with the 80-200 mounted and inside.

And I think I bought the Compact AW for $135 in Singapore 3 years back.

Nova 4AW, can consider that would be pretty cost efficient too. I already have the Nova 3AW so maybe can do a trade in the BnS. Anyone has any experience with Tamrac Velocity 9? Seems like a pretty nifty bag.

i use a lowepro sr400 second hand bag with strap changed to one of those neoprene ones. got it off a fellow clubsnapper. it holds 2 bodies, 4 lenses (including the 70-200 vr) and a flash, plus batteries and stuff. it's nice and compact and easy to lug around. and easy to put things in and get things out. very nice and versatile. i think a backpack is not as good for my kind of photography (travel/street photography). if you're into trekking and landscapes, maybe a backpack is better.

one bad thing about back pack is the bag itself weighs a lot, used to have a nature trekker. the bag alone is heavy to carry around. w tripod, cameras and stuff. really can die man. and also to change lens is really a pain

a backpack is only good for long trips to go from one location to another
but once you get to your location, it is a pain to use.

i like my equipment ready to use.
I too have a Domke J3 and i like the ease of use,
when i want to change lens or pull out the stuff from the bag.

surge said:
here are the pics. side pocket padded too, can keep lens inside.. the lens w hood sits very comfortably in the center compartment and easily taken out and put in. no need to squeeze
thanks for the peaktures! ;)
below are some links to the different manufacturers mentioned here :

Lowepro
Tenba
Tamrac

I'm not sure which model in particular but the Domke shoulder bag was really comfortable even when loaded up with lenses and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.