recommendation

jy3433

Oct 10, 2011
Hi all

I'm getting a point n shoot kind of camera (auto mode mostly)

I like Panasonic .gf5 and Sony nex5n (is Panasonic gx better than .gf?)

Could you guys help me out here?

Between .gf & nex ,which should i get ?As price is similar about 1k

Appreciate your replies

Many thanks guys.

Hi all

I'm getting a point n shoot kind of camera (auto mode mostly)

I like Panasonic .gf5 and Sony nex5n (is Panasonic gx better than .gf?)

Could you guys help me out here?

Between .gf & nex ,which should i get ?As price is similar about 1k

Appreciate your replies

Many thanks guys.

If you're only getting point-and-shoot why do you want mirrorless? Get Sony RX100 or save your money and get Panasonic LX7

Recommendation #1: Learn how to properly title threads that you start. "Recommendation" could be for paracetamol, char kway teow, steak, shoes, etc.

Recommendation #2: The Sony RX100 is a point and shoot with a huge sensor. The NEX and the GF series are mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras.

my apologies for the subject,I should have been more detailed.

many thanks guys for the information

if I'm looking at these 2 mirrorless camera,which would u recommend?

to use oftenly in auto mode with pns

jy3433 said:
my apologies for the subject,I should have been more detailed.

many thanks guys for the information

if I'm looking at these 2 mirrorless camera,which would u recommend?

to use oftenly in auto mode with pns

The nex will give the best iq, but the lens is bulkier.

many thanks rashkae

why not the RX100? are you going to buy lenses for the interchangeable mirrorless camera of your choice?

many thanks rashkae

by taking a MILC, especially NEX, you should know that the lens is super expensive =) i also recently owned one and is my 1st gear on photography~~ @____@ i get messed up a lot of time and still finding way to fix it. =3=

Hi tecnica

I'm only gonna use the 2lens that comes with the camera

Not buying additional lens

My friend owns a gf and it's good to me that's why I'm seeking opinion on nex series and comparing to gf series

Budget is around 1k and I prefer this size of camera then those pro dslr

Hi m32t

Thanks for the information and advise

I'm trying not to get additional lens..hopefully the lens given by them is sufficient good enough for me.

Then I rather you get the Sony.. Since you are limiting yourself to 2 lenses anyway.. With the Sony, it's kinda all in one.. No need bring additional lenses..

tks a lot tecnica

I'll go check out the reviews again

The Sony and the M43 are different system. The nex has bigger sensor but the m43 has a more comprehensive lens selection and the lens are smaller. It depends on what you like to capture. If you travel quite a bit, and like to take landscape with ultra wide, the M43 is for you. For M43, you may also want to look at olympus pens and omd. They all share same lenses system as the gf5, but comes with in built image stabliser.

Hi treleh

Tks for the guidance

I'm more looking at taking pics of sons and surroundings when we have outings
The new omd is too expensive for me.
I'll visit the camera shops n try them.

Tyvm guys

Sorry when I say Sony, I meant the rx100.. Not the nex series..

Ok since you're only intending for a good auto mode, no desire to upgrade lenses, I suggest Sony NEX-F3 instead of 5N. F3 comes with pop-up tiltable flash (bouncing flash against the ceiling is great for lowlight indoors) that 5N doesn't have (5N is external flash and quite flimsy). Yes, build not so good but unless you plan on climbing mt kinabalu with it, it really doesn't matter in a place like Sg. As others have said, Sony lenses are quite bulky. However, they are going to come out with a new pancake powerzoom soon, so you may want to wait and see which cameras the powerzoom is compatible with if lens bulkiness is a big deal to you.

If you insist it must be pocketable and you need it now, go for the GF3 lor. Slightly worse image quality, harder to get background blur, but lenses are much smaller and better selection. Why you don't consider Olympus E-P3? Got in-body image stabilization that Panasonic don't have.

Last edited:
Sorry when I say Sony, I meant the rx100.. Not the nex series..

RX100 is great. Just make sure you buy a fast memory card instead of using the sloooooow SDCard they bundle.

Hi treleh

Tks for the guidance

I'm more looking at taking pics of sons and surroundings when we have outings
The new omd is too expensive for me.
I'll visit the camera shops n try them.

Tyvm guys

The Photokina event is just around the corner. This is the time when companies launches new camera models. If you wait a bit, you can get access to the newer models. The older models of camera are also likely to be cheaper then.

You can save a lot if you would consider buying a Canon S95 (one model earlier than S100), which will suit your purposes very well. We have two S95s and an S100 in our extended family, and these cameras have gone with us far and wide to many countries and gave good photos. You can save even more if you "dare" to buy online from Amazon or B&H. We bought one that way when it was newly launched, and it's still serving us very well. (It is about US$360 now.)

+1 for s95/s100. If you are going to be in auto mode anyway, its quite pointless to get the more expensive interchangeable lens cameras.

S95/100 performs decently well for almost anything except low light. DSLR is not going to do well in low light either if u just auto mode.

If pocketability is not too impt, can consider g12/g1x.