Recommendation / Suggestion of Rugged Underwater Camera

bumperbees

Mar 17, 2008
Hi all, I have been searching for a underwater camera for my daughter swimming and overseas trip. Come across Nikon AW120 & Olympus TG3, have heard different opinion from shops and made me confused which to get?

Anyone kind soul here has experienced OR hands-on for both camera and which has better choice in IQ, Function & Value for Money?

Thanks in advance and hope to see comment here soon, Cheers.

Bumperbees:D

No one here can give any comments or advised???:what:

Personally have seen tg2 in action n the shots are quite impressive. The only problem from my point of view is the gasket used on the battery compartment. Have to be very careful as I have seen tg2 flooded because of a leak through the battery cover.

No experience on the nikon or canon waterproof models but they should perform well in swimming pool or shallow water of 5m or less.

Btw, you can find out more info from the underwater photography user group.

Feel free to pm me if you have morr queries n I shall try to help

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the Olympus, but I bought a used Nikon AW100 and have been quite impressed by features and quality of the photos. While not the same quality as a full featured compact, the pictures were still quite decent. The battery compartment locking is one of the better designed ones I've seen and isn't easy to accidentally pop open. Also the 1cm macro mode is very useful.

Personally have seen tg2 in action n the shots are quite impressive. The only problem from my point of view is the gasket used on the battery compartment. Have to be very careful as I have seen tg2 flooded because of a leak through the battery cover.

No experience on the nikon or canon waterproof models but they should perform well in swimming pool or shallow water of 5m or less.

Btw, you can find out more info from the underwater photography user group.

Feel free to pm me if you have morr queries n I shall try to help

Thanks for yr advise and help

I'm not familiar with the Olympus, but I bought a used Nikon AW100 and have been quite impressed by features and quality of the photos. While not the same quality as a full featured compact, the pictures were still quite decent. The battery compartment locking is one of the better designed ones I've seen and isn't easy to accidentally pop open. Also the 1cm macro mode is very useful.

Thanks for yr help

If your budget permits, check out the Nikon AW1. If timing permits and you get lucky the AW2 will get released at Photokina 2014 with all the kinks ironed out from version 1.

I've owned 'tough' cameras in the past from Olympus and Sony but wasn't too impressed with IQ but this is going back a few years. I've also tried a Canon G12 with an underwater casing back in 2011 for the purpose of scuba diving but ultimately sold it cos I found the casing cumbersome.

Go for the TG3. Add a underwater housing, you won't regret it. I have seen shots taken by a diver and it's superb. I am not sure about that Nikon, but that TG3 comes with Underwater mode and you do not need to add a RED filter and do not really need to do any post processing. Also there is that Super Macro mode. it' really fantastic.

From another forum..

Night dive
http://mychiaroscuro.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7510

Day dive
http://mychiaroscuro.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7512
(admin, pls remove if it's violating forum rules.)

Every underwater camera you have to check the seals on all the doors. just a hair caught in the o-rings will cause a leak. It is not just a problem with the TG-2, but it is a problem with all underwater cameras and casings.

A while back I had the same decision. Looked at the AW110 and TG2 and went for the TG2 in the end.

If your budget permits, check out the Nikon AW1. If timing permits and you get lucky the AW2 will get released at Photokina 2014 with all the kinks ironed out from version 1.

I've owned 'tough' cameras in the past from Olympus and Sony but wasn't too impressed with IQ but this is going back a few years. I've also tried a Canon G12 with an underwater casing back in 2011 for the purpose of scuba diving but ultimately sold it cos I found the casing cumbersome.

Is the AW1 even available in Singapore?