recommendation on cameras budget 500-600 sgd

jiahuii

Dec 19, 2010
As above. Looking for mini dslr kind camera. Anyone have any recommendations and where to get it at a better price? Lucky plazza? Heard about the lumix Lx5 and Canon s95 anyone know the price currently?
Need to get a new camera and i rly know nth much about the camera but getting one for my upcoming europe trip, i need one that can rly prevent anti-shake cos i have really shaky hands! pls advise! thanks!!

If you dont want to be conned, stay away from lucky plaza or sim lim square. The reputable shops are listed in the price guide section!

As above. Looking for mini dslr kind camera. Anyone have any recommendations and where to get it at a better price? Lucky plazza? Heard about the lumix Lx5 and Canon s95 anyone know the price currently?
Need to get a new camera and i rly know nth much about the camera but getting one for my upcoming europe trip, i need one that can rly prevent anti-shake cos i have really shaky hands! pls advise! thanks!!

I think you should look into micro four thirds instead.And please avoid Lucky Plaza for camera stuffs except for Iphoto.Try Funan instead...

P.S We have a price guide for almost every brand of camera here.

if u strech ur budget by a bit i think u can get a pentax k-x with built in body stabilizer it's a quite light camera(500-600gr with battery and kit lens on), if u're looking into more pocketable one, S95 will be at ur max budget(a "pocketable" micro 4/3 will cost around 900-1000 new)

Last edited:
definitely u can get S95 for under $600.. ard $595 at MS color.
but i doubt u can get LX5 at ur budget.

or if u want DSLR.. ur budget can also get a used pentax K-x too.

hey all . Thanks for the prompt reply but i couldn't find the price of cameras under the price list? Only managed to find price of lens? anyone can give me the link? or tell me how much is it now and the sd card included? Anw, is funan a good place? Allows bargaining and all? Or is it standard price everywhere?

hey all . Thanks for the prompt reply but i couldn't find the price of cameras under the price list? Only managed to find price of lens? anyone can give me the link? or tell me how much is it now and the sd card included? Anw, is funan a good place? Allows bargaining and all? Or is it standard price everywhere?

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=124

I think I recall a second hand 400D and tamron 17-50mm for 800 dollars at the buy and sell section of the forum. Depends on whether you really interested in dslr photography or start with a good compact first. Though compact not as nice as dslr.

Lots of questions in a single post :D
Easy there tiger...

Funan is generally a good place to shop for cameras. It pays to be armed with knowledge beforehand.
There are bad apples as well though.
Look through the price guides to find a list of reputable shops. Call/email them for quotes beforehand, then when you're satisfied with the price, go down to make your purchase :)

Thanks for the link but I couldn't find s95 there? Where shld I look under the canon price list? I think I will most probably go for s95. Is it easy to use for ppl who hv no knowledge for camera? Or shld I just go or those normal Ixus canon compact camera?

Thanks for the link but I couldn't find s95 there? Where shld I look under the canon price list? I think I will most probably go for s95. Is it easy to use for ppl who hv no knowledge for camera? Or shld I just go or those normal Ixus canon compact camera?
It's really hard to recommend a specific camera for you without understanding your needs fully. If you yourself aren't too sure, I guess you gotta take a plunge and try it out for yourself.

But without some basic knowledge of photography, I'm afraid you may be disappointed with it too.

for latest price, u need to call the store and ask them to quote..

frankly bro.. u really need to read the manual to understand the operation of a cam.

and if u can operate any compact cam, i dont see why u cant with S95.. so no worry..

Last edited:
It's really hard to recommend a specific camera for you without understanding your needs fully. If you yourself aren't too sure, I guess you gotta take a plunge and try it out for yourself.

But without some basic knowledge of photography, I'm afraid you may be disappointed with it too.

just to add on to bro Zero, the emphasis is what you really want out of the camera. if your aim is to start off into the entire art of photography, you may refer to the sticky by bro zoossh as a guide for your journey...

I am looking for one wif good anti shake, n good colour resolution. Pixel not that impt n must be compact since I will be bringing around. I saw the picture quality of canon s90 on someone blog n am really amazed with it. Anyone can recommend me any cheaper alternatives compact camera so that I can do some research n go to the shop to compare? What about brands like Sony?

I am looking for one wif good anti shake, n good colour resolution. Pixel not that impt n must be compact since I will be bringing around. I saw the picture quality of canon s90 on someone blog n am really amazed with it. Anyone can recommend me any cheaper alternatives compact camera so that I can do some research n go to the shop to compare? What about brands like Sony?

Your very first post of the thread, you said you were looking for "mini-DSLR" type of camera. I assumed that meant a prosumer/superzoom, which isn't that compact.
So now extreme compactness is high on your priority list? I'm confused.
And beware not to attribute a good photograph solely to the camera. A skillful and knowledgeable photographer helps... GREATLY! ;)
The photos on the blog may be heavily processed, giving you wrong impression. Then you buy and feel disappointed, like you bought a dud. Then how?
:dunno:

Sorry. I more or less decide on canon s95. I'm rather new so my meaning of mini dslr are those that are small but have great capabilities. Can start to learn abit n take scenery pic for my Europe exchange right? Or you guys think normal Ixus would br enough? I will be bringing it to cold places like Norway. Will it be able to withstand the cold? And after searching the whole price list I still can't find the price. But someone here says it's 595 at ms colour, you guys knw what does it come included? sorry for many qn asked cos need to research asap n get one soon! Thanks for all the replies so far!

Sorry. I more or less decide on canon s95. I'm rather new so my meaning of mini dslr are those that are small but have great capabilities. Can start to learn abit n take scenery pic for my Europe exchange right? Or you guys think normal Ixus would br enough? I will be bringing it to cold places like Norway. Will it be able to withstand the cold? And after searching the whole price list I still can't find the price. But someone here says it's 595 at ms colour, you guys knw what does it come included? sorry for many qn asked cos need to research asap n get one soon! Thanks for all the replies so far!

For your infomation,the shops telephone numbers are also stored in the price guides.Pick up your phone and ask them for a quote(And freebies included)...

just to guide you out for the first time, you may refer here for a list of shops commonly visited by the bros and sis here