Recommendation on a good / budget lens for nice depth of field .. portraits of people

leobox1

Jun 15, 2008
anyone thanks..

solos, couples or may people in action or small groups.. will like a good DOF

currently using k-x 18-55m f3.6 -5.6

tough lol

anyone thanks..

tough lol

what sort of budget you have in mind?

dont laugh at me ok? just as cheap as possible..

Source for a 2nd hand dal 35mm 2.4

how much?

i believe this would not be the first time someone asked you what exactly is the budget that u have in mind... please don't act mysterious - how much is your budget?

its much more efficient that you tell us, then for us to reply you the value of every single suggestion.

i believe this would not be the first time someone asked you what exactly is the budget that u have in mind... please don't act mysterious - how much is your budget?

its much more efficient that you tell us, then for us to reply you the value of every single suggestion.

sorry my apologies .. not acting mysterious.. just scare kanna laugh at.. i only have around two hundred :(

i've seen on b&s

a few month old da35 2.4 around $240 asking price, give or take $20 to 30 for black one? Other colour more ex

currently asking price a50 1.7 is 185, m50 1.7 is 135 and m50 1.4 is 170 (if i remember correctly)

go to pentax b&s and look ya?:)

sorry my apologies .. not acting mysterious.. just scare kanna laugh at.. i only have around two hundred :(

nothing to laugh at. a budget is a budget. if u don't say, how we know what u need? how we know if your "on budget" means $100, $200, $500 or $1k? :)

for your budget, i would suggest the DA35 F2.4... its abt 270 brand new according to the price guide. can probably get it for a bit less 2nd hand.

the cheap manual focus 50mm lenses, i don't recommend. they're good glass and fast, but having AF helps when u need it and i do find 50mm a tad bit long on a cropped sensor, esp when using indoors.

nothing to laugh at. a budget is a budget. if u don't say, how we know what u need? how we know if your "on budget" means $100, $200, $500 or $1k? :)

for your budget, i would suggest the DA35 F2.4... its abt 270 brand new according to the price guide. can probably get it for a bit less 2nd hand.

the cheap manual focus 50mm lenses, i don't recommend. they're good glass and fast, but having AF helps when u need it and i do find 50mm a tad bit long on a cropped sensor, esp when using indoors.

thanks.. will DA35 F2.4 give the nice DOF effect like those wedding or personal portrait photos?

Yet another 1 who thinks buying lens can give the desired effect without knowing even the very basics of photography.
Do more homework, all the info are within few clicks away, this is especially useful for people who are on very limited budget.

That aside, how do you even define a "good" DOF?
Large DOF is "good" for landscapes while thin DOF is "good" for portraitures.

Wait, do you even know what DOF means?

If your good dof means narrow... then Pentax-A 50mm f2.0 is cheap and good.
It should sell for ~$80.

50mm is good for solos and couple. Groups you need 28mm or shorter... normally.

thanks.. will DA35 F2.4 give the nice DOF effect like those wedding or personal portrait photos?

check you the link posted by JinG14. It is a review done by bro Fengwei with many sample pix.

if bokeh's what u want, this one should suit your needs for now. at least until u got more budget...

35bw504.jpg

This is the kind of Bokeh that you can get from this little lens even though it is just f2.4. This photo is my mouse on my desk with my laptop in the background.

anyone thanks..

tough lol

Indoors or outdoors?

A manual focus A50/2 or f1.7 will be nice. Not expensive at all.

Any prime between 28mm and 35mm will be ideal for an all purpose lens and from my short eperience in Pentax, I am certain Pentax has the best range of such lenses for cropped bodies. If you can afford, the FA 31f1.8, otherwise the best value for money DA 35f2.4. In between you have the F28f2.8, FA 35f2 and DA 35f2.8 macro. There are more choices if you don't mind manual focus. I like this particualar focal length range because you can go closer to your subjects as most of these lenses have a short MFD. When you shoot close to your subject, you can get good blur-off back ground transition, like some of my flower photos I shot with my FA31f1.8. It's MFD is 25cm ( 1 foot) and after 3 months, I still don't have enough of this lens and it's stuck to my K5. No other brand has such a range for their cropped bodies.

FA 31f1.8 at f2.8 on K5
5745271708_78c45e8e4e_b.jpg