Recommendation of suitable DSLR

teeteng

Mar 22, 2009
Dear experts out there

My friend wishes to invest in a basic Canon DSLR body which is versatile enough for her to have range of lens that will be suitable to her needs. Thought just ask from the gurus on her behalf.

She will be using it mainly for flora and fauna with some landscape, and the most she will invest in is a basic zoom lens of up to 135mm.

Please advise...thank you

Yes, Canon is suitable :D
(you already laid out the camera already by mentioning "a basic Canon DSLR body ")
what more to advise? :D

1100D if on really limited budget;
550D or 600D if budget allows. ;)

Canon 1100d with 18-135mm

Is this what she looking for?
Think that size for lady is good small
18-135 can use for landscape as well

well i also think that 1100d is better for ur fren if shes on tight budget, but 550d or 600d will be better =)

Canon basic DSLR = 1100D
no other choice..

if ur friend dont mind 2nd hand.. then go for a used 550D

Dear experts out there

My friend wishes to invest in a basic Canon DSLR body which is versatile enough for her to have range of lens that will be suitable to her needs. Thought just ask from the gurus on her behalf.

She will be using it mainly for flora and fauna with some landscape, and the most she will invest in is a basic zoom lens of up to 135mm.

Should ask your friend to not be so quick to narrow down to Canon only. It's definitely a good brand nonetheless, but at the very least your friend should make an informed decision after considering more options.

1100D kit is good enough to start with. Then, get a prime macro lens for flora and fauna, prime macro lenses gives that "wow"

Thank you all for your advice. Very insightful for my friend.

my advice would be go with bodies that offer adjustable lcd screen in case wish to take picture at unusual angles.

Its useful in this case. The Canon G12 also can do the job unless require constant f/2.8 or use of specialty glass.

Last edited:
Must it be Canon, is she opened to other camera brands such as Sony, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, Panasonic and even Samsung? Is she comfortable in using mirrorless format, SLT format, APS-C or FF? Well... basic Canon DSLR can means many things, for one, I find 60D quite basic...

Actually for lady user and since speed is not what you are looking at (because landscape, flora, fauna, won't run around), I think mirrorless format might be a good solution. For mirrorless systems, you can look at Olympus/ Panasonic's m4/3 system, Sony's NEX system and Samsung's NX system. All these systems give you very good quality pics and is small, light and look pretty cool. They have good supporting accessories too.

For 'normal' DSLR, you can look at the rest of the brands such as Sony, Pentax, Canon and Nikon... all of them produce excellent pics, but focus on different aspect such as movie mode, vari LCD, fast speed (A55), etc. you would need to ask your friend to go to the shops and has a feel of these camera, then get one that suits her best.

I'm curious too, must it be Canon for her?

Must be. Canon starts with C. C has curves, therefore more feminine. :bsmilie:

j/k

Must be. Canon starts with C. C has curves, therefore more feminine. :bsmilie:

j/k

SG photogs have more curves than most non-pregnant local women... ;)

Dear experts out there

canon 600d with 18-135 IS lens should fit the bill nicely.

Dear experts out there

Invest? What is the annual rate of return? -15%, -30%, -45%? :bsmilie:

spree86 said:
I'm curious too, must it be Canon for her?

I will provide her with the various options but it seemed she prefers canon...thank u for all the advises

I will provide her with the various options but it seemed she prefers canon...thank u for all the advises

She needs this camera to look different ;)
pentax-k-x-pink.jpg