Recommendation of Portable Storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

romeo

May 7, 2002
Lost
Visit site
Anybody any suggestions? :)

Gonna go holiday next mth fer 2 weeks.. So I dun think my 1GB CF might be enuff :(

Gotta look fer alternatives to copy the pics out... Budget around 300+.

romeo said:

Gonna go holiday next mth fer 2 weeks.. So I dun think my 1GB CF might be enuff :(

check out eastgear.com for their selection. either dat or browse ard buy/sell? there are a few x-drivesII floating ard.

2100 said:
Actually, you might want to shoot in 3000x2000 res but normal jpg mode for your D70, esp if you are not using a top notch lens. It is around 30-40% smaller in filesize but you don't really lose out in the quality. Try shooting a decently detailed scene at both quality settings and do an A/B comparison @ 100%....you will be very hard pressed to tell the diff. It's good to use this when shooting in lengthy continuous mode often too (eg vehicle safari).
512MB can easily let you do 300 shots.
Thanks for the recommendations :)

I'm gonna be shooting at my brother's school there too, so might have to take quite a lot of pictures as there's a parents-teachers conference then... :)

romeo said:

Actually, you might want to shoot in 3000x2000 res but normal jpg mode for your D70, esp if you are not using a top notch lens. It is around 30-40% smaller in filesize but you don't really lose out in the quality. Try shooting a decently detailed scene at both quality settings and do an A/B comparison @ 100%....you will be very hard pressed to tell the diff. It's good to use this when shooting in lengthy continuous mode often too (eg vehicle safari).
512MB can easily let you do 300 shots.

Or can get a Kingston CF for just $267. http://www.flashcard-bestbuy.com/shop/storefront/browse.asp?cat=101&path=1,101
Either that or buy 2nd hand, then sell after you have used it and you lose like $10-20 only? Whichever is cheaper for ya.....people aren't selling 2nd hand CF cheaply nowadays (sometimes even more expensive than 1st hand.....and there are suckers buying them! :bigeyes: Doesn't sound nice but that's the truth i am seeing).

X-Drives always has this problem of the battery dying quite fast, as in 1 year+. Doesn't help that it is using proprietary Li-ion and it's built-in, non-removable type.

You can borrow my 4GB microdrive for two weeks if u bring me nice souvenir!

Phildate said:
You can borrow my 4GB microdrive for two weeks if u bring me nice souvenir!
hahaha.. I'll think about it :)

Anyway.. those who used the X-drive II?? Any comments on like.. how reliable it is?? Any problems with it so far?? Can hardly find any reviews on it...

How's the read-write speed from the CF card? And it acts as an external drive when plugged into the USB of a PC/laptop right? :)

romeo said:

My experience is 1Gig is not enough....Invest in a portable storage :)
Anyway Its around ur budget range

rainman said:
My experience is 1Gig is not enough....Invest in a portable storage :)
Anyway Its around ur budget range
I know 1 GB is not enuff :(

Just not sure which one to invest in since there aren't much reviews about portable storage :(

"X-Drives always has this problem of the battery dying quite fast, as in 1 year+. Doesn't help that it is using proprietary Li-ion and it's built-in, non-removable type."

One way to overcome this problem is to do it indoor with a AC power source nearby. Then you wouldn't have to worry about battery going dry. Just make sure you go out with a empty card in the morning

"How's the read-write speed from the CF card? And it acts as an external drive when plugged into the USB of a PC/laptop right?"

the read-write is not very fast. around 10-15 min for 0.5 gb. I'm using a X-drive II with a 5400rpm hitachi 20gb hd

Status
Not open for further replies.