Recommendation of flashlight for beginners

Marcus7

Oct 10, 2011
Chinatown
Good day fellow CSers...I would like to explore into the world of flash photography but is unsure which brand or system of "flash" would u guys recommend to a noob like mi...Is there a particular brand or model tat is good,suitable or user-friendly tat is available in the market?I don't mind to get a 2nd hand flashlight to begin with...& BTW,I am using the Canon EOS 60D. Thanks to all the good people of CS.Cheers!:cheers::cheers:

Good day fellow CSers...I would like to explore into the world of flash photography but is unsure which brand or system of "flash" would u guys recommend to a noob like mi...Is there a particular brand or model tat is good,suitable or user-friendly tat is available in the market?I don't mind to get a 2nd hand flashlight to begin with...& BTW,I am using the Canon EOS 60D. Thanks to all the good people of CS.Cheers!:cheers::cheers:

maglite is good.

580EXII if you don't mind the size, weight and price.

Canon 430EXII should be good enough.

tecnica said:
580EXII if you don't mind the size, weight and price.

IMHO, the size different is not so much compare to 430EX.

For beginners, you don't need to spend too much at getting the 580EX or the 430EX, frankly, just get the Nissin 866Di or the 633Di... or the Yongnuo YN565EX ($2xx)... however before going into choosing a speedlite, maybe you should also be clear on why you want a flash? What type of photography are you into? Do you really need a very powerful flash or a flash with lesser power will do?

Remember... only get what you need.

Budget, Simple TTL, Manual Flash: YongNuo Flash 468 II ($100+) or 565 EX ($200+)
*But YN does not offer high speed sync (means no shutter speed higher than 1/250, depends on camera)

Nissin Flash, di866 mk II ($350~370+), with colour LCD screen, with high speed sync, cheaper than Canon

If no budget control - Canon 580 EX II ($500~$600)

I currently using Nissin di866 mkII as my main flash, with the YongNuo 468 as side/ backup flash

rhino123 said:
For beginners, you don't need to spend too much at getting the 580EX or the 430EX, frankly, just get the Nissin 866Di or the 633Di... or the Yongnuo YN565EX ($2xx)... however before going into choosing a speedlite, maybe you should also be clear on why you want a flash? What type of photography are you into? Do you really need a very powerful flash or a flash with lesser power will do?

Remember... only get what you need.

I think you mean the Nissin Di622 and Di866. To TS, take note that the Di622 has mark 1 and mark 2

I think you mean the Nissin Di622 and Di866. To TS, take note that the Di622 has mark 1 and mark 2

Oh yeah. That is what I mean, Di622 and Di866 (too many numbers, always get confuse...) oh... btw both the Di866 and Di622 had a mk1 or mk2...

rhino123 said:
Oh yeah. That is what I mean, Di622 and Di866 (too many numbers, always get confuse...) oh... btw both the Di866 and Di622 had a mk1 or mk2...

Wow I'm out of touch, I thought only the 622 has. :bsmilie:

It's a bit risky getting a 2nd hand flash because you won't know how much (ab)use it has gone through. If you have a large budget, go for the Canon 430EXII or 580EXII for maximum compatibility with your 60D.

I'm not too sure whether the 3rd party brands support wireless ETTL with the 60D, but the above-mentioned two models allows you to do wireless control and trigger when you are ready to explore different lighting options .

Yes! You are veri right...get wat u reali nid.Thanks for the help!

I'm speaking from personal experience and I'm saying all these in the external flash context.

I feel that either you get a cheap 3rd party one or the flagship first party. It'll save you the upgrading cost in the long run, should you feel the need to get a better flash unit in the future.

A cheap one will allow you to experiment and find what you really want in the flash. E-TTL, high speed sync, wireless flash control, power, stroboscopic etc. For a TTL one, the YongNuo YN465 can be had for around 100 bucks, iirc. Use it, learn it, outgrow it, upgrade. The manual YN460 is even cheaper if you will.

If budget is never a problem, why is there a need to consider cheaper alternative? Just get the 580EXII and it'll last you a very long time.

Sure there is the other side of the story whereby you are contented with your YongNuo. That's even better, cause' you only spent 100 plus bucks and it does get the job done for you.

Some food for thought.

Just get 5 x 580EXII.

last u very long.

Thank u wiseman...appreciate it.