Recommendation of Driving Instructor (Private).

Status
Not open for further replies.

fotoudavid

Mar 11, 2005
Hi guys,

If u know any Good Driving Instructor Private pls PM me, cos now need a van for my family.
Been over 10 years since i passed my basic, now taking advance, and would like to get the license done. Used to take taxi, now really need a vehicle as family big size now.

Regards

david...depending on ur budget too..

centre-based lessons costs $60-65 per 100min period....pte instructors cost about $35-45 per hour/90mins...

my wife just passed her driving tests from Bkt Batok Driving Centre...all in all she spent $2100 (1 time pass)....

and I can confirm u can learn to tolerate different driving instructors...my wife always siam one instructor as she says he bin or bin chao....too stern...she too stress if kenna him...

but...in reference to Contaxable...the examiners...are not from the Driving Centre...they are from TP....

Last edited:
Hi guys,

If u know any Good Driving Instructor Private pls PM me, cos now need a van for my family.
Been over 10 years since i passed my basic, now taking advance, and would like to get the license done. Used to take taxi, now really need a vehicle as family big size now.

Regards

Where do you stay? If in the east, I can reccomend you my instructor. ;)

If I may suggest, go to a proper learning school like the one at bukit batok or ubi. During my time, I did it at bukit batok. own time own target, dun have to worry about private instructor's schedule or vehicle breakdown.

These institutions have a huge group of instructors and you get to learn from different people.

Also, you get to hear about the heartbeat & the moods and temperaments of driving test examiners. They are humans too and they can get bias if they need to.

Ultimately, these examiners have a huge social responsibility of either putting a saint on the road or another dam idiot who has no regard on safety for other road users.

Hi,

Is it like that, own time own target, like suddenly i wanna go drive, just go there can liao??
Sorry i last go to a driving ctr like more then 10 yrs ago, so now like blur.

david...depending on ur budget too..

centre-based lessons costs $60-65 per 100min period....pte instructors cost about $35-45 per hour/90mins...

my wife just passed her driving tests from Bkt Batok Driving Centre...all in all she spent $2100 (1 time pass)....

and I can confirm u can learn to tolerate different driving instructors...my wife always siam one instructor as she says he bin or bin chao....too stern...she too stress if kenna him...

but...in reference to Contaxable...the examiners...are not from the Driving Centre...they are from TP....

i see, the rates are a bit different. the only issue i worry is advance theory, very hard to pass.

Where do you stay? If in the east, I can reccomend you my instructor. ;)

I stay in bukit batok, take bus go to the ctr only 10 mins, excluding waiting the bus time, bus 188.

use to stay in bedok, but kena conned by my wife to the west.

bro...bukit batok driving centre is near to your place...no need to spend much on travelling...

also..they have a method of teaching you to pass Adv Theory one....my wife also 1 time passing...go and try..

walk in can liao..but i think must bring at least $200...

I stay in bukit batok, take bus go to the ctr only 10 mins, excluding waiting the bus time, bus 188.

use to stay in bedok, but kena conned by my wife to the west.

I see... the rates are quite different and I would say it depends on your choices.

For driving centers like BBDC or SSDC or even CDC, they can be quite pricey. My GF went to Comfort driving centre at Ubi and each lesson is priced around $70 for a hundred minutes. Advantages would be that you start off with the circuit and you'll be pretty familiar with the circuit conditions. Only bad thing is that the instrutors rarely bring you out to the roads.

For private ones, they can be as low as the one I take around $33 for 90 minutes. If you need circuit lessons, you'd have to book separately and increase the lesson time to 2 hours as you'd need to drive to the circuit and back. The main advantage on the private lessons are that you get a lot of street experience and have a dedicated instructor as oppposed to an assigned one from the driving centres.

As for the theory part, it's more on getting your knowledge down pat and using a lil of the common sense, I notice that they occasionally repeat the questions in a slightly different form.

If you're concerned about advance theory, go for the etrials available at about $10 per session. There are a total of 10 sets of 50 questions. Once you've complete all successfully, you'll have no problems with the FTT. The FTT questions are taken from these 10 sets.

For each etrial, you can complete about 3 sets (15 min each). So, $30-40 to buy yourself a piece of mind. Alternatively, you can sign up for the online tests at aceonline.com.sg

Hope that helps you, David. :)

On the note of lessons at driving centres, my personal experience is that there is ample time spent on the roads. Once the lesson in the circuit is done (parallel parking, etc), the instructor will give you practice on the roads. Sometimes, you just have to suggest to them if you need more practice, I guess.

I have no experience with private instructors.

All the best!

On the contrary, what I've heard is that with schools, once you book the lesson, you cannot reschedule. whereas with my private instructor, i can reschedule anytime I want :)

A private instructor will also give you tricks on how to pass which schools wont. In my case, my instructor had stickers on his window and mirrors and he will tell you "when the pole hits this sticker, turn one round; then hit the 2nd sticker, turn 1.5 rounds" etc. Such tricks made parking a breeze.

If I may suggest, go to a proper learning school like the one at bukit batok or ubi. During my time, I did it at bukit batok. own time own target, dun have to worry about private instructor's schedule or vehicle breakdown.

These institutions have a huge group of instructors and you get to learn from different people.

Also, you get to hear about the heartbeat & the moods and temperaments of driving test examiners. They are humans too and they can get bias if they need to.

Ultimately, these examiners have a huge social responsibility of either putting a saint on the road or another dam idiot who has no regard on safety for other road users.

Oh maybe they change the rule liao :p

On the contrary, what I've heard is that with schools, once you book the lesson, you cannot reschedule. whereas with my private instructor, i can reschedule anytime I want :)

A private instructor will also give you tricks on how to pass which schools wont. In my case, my instructor had stickers on his window and mirrors and he will tell you "when the pole hits this sticker, turn one round; then hit the 2nd sticker, turn 1.5 rounds" etc. Such tricks made parking a breeze.

paiseh....my wife also receives the same info from BBDC...actually...parking is not so much a concern for my wife....it's driving speed, frequency of head turning to check blind spots, confidence in handling self when out on road...over taking speed that makes the difference.

I think Popular sell Q&A for adv theory. You can read as reference.

I guess different people have different weaknesses.

I would note though when taking lessons and test, you will almost never overtake. You only overtake when there's a stationery object or car or obstruction, which then doens't really mean overtaking, more of going around the object.

As for the rest, when you drive more in real life, it will come naturally though experience. I learnt more of those things that your wife is concerned about, after passing the test, than before the test.

paiseh....my wife also receives the same info from BBDC...actually...parking is not so much a concern for my wife....it's driving speed, frequency of head turning to check blind spots, confidence in handling self when out on road...over taking speed that makes the difference.

During lessons and tests... dun go above 50.

Checking of blind spots, each time you are making a manouevre, turning, changing lane, etc...

Confidence is all in yourself... so need some practise and getting used to the road conditions...

Thanks alot guys, meantime will do the private lessons first, if two time still cannot pass the advance theory, will become student.

I fail about 6 times liao....

Hmm you taking lessons for theory? One thing about going for private, you get to skip the lessons for theory. Theory can just learn on your own without having to incurr costs sitting for lessons mah!

Status
Not open for further replies.