Recommendation of Compact Flash for D100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Hokage

Dec 26, 2005
Hi,

I just a set of D100 with a Nikon 18-70mm F/3.5-4.5 IF ED Lense. Require a CF card. Any recommendation? Is high speed a neccessity? Looking at getting either a lexar or sandisk ultra 2 1gb. Any place to get them at good pricing?

Thanks for help!

Darius

Lexar 80X WA 2GB. :thumbsup:

Lexar 80X WA 1GB. :thumbsup:

seems like lexar it is then, so anyone has lobang for it.

Lexar! wait for the computer fair coming March...

Lexar 80X is pretty good and very popular, u can get it almost same prices at regular shops eg Eastgear, Alan Photo etc.

hmmz just got the camera no cf to work with thus ned to get one or else no need to take picture le :)

ya the lexar WA card is good ... i heard long ago when it was first released that it really speeds up the writing speed on the d100...

cheers

Why waste money on fast CF card? Most of us can't even feel the difference of CF card write speed due to the 12 frames buffering and the parallel write capability of the camera. As long as you don't take continuously shot and used up the buffer and have to wait for camera to purge out the memory, you can continue to take pictures as long as the buffer is not full (which is 12 frames for D100 I supposed).

My recommendation is to get the most reliable and cheapest CF card, write speed is not important for most of us. I never encountered a situation where the buffer (12 Frames) is full and have to wait to take the next shot. Evern if it is full, as long as there is enough memory to take next shot, you don't have to wait.

If you are a sports photographer, anyway, the D100 is too slow for you, then get the D200 or D2H, but then these camera have 40 frame buffer which is sufficient for most general usage.

Unless one is very rich and like the feel good factor to have super fast CF card, then buy the best in the world to feel good.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for your honest opinion. Will take it into consideration. price difference would be roughly how many percent? Can give an indication between high speed and not high speed.?

Thanks in advance.

poh6702 said:
Why waste money on fast CF card? Most of us can't even feel the difference of CF card write speed due to the 12 frames buffering and the parallel write capability of the camera. As long as you don't take continuously shot and used up the buffer and have to wait for camera to purge out the memory, you can continue to take pictures as long as the buffer is not full (which is 12 frames for D100 I supposed).

My recommendation is to get the most reliable and cheapest CF card, write speed is not important for most of us. I never encountered a situation where the buffer (12 Frames) is full and have to wait to take the next shot. Evern if it is full, as long as there is enough memory to take next shot, you don't have to wait.

If you are a sports photographer, anyway, the D100 is too slow for you, then get the D200 or D2H, but then these camera have 40 frame buffer which is sufficient for most general usage.

Unless one is very rich and like the feel good factor to have super fast CF card, then buy the best in the world to feel good.

Just my 2 cents.

Lord Hokage said:
Thanks for your honest opinion. Will take it into consideration. price difference would be roughly how many percent? Can give an indication between high speed and not high speed.?

Thanks in advance.
A common 1G CF card cost below $90 form many shops in SLS and come with life time warranty.

Can I ask whether you have used a D100 before? The information you have provided doesn't seem accurate for a D100. Are you referring to the D70 instead?

poh6702 said:

Just my 2 cents.

I'd recommend you get a fast card, like the Lexar 80x or 40x (if you're scrimping). The D100 has a very small buffer and slow write times, unlike the D70(s). Unless of course, your shooting style/type is slow (landscapes?) then it probably doesn't make a difference.

Lord Hokage said:

Thanks in advance.

vince123123 said:
I'd recommend you get a fast card, like the Lexar 80x or 40x (if you're scrimping). The D100 has a very small buffer and slow write times, unlike the D70(s). Unless of course, your shooting style/type is slow (landscapes?) then it probably doesn't make a difference.
D100 is slow only if you do NEF-compressed writing, which each NEF can take up to 30s+ to get written.

If you shoot NEF-Uncompressed, it's as fast as a JPEG-L writing.

Both D100 and D70 however, have only a NEF buffer of 4, with NR-On, 2. So a fast card does help in some meagre ways, but not by leaps and bounds.

If you talk JPEG, the fastest I had was 10 continous JPEG on the D100. D70 was tested to go up to 144 continous shots.

Perhaps its a difference of expectations - I only shoot NEF-uncompressed and find that it's quite slow :p

Nevertheless, whether its slow or very slow or average, the write times for D100 is definitely not "fast" (unlike D70) nor have a big buffer, which was what I was trying to correct.

espn said:
D100 is slow only if you do NEF-compressed writing, which each NEF can take up to 30s+ to get written.

If you shoot NEF-Uncompressed, it's as fast as a JPEG-L writing.

Both D100 and D70 however, have only a NEF buffer of 4, with NR-On, 2. So a fast card does help in some meagre ways, but not by leaps and bounds.

If you talk JPEG, the fastest I had was 10 continous JPEG on the D100. D70 was tested to go up to 144 continous shots.

vince123123 said:
Perhaps its a difference of expectations - I only shoot NEF-uncompressed and find that it's quite slow :p

Nevertheless, whether its slow or very slow or average, the write times for D100 is definitely not "fast" (unlike D70) nor have a big buffer, which was what I was trying to correct.
I shoot NEF uncompressed on the D100 and I find it fast, 2-3s per shot. The D70 is based on compressed RAW writing and the IO similar to that of the D2H, so it's definitely faster. Pretty glad all the upcoming models had the same IO technology since, compressed RAW saves a lot of space!!! (~40%)

Hehe yeap yeap - the new Nikon DSLRs all like very fast writes!

espn said:
I shoot NEF uncompressed on the D100 and I find it fast, 2-3s per shot. The D70 is based on compressed RAW writing and the IO similar to that of the D2H, so it's definitely faster. Pretty glad all the upcoming models had the same IO technology since, compressed RAW saves a lot of space!!! (~40%)

Status
Not open for further replies.