Recommendation of cambags for newbie

photofrox

Jul 31, 2011
Near Tiong Bahru
Shoulder? Sling? Backbag? Holster? or Case? Which brand? I only have one lens kit and a dslr camera. Help will be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!!:)

photofrox said:
Shoulder? Sling? Backbag? Holster? or Case? Which brand? I only have one lens kit and a dslr camera. Help will be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!!:)

Which kind do you prefer? Very hard to recommend when some people prefer sling and some backpack. And what the budget?

A standard body + kit lens, usually it will fit in the free canon DSLR bag (4 mdh I think)...

You have to decide on the followings:

-- monetary budget for the bag
-- future need like more lenses or tripod or accessories including personal effects and water bottle
-- total weight of items placed (including future need) inside the bag
-- performance of the bag like ease of access or rain cover
-- do you prefer backpack so that you have two hands free to do other task?
-- do you mind shoulder bag weighing on one side of your body over an extended period?
-- will you be walking for long period with the bag
-- ease to dismount the bag at point of use

Lastly, do go to camera shops to survey the range of bags and get a feel of the various options.

TS. just go down to camera and try its the best way. try both sling or backpack

I have 4 camera bag at the moment, all for different occasion and different usage :)
1. Daily for work and cam => Billingham hadley pro. Nice for work (*doesn't look like a cam bag), suit my laptop and 1dslr + 1/2 lens..
2. Backpack for traveling => lowepro, forget e model but for bringing 2 body + 5 lens
3. Backpack for light travel => lowepro, forget e model but lower part for cam upper part for my son stuff :p
4. Domke => i have a small domke for weekend, normally go shopping with family using this

Personally:
1. i like shoulder, easy to take out camera
2. billingham is the best! but expensive!
3. lowepro very durable and easy to sell if u r bored :p
4. think-tank, expensive also... but nice
5. Crumpler -> padding to thick, not easy to use, etc
6. Kata -> bag to big and a bit heavy sometimes
7. Domke -> Nice and easy to use but plastics connector becareful too much of camera can broken
8. Manfrotto -> they come up with a new bag, u can go to SLR Revolution! really nice model... i like it :)
9. the rest no comment... not keen with the model and hard to re-sale hahaha..

I have 4 camera bag at the moment, all for different occasion and different usage :)
1. Daily for work and cam => Billingham hadley pro. Nice for work (*doesn't look like a cam bag), suit my laptop and 1dslr + 1/2 lens..
2. Backpack for traveling => lowepro, forget e model but for bringing 2 body + 5 lens
3. Backpack for light travel => lowepro, forget e model but lower part for cam upper part for my son stuff :p
4. Domke => i have a small domke for weekend, normally go shopping with family using this

Personally:
7. Domke -> Nice and easy to use but plastics connector becareful too much of camera can broken
8. Manfrotto -> they come up with a new bag, u can go to SLR Revolution! really nice model... i like it :)

:thumbsup:

Lowepro250 - I dun use it for daily use, but only while travelling. Fits my D7000 and couple of other lenses well. Carries my laptop also - which was a key requirement. And a load of other stuff as well. Very convenient and fits really comfortable on your shoulders without feeling the burden.

Go to shops and try which one you like best. For just kit lens in camera, the Lowepro Passport Sling might be a great choice :)

Personally:

Perhaps u can oso tell us which shop to find the various brands.I'm on a lookout for bag meant for casual outing n light travelling.Tia;)

Yo bro, U need to ask urself 2 question.

1) Will u be staying on with ur current kit for the near future or
2) Upgrade in the near future

I have experience with ard 4-5 setup and this is my 2 cents worth of thoughts and my personal perference for ur consideration.

If option 1, then i like Inverse 200aw, street walk, short travel or hiking or long distance travelling (meaning travel on transport 'excluding air plane' for hours to reach ur shooting site. Can act as shoulder bag, belt pack or back pack if u buy lowepro harness and do some modification.

If option 2, then i think u may need a couple of bags for different cases as u may have a Couple of lens + other kit to carry... Couple of lens to bring.. Not bring down the whole kampong hor..

Modular Set - for long duration shooting, travel from 1 location to another location and in between stopping to get snapshot etc.. I prefer Lowepro Modular for this. Think tank also have modular set..

Shoulder bag, for street walking.. Shooting duration.. Maybe a couple of hours.. If not, ur shoulder may break.. That could be just me of coz.. I use billingham for this. It a bit expensive but the quality is worth it.. Think tank and lowepro has a couple of nice design that i like too.. Some can also be attached to become backpack..

Long duration travelling but with no in between snapshots , example : u could be on public transport mode like train or car or bus most of time. Just chalk the bag on the luggage shelf, reach destinatin, bags out and start shooting... I prefer Kata 3N1 series... Quite good.

Please note the above is based upon my experience when i overseas, i travel for my business trip 50-70% of the time. Thus i can related a bit...

If shooting in singapore.. Anything lah.. Shoulder bag like Inverse or Crumpler is good enough.. Forget to bring certain item.. Go home bring loh or next time revisit the location and shoot again loh..

On personal fav.. I like modular set.. Not becoz it got the look or wat.. But becoz modular stay close to ur body, it is abit anti theft in a way.. and u need not find a place to sit down and change lens or find accessories. On the spot can get everything done. Best part, it is a 'add on',no need to fear bag too small or too big or space not enough..
But in singapore, too overdress liao.. So i tend to avoid.. I use billingham or inverse.. But i sold my inverse off as it squeeze my camera when my 5d mark II get a batt grip..
Anyway hope my thoughts help..
BTW if u going for shoulder,(option 2- u may upgrade in future) think tank speed series not bad.. I quite like also.. Lowepro one.. Abit ugly but compactment not bad.. I like also.. Crumpler to me.. Color too bright and fanciful for me.. Haha

Currently, I have 2 Lowepro camera bags: An Off Trail 1 and a Fastpack 250.
Although the Off Trail beltpack looks slightly unglam compared to the pros with heavy gear, I actually like the mobility and ease of use.
I only have 2 lenses and a body to carry around anyway. Only problem is if I have to lug a tripod along, than I'd have to hand-carry.
The Fastpack is used only if I travel or need to bring my notebook.

TS, one great suggestion is to first identify what kind of bag you like to carry; Sling or Backpack. Sling bags are great for accessibility, but the longer it is on the shoulder, the more aches you'll get.

Head down to the shops to determine what design catches your fancy first, then decide on which ones you want to compare.

else now, you've got no brand or model in mind, you want all of us to whack all the hundreds of different bags out there and one-by-one you research them? you'll be wasting your own time.

check out TK Foto and SLRR at Funan.

with 1 body and 1 kit lens, ntuc plastic bag also can

why not the free bag given when you bought the camera? usually can fit 1 body 1/2 lenses.

any recommended camera bag online store?
interested in buying shoulder bag for 2 camera 3-4 lens + 1 tripod and 1 laptop..

1412235827 said:
any recommended camera bag online store?
interested in buying shoulder bag for 2 camera 3-4 lens + 1 tripod and 1 laptop..

If this is the setup that u intend to bring out everytime, it's better to get a back pack.

Yr setup is heavy, so yr shoulder will break from it, if u r using a shoulder bag.

Trust me on this. I'm using shoulder bag now and I know how painful it can be .....

If this is the setup that u intend to bring out everytime, it's better to get a back pack.

Yr setup is heavy, so yr shoulder will break from it, if u r using a shoulder bag.

Trust me on this. I'm using shoulder bag now and I know how painful it can be .....

that's my usual set-up when shooting events. and i carry it around.

@TS: for this set-up you might want to look at Tamrac's EVO7/8, Naneu Sahara 217 (if i remember correctly that's the name) or the ThinkTank Streetwalker Harddrive.

and please go to the store to ask for Quotes. for the Naneu Sahara and Tamrac Evo you can check out SLRR while the ThinkTank you can look at TK Foto. both at Funan

donut88 said:

Lol.. Urs is painful.. Totally agree.. Got a time i feel like juz throwing the bag away and go back.. Shoulder almost break.. Worst then BMT..