Recommendation of B/w film for wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingoutsister

May 6, 2003
hi...wonder if anyone have any recommendations for the above mentioned? i have been invited to a wedding happening in a few days time. i have a fair bit of experience in this area, but always using colour print films. this time round, the couple have hired a professional photographer, so i intend to use this opportunity to experiment with different camera angles and other film choices, especially black-n-white. i intend to use the faster speed films like 1600, 3200 to get that gritty, 'photojournalist' look. or would it be better to use chromogenics like tcn400 or ilford etc. do i push or pull? etc. etc. so many questions! i need somewhere to start with. for the daytime events, what would be a good choice? would i risk burn-out with high speeds like the 3200? i hope some of you with more experience in this can help out! thanks in advance

Use tri-x rate at EI 1000-1250. Alternative is to use Fuji Neopan 1600, holds shadow details better than tri-x pushed to 1600.

So far, all the weddings I've done with tri-x are pushed to 1250.... and you'll have to meter the shadow area with -1/3 to 1/2 stop in order to record the details on the film... it depends on your cam and shooting style so go get a roll or so to test out first

for gritty, tri-x is probably a good bet. t-max is rather smoother, i think. as for 3200 film, can't remember whether it was ilford or kodak emulsion, but when developed the negs seemed rather thin and contrast low. of course, could have been my mistake in technique or old developer...

for film speed in general, think about the locations, especially for daytime where outdoors and indoors can be vastly different in brightness. what may be good for indoors may result in undesirably high shutter speeds &/or small apertures outdoors. or vice versa.

d7t3 said:
can't remember whether it was ilford or kodak emulsion, but when developed the negs seemed rather thin and contrast low. of course, could have been my mistake in technique or old developer...

You will need to push the film... what i do is shoot the roll at EI 1600 but process at EI 3200 timing...

how about a 400 film pushed to 1600? i saw some samples of 3200 and i think its abit too gritty to hold any detail well. any film recommendations?

swingoutsister said:
how about a 400 film pushed to 1600? i saw some samples of 3200 and i think its abit too gritty to hold any detail well. any film recommendations?

tri x shd fit the bill. very good for pushing to 1600 and developed using Diafine.

getting excited about the possible choices already. most probably i'll be going for tri-x pushed to 1600. if i manage to pull off some good shots, i will post them here. wish me luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.