Recommendation needed - ultra wide lens

wcchay

Oct 14, 2007
Singapore
New to Pentax... I moved from Nikon (did not like the colour), most of the time shoot landscape and still learning :sweat:. Was using Tammy 17-50mm f2.8 and Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 previously on D90 and D200.

Since I moved to K-7, I am quite happy with the tammy 17-50mm but I wanted another ultra wide lens, any recommendation?

My plan collection will be:

(ultra wide) - TBC
Pentax DA 16-50, 50-135
Sigma 70-300

Appreciate comments and recommendation.

New to Pentax... I moved from Nikon (did not like the colour), most of the time shoot landscape and still learning :sweat:. Was using Tammy 17-50mm f2.8 and Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 previously on D90 and D200.

Since I moved to K-7, I am quite happy with the tammy 17-50mm but I wanted another ultra wide lens, any recommendation?

My plan collection will be:

(ultra wide) - TBC
Pentax DA 16-50, 50-135
Sigma 70-300

Appreciate comments and recommendation.

DA 12-24 is a good suggestion. Or DA 14 2.8 or DA 15 f4.

Third party would be:

Sigma 10-20 (two version)
Tamron 10-24

I'm using the DA14 F2.8, pretty happy with the IQ.
For the 300mm telezoom you might want to consider the Pentax DA/DAL 55-300mm? It's a pretty sharp lens compared to other xx-300mm offerings. ;)

To TS, are you the guy who bought my Fisheye?

I had almost the same setup as you.
I agree with kengoh on the DAL 55-300.

Got a Sigma 8-16mm as my UWA, pretty sharp.

Same here .

Sigma 8-16mm as my UWA and DAL 55-300mm as my tele

Very happy with the IQ for both lens so far

Ya.. am the guy that bought from you. Tried and not really the type of shots that I was looking for..

Thanks for the tip!

I'm using the DA14 F2.8, pretty happy with the IQ.
For the 300mm telezoom you might want to consider the Pentax DA/DAL 55-300mm? It's a pretty sharp lens compared to other xx-300mm offerings. ;)

I am not really a tele guy.. may be only around 10% of my shots I will use tele. I had not tried Prime lenses, may be I should give it a try..

DA 12-24 is a good suggestion. Or DA 14 2.8 or DA 15 f4.

Third party would be:

Sigma 10-20 (two version)
Tamron 10-24

Was also thinking about 12-24, heard that it is made by Tokina except the coating (it looks similar too!). Initially wanted to try Sigma 10-20 f3.5, however it is hard to get a copy. Like what Ken Goh suggested, should try a prime instead.

Thanks for all the above tips!!

Trying to get a lens that can cover something like this:

Esplanade 10 Apr-25 by Rigdzin, on Flickr

Still think the Sigma suits your style, since I rmb you mentioned you dont use filters.
If a 8-16mm cant cover that, nothing else can. =X
Unless filters and weight does matter to you.

Still think the Sigma suits your style, since I rmb you mentioned you dont use filters.
If a 8-16mm cant cover that, nothing else can. =X
Unless filters and weight does matter to you.

I think 1 disadvantage of 8-16mm is it unable to use sq filter.

For me CPL is no use for UWA , GND we can do it on PP the only important filter will be ND.

What if .... 8-16mm can take normal Sq ND filter ... does it increase the value of the lens ?

Guess it will 1 way or another.
Thought of tryin the Cokin filter system but after some research, doubt it can be done, without some DIY.
Which Im too lazy to try. lol

If you don't mind the cost : DA12-24 -better performance and very usable long end of 24mm
If you need absolutely wide and a bit cheaper : Sigma10-20 f4-5.6
Something unique, sharp and very portable : DA15ltd

I own all these 3 lenses before... and DA 12 -24 is certainly the most versatile and certainly better performance. I mentioned a while back that the 24mm is really useful for streets ... it's roughly 35mm FF, and you can get really close to your subjects for travel portraitures.

On the wide end, the 12mm isn't as wide, but an excellent compromise between the 15mm and the 10-20.

Why can't Pentax give us the 11 - 16 f2.8! It's almost full frame ready since at 15mm there's no vignetting for FF. So 2 in 1 lense, can be used almost as a prime in FF, and for a cropped sensor, u get 11 - 16. Come on, Pentax/Hoya/Tokina!

Last edited:
Yes.. totally agree with you on why not 11-16 f2.8 from Pentax!!

Based on the discussion, I think I will settle with a 12-24 in the mean time until a better alternative.. unfortunately unable to try out Sigma 8-16mm f3.5, else if it is good, I will probably take this lens.

Ok... have to start saving...

I own all these 3 lenses before... and DA 12 -24 is certainly the most versatile and certainly better performance. I mentioned a while back that the 24mm is really useful for streets ... it's roughly 35mm FF, and you can get really close to your subjects for travel portraitures.

On the wide end, the 12mm isn't as wide, but an excellent compromise between the 15mm and the 10-20.

Why can't Pentax give us the 11 - 16 f2.8! It's almost full frame ready since at 15mm there's no vignetting for FF. So 2 in 1 lense, can be used almost as a prime in FF, and for a cropped sensor, u get 11 - 16. Come on, Pentax/Hoya/Tokina!

Thanks everyone for the above great advise! Hope will join you guys on the monthly Pentexian outing soon!