recommendation "KIT-lens" for D300S and any others i can get

duckizz

Sep 27, 2004
East
hi all,
just wondering what would be a recommended "kit-lens" to get for my d300s?

also which is preferred?
AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G
AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G

finally, i have a wide angle lens (tokina) and a cheap 70-200mm lens (nikon). What 1 other lens would you recommend i get to be well rounded? :)

thanks!

To TS,

I don't know what's your definition for "Kit-lens". But for me, If i got to choose one lens for D300s, my choice is Nikon AFS-18-200mm VRII.

For portrait, my preference is AF-S Nikkor 50mm f1.8G.
For group portrait or general use, I go for AF-S Nikkkor 35mm f/1.8G.

You didn't mention what's the range of your wide angle lens. so I assume that yours is the popular 11-16mm.
If that's case, then I recommend Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 16-85mm, Nikkor 18-105mm.

Above is my personnal view and hope it helps. :)

u can try the AF-S 16-85 f/3.5-5.6G to complement ur setup nicely.

as for 35mm vs 50mm, it depends on ur needs and preferences. u can try these focal lengths out after u get ur "kit lens" by shooting mostly at either 35mm or 50mm only. from there, ur answer shld be clear as to which lens u prefer more.

or the 17-55/2.8 :)

looks like you don't have a fast telephoto, can consider 80-200mm f/2.8 :)

17-55, 50 1.8G and 80-200
this is my current setup :D

it's more than enough to cover all your need unless you want to go ultra wide and macro ;)

duckizz said:
hi all,

also which is preferred?
AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G

finally, i have a wide angle lens (tokina) and a cheap 70-200mm lens (nikon). What 1 other lens would you recommend i get to be well rounded? :)

thanks!

I would prefer to have the 35mm and you need not be well rounded. If you are a mainly macro shooter or landscape shooter, you just need to invest in that particular area. Save the money by not getting a lens which you won't use and spend it on something that you would need

hi all,

also which is preferred?
AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G

thanks!

Is there a typo on cheap "70-200mm"? or are you referring to 70-300mm?:sweat:

I would prefer to have the 35mm and you need not be well rounded. If you are a mainly macro shooter or landscape shooter, you just need to invest in that particular area. Save the money by not getting a lens which you won't use and spend it on something that you would need

must be the 70-300G, thats without VR. its around $150 on BnS section i think

The tamron 17-50 f2.8 + 35mm f1.8 will compliment Yr setup..

The 24mm F2.8 can also be considered if you think the 35mm is still too narrow. Im using a 24mm myself and i find it PERFECT for 90% of the time, and it allows me to play with a big aperture too :) Prime lenses have their place.

depends on your budget and your needs. some will say 18-105 or 28-300...

for me, i'm using 16-85.

which other lens do you have already?

TS, no reply?

Last edited:
hmmm.... 24-70/2.8?

And 35 vs 50mm is up to what you intend to shoot. For portraits, 50mm will be better.

yea its the cheapo 70-300G lens :)

sorry i did not realise TS = me, its been a long time since i revisited clubsnap when my interests went elsewhere!

last question, any recommendations as to where i can buy the lenses for bang for buck?
also just to confirm, they are not that much cheaper in Japan ya?