Recommendation for Tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.

slooker_02

Aug 14, 2005
Hi
Went to shoot firework 12 Feb. Found my $20 tripod is not good enough to support it. (difficult to adjust, not stable and not enough height). Need recommendation for a new tripod. (Read too much until I am lost as to which is good). Intent to use tripod more for travel, preferable lightweight, good height, compact and easy to carry around.

My gear. Canon 350+Battery Grip. 17-40F4L, 28-135 IS, 70-200F4L and 420Flash.

Appreciate advise.

Thanks.

Almost the same setup as what I have when I made purchase my tripod a year ago. I got Gitzo 1028 finally. 1028 is now outdated, and the replacement 1058 said to be stronger and lighter, you can consider it.

Gitzo 1127 or 1128

Thanks. Went to Gitzo website. But all the models stated are not available. Any idea where I can find pic of the models stated? Also, what are the cost like?

slooker_02 said:
Hi
Went to shoot firework 12 Feb. Found my $20 tripod is not good enough to support it. (difficult to adjust, not stable and not enough height). Need recommendation for a new tripod. (Read too much until I am lost as to which is good). Intent to use tripod more for travel, preferable lightweight, good height, compact and easy to carry around.

Appreciate advise.

Thanks.

With your gear, your $20 tripod will surely die over time, that's what happened to my $45 one last time. So i changed to Manfrotto 055Pro and it works perfectly!

Manfrotto 190series with your choice of head a minimum if you're on a budget... but based on your setup, I guess you could do with a better one!

Inimatad said:
So will a S$250 budget be good enough for a tripod that will not "humiliate" the Canon gear?

$250 is enough. I got mine with a 4kg capacity ballhead for a total of $240.

slooker_02 said:
Hi

Appreciate advise.

Thanks.

You have serious gears but a $20 tripod? I can't imagine :p

The Manfrotto 190 series is a popular choice. Coupled with their entry level ball heads, it should come to about $250 new. The 055 series is also equally popular. I suggest you hunt around B&S. I've seen decent 190s at about $120 and ball heads at $30-$40.

I personally has a 190B and 2 386RCs (I think these are EOL-ed already), which has served me very well. I don't have heavy lenses but this combo should be sufficient for your 70-200F4. I used to have a Slik 8000 (something like that) but I can't stand it. Not exactly very versatile and usable :p

Finally, I think tripods are very impt. Invest in a good setup and it will follow you for life. You can change cameras, lenses but the tripod remains.

Regards,
JK

tanjk said:

The Manfrotto 190 series is a popular choice. Coupled with their entry level ball heads, it should come to about $250 new. The 055 series is also equally popular. I suggest you hunt around B&S. I've seen decent 190s at about $120 and ball heads at $30-$40.

I personally has a 190B and 2 386RCs (I think these are EOL-ed already), which has served me very well. I don't have heavy lenses but this combo should be sufficient for your 70-200F4. I used to have a Slik 8000 (something like that) but I can't stand it. Not exactly very versatile and usable :p

Finally, I think tripods are very impt. Invest in a good setup and it will follow you for life. You can change cameras, lenses but the tripod remains.

Regards,
JK

Are those tripod you mentioned convenient for overseas travelling as well?

i recommend manfrotto 190proB and 486RC2 head...
heavy enough but not too heavy for oversea use...
but now it seems 190proB is out of stock.. TK still have 190CLB..selling 140, the last i ask.
i think most manfrotto tripods will be either out of stock or left a few others as their distributor in singapore are changing and no ones seems to know who the new distributor is.
:dunno:

boen said:
but now it seems 190proB is out of stock.. TK still have 190CLB..selling 140, the last i ask.
i think most manfrotto tripods will be either out of stock or left a few others as their distributor in singapore are changing and no ones seems to know who the new distributor is.

Good choice:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Zack said:
Are those tripod you mentioned convenient for overseas travelling as well?

Well, it depends on your weight threshold and the amount of muscles you have on your body. I can't really say but I don't think I'll bring them for travel. I didn't bring them during my last Korea trip. I bring along my ultra light weight 50mm F/1.8 instead :). Then again, somebody else might find it ok. It's always a trade off and your own preferences.

The 190 and 055 arn't the lightest around, if you want light weight, you either get CF (read expensive) or cheapo (read useless) tripods. Since many of us can't afford CF tripods and we don't want useless tripods, we make do with something in between. You really have to go try it out yourself.

Regards,
JK

tanjk said:

Regards,
JK

Yes i agree, a gd support for yr cam will come a long way ;)

boen said:

CP told me abt the change of manfrotto agent too but will only be available next month or april.

The last time i heard from CP, they're selling the 190Pro for $160 without head. I got my 055Pro at MS for $170 without head.

By the way, where is the best (in terms of price, service, etc) to buy tripods?
TCW? MS? AP? CP?

Beaver21 said:
By the way, where is the best (in terms of price, service, etc) to buy tripods?
TCW? MS? AP? CP?

All have pros n cons. MS is cheap but service not so gd. AP service is very gd but only carry 3rd party brand tripods. TCW is bad on both and CP service so so only but have a wide range of tripods.

Snoweagle said:
All have pros n cons. MS is cheap but service not so gd. AP service is very gd but only carry 3rd party brand tripods. TCW is bad on both and CP service so so only but have a wide range of tripods.

i do like to go Tk @ beach road shaw building... think their service are good and prices better (cheaper) than CP...

boen said:
i do like to go Tk @ beach road shaw building... think their service are good and prices better (cheaper) than CP...

Maybe can go there one day and see. Which level is it at cos i've not been there before.

Status
Not open for further replies.