Recommendation for tripod for Canon EOS D60 and heavy lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newman

Mar 2, 2003
TBC
Folks (especially the D60 users),
What tripod would you recommend for the above with a budget between $200 - $500?

Thanks in advance.

With the head, I mean. And should I use a ballhead or the 3 way head?

Any recommendations, pls?

Hi newman,

I'm in the same boat, looking for a good tripod to replace my 20 dollar one. I don't mind buying a tripod to end ALL tripods.

When do u plan to buy? Join you in your tripod quest.

My requirements so far :
(a) Light weight-> carbon fibre at approx 1 kg
(b) Abt 1.6 max height as I''m 1.68
(c) Max weight abt 3 kg for a D60+ 50-500mm Sigma + 550EX

OT a bit, just in case anyone of you interested, saw a Tokina 80-200 f2.8 ATX at TCW, going for $480, I think. :)

Reasons for such OT postings, don't want to get tempted... I passby there everyday... :cry:

BTW, I don't intend to buy a tripod yet, don't feel the need, at least for the time being. :)

Originally posted by Java_Guru
Hi newman,

I'm in the same boat, looking for a good tripod to replace my 20 dollar one. I don't mind buying a tripod to end ALL tripods.

My requirements so far :

Java, we have the same height and almost the same equipment. But carbon fibre a bit ex leh. Saw a couple of Mamiya's at CP yesterday each > $1K! I will be at SEED tomorrow to seek the help of the laujiaos here. Will you be going?

Get the Gitzo G1120 MK2 w/Manfrotto 486RC2, it is within your budget... It can takes up to 6kg...

Originally posted by Newman
What tripod would you recommend for the above with a budget between $200 - $500?

Thanks in advance.

With the head, I mean. And should I use a ballhead or the 3 way head?

Originally posted by ivor
Get the Gitzo G1120 MK2 w/Manfrotto 486RC2, it is within your budget... It can takes up to 6kg...

Thanks ivor. I will check them out. Where's the best place to get them and where is TCW?

A pan head is better than a ball head unless it is a very good ball head.

The problem with ball head is that the lens will point downwards with you shoot in portraits mode.

Ball head does have the lighter weight though.

I do have a Manfrotto 190 for sale :)
Check out the buy & sell section.

Anyway, Cathay is having some sale on certain Gitzo model. You might want to go there and check it out.

If your heaviest setup is 3Kg, go for a head and tripod both with a max load of 6kg or 8kg. Fun choose those that just managed to support it.

Got mine at CP...

TCW = The Camera Workshop, located at Peninsula Shopping Centre.

Thanks ivor. I will check them out. Where's the best place to get them and where is TCW?

Originally posted by binbeto
A pan head is better than a ball head unless it is a very good ball head.

The problem with ball head is that the lens will point downwards with you shoot in portraits mode.

Ball head does have the lighter weight though.

I do have a Manfrotto 190 for sale :)
Check out the buy & sell section.

Anyway, Cathay is having some sale on certain Gitzo model. You might want to go there and check it out.

If your heaviest setup is 3Kg, go for a head and tripod both with a max load of 6kg or 8kg. Fun choose those that just managed to support it.

Yep, I saw it. I saw the 190 at CP Marina. Quite nice. Will consider it. Btw, how much is a new one?

Yep, I saw it. I saw the 190 at CP Marina. Quite nice. Will consider it. Btw, how much is a new one?

I am not too sure also. I pass by but forgot to ask.. SHould be $100+

Anyone know? I wanted to know so that I can price it correctly.

Thanks in advance.

While the other posters advice is well meaning none of them have got down to the crux of the matter :)

How much weight all up are you intending to load on to the tripod? How heavy is the lens, body and flash (add that in) going to weigh?

How height do you require the tripod to extend to?

Once you've posted that figure the recommendations can be tailored suit your requirements.

Errr....wrt Ian above, both our expectations are pretty similar according to newman. The only difference I believe is in the budget.

Can anyone recommend specific models to take a look at?

Originally posted by Java_Guru
Hi newman,

My requirements so far :

Status
Not open for further replies.