Recommendation for Tripod for 500D

Status
Not open for further replies.

animian2002

Dec 18, 2005
Used the search function and found so many threads for Tripod :bigeyes:
but after spending the whole morning reading them, i got lost and have no idea which to get :cry:

so i need to see advices from you guys. :embrass:

I am a newbie to DSLR and just got my 500D with basic 18-55mm lens not long ago. Tried it on my cheapo sakaru tripod (which i used for my prosumer) and it almost toppled (nearly got a heartache) so given that i have budget constraint (not more than $200) which brand /tripod would you guys recommend for a newbie with basic setup as mentioned above. :embrass:

and anyone tried buying Tripod from Amazon ? they seem cheap after the convertion so are they of any good ... ? Was thinking of getting one along with the other stuff that i planned to get from Amazon :embrass:

U can checked on the Slik Sprint Pro II Tripod. I am using it with my G10.

I wanted something light, convenient for traveling & cheap so got this.

According to the salesman, it's can mount a DSLR but not advisable with lens > 100 mm.

Can checked up at Cathay Photo at Peninsula Plaza.

i suggest getting the manfrotto 190xprob tripod with a ballhead like the 488rc0. It costs about 300+, but when it comes to tripod, i firmly believe in spending a little bit more to get a solid one, rather than getting a lousier one and then wanting to upgrade a year later. i've been using it and can recommend it.. just that it might be a little heavy for your liking.

Used the search function and found so many threads for Tripod :bigeyes:
but after spending the whole morning reading them, i got lost and have no idea which to get :cry:

so i need to see advices from you guys. :embrass:

I am a newbie to DSLR and just got my 500D with basic 18-55mm lens not long ago. Tried it on my cheapo sakaru tripod (which i used for my prosumer) and it almost toppled (nearly got a heartache) so given that i have budget constraint (not more than $200) which brand /tripod would you guys recommend for a newbie with basic setup as mentioned above. :embrass:

and anyone tried buying Tripod from Amazon ? they seem cheap after the convertion so are they of any good ... ? Was thinking of getting one along with the other stuff that i planned to get from Amazon :embrass:
depends where you want to use the tripod....if other then just city use, can consider this made in japan tripod. http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450021

warning though, its not for weak shoulders. It even supported my entire video rig after changing to a manfrotto head.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588654&highlight=sirui

why dont u check out this new range. looks interesting.

tripods kind of like camera bags - i went thru 3. still searching for the shangrila of tripods.

my own experience - if too heavy & bulky - u find that it stays at home all the time. good tho if u're the landscape hiking shooter.

but if u're like me - periodic travel shooting, then something very light.

so my conclusion, you should have 2; 1 for 'serious' lock down tight shooting (which for me is rare anyway) & another travelling tripod. am now looking for the latter

am looking at the sirui above - good feedback fm thread though maybe slight past yr bgt. if u get it right, u only need to invest once :D, if not....:(

good luck !

i notice alot of people selling their Slik Tripod ...what's wrong with this brand :embrass:

i suggest getting the manfrotto 190xprob tripod with a ballhead like the 488rc0. It costs about 300+, but when it comes to tripod, i firmly believe in spending a little bit more to get a solid one, rather than getting a lousier one and then wanting to upgrade a year later. i've been using it and can recommend it.. just that it might be a little heavy for your liking.

i also recently got a canon 500D and have been researching on tripods for it.. and after quite a lot of research, ive decided on the manfrotto 190xprob + 488RC2.. its very good for the price, i think :)

i notice alot of people selling their Slik Tripod ...what's wrong with this brand :embrass:

nothing wrong with it.

slik is pretty decent, just that most people here like to move on to more expensive tripods.

sometimes for the right reasons, sometimes for no reason at all.

i also recently got a canon 500D and have been researching on tripods for it.. and after quite a lot of research, ive decided on the manfrotto 190xprob + 488RC2.. its very good for the price, i think :)

Hi, may I know how much you bought for your tripod without the ball head?

how much did you get it and from where :embrass:

and how many of you bring and use the tripod when travelling :embrass:

I usually carry my tripod for traveling, for night photography or travel photography when you want to be in the frame.
Back to the question about tripod, i suggest to get a decent tripod in the assumption that your lens collections will grow, especially if you intend to get a big lens, then u need a sturdy tripod and ball head.
Weight of tripod is another consideration, if you get a heavy tripod, you will find that later down the road, u will just put it aside :)

Provided it's light & handy. But I was wondering do u really need a tripod when using DSLR to take night scene ?

With the correct len, do u need a tripod ?

Thanks.

me definitely. It helps when need to compose a shot. And a tripod allows a lot of creativity imo so really up to user.

Hi, may I know how much you bought for your tripod without the ball head?

how much did you get it and from where :embrass:

apologies for the very late reply, forgot to check back here!
i actually havent bought it yet, i only done research n looking at prices.. looks like u can get both for around SGD320.. i saw this on the tripod price guide forum (from MS Color, AMK Hub)

Manfrotto 190XProB Tripod - $185
Manfrotto 488RC2 Ballhead - $145
Manfrotto 190XProB Tripod + 488RC2 Ballhead - $320

sounds a pretty good deal, n im definitely picking up this combination for myself when i can afford :D

To the TS...

For me, I always advice photographers who are new into this hobby with only their kit lens/lenses (18-55mm and 18-200mm) to buy a cheap tripod like the Nikon one (dirt cheap).

Why? You don't know whether you really need a tripod for your "everyday" photography. So try it out with a tripod 1st.
If you think that you are a heavy user, then consider buying a better tripod.

If you're scared it will topple, hang your bag at the hook on the tripod to weigh it down. ;)

I'm using a cheap $50 tripod as I use a tripod only "once in a blue moon". Only use it for night photography, currently. :)

Last edited:
To the TS...

For me, I always advice photographers who are new into this hobby with only their kit lens/lenses (18-55mm and 18-200mm) to buy a cheap tripod like the Nikon one (dirt cheap).

Why? You don't know whether you really need a tripod for your "everyday" photography. So try it out with a tripod 1st.
If you think that you are a heavy user, then consider buying a better tripod.

If you're scared it will topple, hang your bag at the hook on the tripod to weigh it down. ;)

I'm using a cheap $50 tripod as I use a tripod only "once in a blue moon". Only use it for night photography, currently. :)

seriously i dont mind to find a dirt cheap tripod as long as it can hold the weight of the camera but i have yet to find one... all those that i saw are >$100 :embrass:

as my lens collection has yet to start and i dont even know when i will start hence i dont quite willing to spend on something that cost more than lens :embrass: but seem like i dun have much choice :embrass:

Status
Not open for further replies.