recommendation for speedlights/flash

jas1984

May 28, 2011
Singapore / Little Red Dot
Hi, i am new in using speedlight/flash. Really hope seniors out there could kindly enlighten me.

i am looking into either nikon sb-400 or the nissin di622 mkII. which my budget allow.

i have done quite a bit of research online. I know the nissin one is more powerful and both support i-ttl.

i am more into taking portrait.. i personally are more into getting the nissin. Please kindly enlighten me. many thanks.

:confused::confused:

Hi, i am new in using speedlight/flash. Really hope seniors out there could kindly enlighten me.

i am looking into either nikon sb-400 or the nissin di622 mkII. which my budget allow.

i have done quite a bit of research online. I know the nissin one is more powerful and both support i-ttl.

i am more into taking portrait.. i personally are more into getting the nissin. Please kindly enlighten me. many thanks.

:confused::confused:

if you are more into nissin then go for nissin lo?

if you are more into nissin then go for nissin lo?

Oh that is really a fast reply.. but i have read a lot of posts and review online, a lot ppl is saying to go for the original one for my camera.Which make me think again, but i find the nissin have more control. really
confused.. haiz.. well thanks alot for the quick reply..

Oh that is really a fast reply.. but i have read a lot of posts and review online, a lot ppl is saying to go for the original one for my camera.Which make me think again, but i find the nissin have more control. really
confused.. haiz.. well thanks alot for the quick reply..

Actually a lot of pro are using Nissin and there are very favorable comments on this flashgun. However it is not a really light flashgun, so you might want to test it out to see if the weigh appeal to you.

(I am also assuming that you have read reviews on each flashgun and knows their pro and con).

The swivel head is important to me, so I would choose the Nissin

One thing the nissins do not have is the BL mode, which I find extremely useful and indispensable when using flash on a hotshoe.

One thing the nissins do not have is the BL mode, which I find extremely useful and indispensable when using flash on a hotshoe.

Oh.. sorry but i really having issues in understanding the different between TTL and TTL-BL!! Is really quite confusing. Please kindly enlighten me.. many thanks :)

Yes, I think that's very useful, I should change my Nissin to an SB-700 soon.

Oh.. sorry but i really having issues in understanding the different between TTL and TTL-BL!! Is really quite confusing. Please kindly enlighten me.. many thanks :)

TTL-BL balances the light between the background and the subject, really useful for fill flash

dont mind me of-topic-ing a little bit..

when i shoot ppl in ttl BL, i have to dial in -1 to -1.7ev in order to get the right exposure. the good thing is that it consistently overexposes so once i dial in the compensation everything is fine. but when i shoot in ttl mode(with my manual lenses) theres no compensation needed. do you guys share the same problem?

TTL-BL balances the light between the background and the subject, really useful for fill flash

Oh ... i see, i better read more on it... anyway thanks... but like a newbie like me, i think will go for the nissin first and in time to come then upgrade to a better one... speedlight is really hard to understand and really confusing. haiz.. :(

Oh ... i see, i better read more on it... anyway thanks... but like a newbie like me, i think will go for the nissin first and in time to come then upgrade to a better one... speedlight is really hard to understand and really confusing. haiz.. :(

Don't worry too much. There are quite some CSers using Nissin and still happy with it :)

when i shoot ppl in ttl BL, i have to dial in -1 to -1.7ev in order to get the right exposure. the good thing is that it consistently overexposes so once i dial in the compensation everything is fine. but when i shoot in ttl mode(with my manual lenses) theres no compensation needed. do you guys share the same problem?

I sure hope some senior here will answer your question so that i can learn more in the meantime :)

Yes, I think that's very useful, I should change my Nissin to an SB-700 soon.

Haha u should! i just got mine todae boy am i amazed. given that sb700 now doesn't have u to choose TTL/TTL-BL, as it auto compensates and adjust accordingly better in all TTL-BL mode, unless in spot metering. Build quality feels more solid than the sb600 too.

Portraits look gd esp with a bright background.

are u using an sb600? they tend to overexpose a lil imo, but could differ with other people. TTL mode in 600 is ok. BL overexposes a lil for me previously

Hope this sheds some light on how BL mode behaves bro.

[vid]pfONFdXhO8o[/vid]

[vid]he35-IRSd2c[/vid]

I was told once that nissin doesn't give accurate color. meaning it does turn abit yellowish compare to the original. not sure if I'm correct.