Recommendation for shooting sites in Bali

Status
Not open for further replies.

yehosaphat

Oct 28, 2005
North
Hi all,

Planning a trip down to Bali soon in May. Heard from people who went there before the place is great for sunset shots amongst all others.

Can anyone recommend which part of Bali is a cannot be missed site?
Which part of the day to go for such shots?
where to stay and roughly the costs?
And of course wat to shoot?

Thanks in advance! ;)

Go to Tanah Lot. Very beautiful sunset....... very beautiful....

Noted. Any photos to share? ;)

IMG_3757.jpg

Tanah Lot

IMG_3725.jpg

Tanah Lot

bali_hol59.jpg

Kuta Beach

Thanks for sharing bowwow!

Any other things to take note? How many days you reckon I need for the stay there?

i'd say not more than 5 days unless you're into the partying night scene.

Tanah Lot (temple)
Ubud (artist enclave)
Kuta Beach
Seminyak Beach (prefer the sunsets from here)
Canggu (surf point, black sandy beach, sunset)
Nusa Dua (commerialised, almost feels like stepping into sentosa)
Dreamland (surf)
Tabanah (hot springs)
Mt Agung
Denpasar (capital)
Jimbaran (fish market and seafood restaurants)
Uluwatu
Gianyar

You can venture north towards Singaraja but it's mostly a dead, sleepy town.

Be careful of the calos (the local touts). Don't flash your money around, try to keep some loose cash seperate from your wallet and use that instead.

Taxis are cheap but they can take you for a long ride instead of a shorter route, insist they turn on the meter if it's not on. If you can, try to get transport with driver (some taxis if not all will also do this). Think the market rate is between rp.270,000 to rp.300,000 per day depending on season. If u need a recommendation for a trustworthy driver let me know.

In most shops(except for the malls), bargain. Start at 50% and work from there. The Balinese won't see it as cheating if u find u paid a higher price than what u can get elsewhere. They look at it more as a "u agreed to pay this price, so it's fair". The calos on the other hand are a different story all together.

Exchange rates tend to be better there but you have to shop around.

Wow, thanks for sharing this info. Will look for you when the date comes closer for the driver recommendation.

Any sample iteneries to share for a typical 4D3N there anyone?

go Tanah Lot, remember to shoot the temple also, not just sunset...letmesee if I can find some pictures...but one thing is, the legend is if you go there with boyfriend or girlfriend then will breakup...if married then safe :sweat: ;p

other than the excellent places bowwow suggested, can also visit
- Pura Taman Ayun which is a beautiful temple complex set within a moat
- Lake Bratan, where there is a temple complex set into the vulcanic lake
- Kertha Gosa in Klung Kung, a former judicial complex which has some nice architecture, landscaping and roof paintings...
- the museums in Ubud like Agung Rai and Neka...Neka has an extensive photography collection as well, at least the last time I was there...

one word of advice...at Uluwatu or the various Monkey Forests should you visit them, hold onto your stuff or you have to "pay" some local to "retrieve" the items from the marauding monkeys...especially cameras, sunglasses, even spectacles...if possible keep you glasses and sunglasses and wear contacts if you can't go around without glasses...:angry:

hmmm...is it time for my yearly Bali retreat...:think: :lovegrin:

go Tanah Lot, remember to shoot the temple also, not just sunset...letmesee if I can find some pictures...but one thing is, the legend is if you go there with boyfriend or girlfriend then will breakup...if married then safe :sweat: ;p

it's not a legend, it's the curse of Tanah Lot.

:bsmilie: Thanks for the tip RBK! Looking forward to your pics!

Here are some I managed to dig up...

theRBK200207Bali1.jpg

the temple at Tanah Lot

theRBK200207Bali2.jpg

Pura Taman Ayun

theRBK200207Bali3.jpg

Lake Bratan

theRBK200207Bali4.jpg

Kertha Gosa

it's not a legend, it's the curse of Tanah Lot.
all the more reason to be wary :D

- Lake Bratan, where there is a temple complex set into the vulcanic lake

if u're going to lake bratan(danau bratan) to see the temple(pura ulun danu bratan), try to make it to candi kuning as well which is not far off. that's a main vegetable market in bali. the land around that region is fed by rich volcanic soil and the water from lake bratan. the fruits, vegetables and flowers there are amazing; the colours, smell and taste. you can even get strawberries here which can be surprisingly sweet.

Next to the market is the botanic gardens. this one is big.

Ok. So I guess these are some of the must dos when I am there...

1) Go Tanah Lot for shoot and sunset
2) Kuta beach for shopping
3) Jimbaran beach for sunset and seafood dinner
4) Kudeta fine dining at Seminyak
5) Ketupat at Legian

What is there to do at Uluwatu?
Where is Pura Taman Ayun and LAke Bratan?

5) Ketupat at Legian

kudeta is a rip-off.. not worth the time... better take a short walk to samaya for better food or even next door to kudeta at the oberoi.

if u're in seminyak, u can try "tuesday night pizza", one of the better pizzas around. trattoria is an italian joint that seems forever packed but the food is highly inconsistent. if u hanker for chinese, head to tuban, quite a few chinese restaurants there; warung tanjong pinang(char kway teow and otak), lao ta (24hrs porridge), furama.

lake bratan is in the central/north of bali in the mountainous region.

kudeta is a rip-off.. not worth the time... better take a short walk to samaya for better food or even next door to kudeta at the oberoi.

if u're in seminyak, u can try "tuesday night pizza", one of the better pizzas around. trattoria is an italian joint that seems forever packed but the food is highly inconsistent. if u hanker for chinese, head to tuban, quite a few chinese restaurants there; warung tanjong pinang(char kway teow and otak), lao ta (24hrs porridge), furama.

lake bratan is in the central/north of bali in the mountainous region.

Agree that kudeta is super ex. but one of my frens said it is a must go cos of the food and sunset....

Also whats there at uluwatu?

Agree that kudeta is super ex. but one of my frens said it is a must go cos of the food and sunset....

Also whats there at uluwatu?

trust me, u can go there and just chill and enjoy the sunset but i wouldn't advise much else. you can get much better quality food and more value for money elsewhere.

uluwatu has a temple perched on a cliff overlooking the ocean. beware of monkeys here.

trust me, u can go there and just chill and enjoy the sunset but i wouldn't advise much else. you can get much better quality food and more value for money elsewhere.

uluwatu has a temple perched on a cliff overlooking the ocean. beware of monkeys here.

k thanks... any shots on uluwatu from anyone?

can also shoot sunrise from Mt Batur if u dun mind waking up at 2am for a 2 hr climb up the volcano.. the sunrise is awesome...

BTW, are you aware that those places near to each other ? :think:
Better ask local people and plan your itinerary...

5) Ketupat at Legian

BTW, are you aware that those places are near to each other ? :think:
Better ask local people and plan your itinerary...

Status
Not open for further replies.