Recommendation for Scenic location for Sept travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadus

Jan 17, 2002
HWZ?
mylife.clubsnap.org
I'm looking to chill out in 1st week of Sept - F&E type of holiday. But tour package also acceptable.
Any recommendations for these conditions:-

1. Cool place (ie, not tropical hot stuff eg. [not] phuket-type of place)
2. Scenic location greatly preferred. I'm suckers for landscape photography.
3. Lowest possible cost. I know if cost no concern, i'm tempted to go NZ or Hokkaido again. But... well, cost is a concern, dun suggest NZ or Hokkaido.

I think Halong Bay Vietnam is good destination place ..... fall season, cooling and their magnificent nature wonder Halong Bay, World Heritage ... stay one nite at their boat and enjoy the spectacular view.

I plan long time to go .... but always fail because too busy eventhoug when i travel to Hanoi hehehe :)

oh yar. slipped my mind on this one too even though been to vietnam. Nvr been to the northern part though.

Sep is v good time to travel for many countries!
Just china alone, many parts for you to choose, from Yunan to Xinjiang,
cool, great landscape and definitely more affordable than Hokkaido.... ;)

Jiu Zai Gou in China? Nice time to visit during autumn when the scenery is said to be the best.

Yupz, i just saw the package for Jiu Zai Gou in China. Cant believe china travel so cheap!!! I always tot its at least $1.5k coz of the long distance and such... haha. i'm mountain turtle nowadays.

Looks like quite likely i'll book jiuzhaigou with china express come june for their sept travel. isnt it very hot then?

Shadus said:
I'm looking to chill out in 1st week of Sept - F&E type of holiday. But tour package also acceptable.
Any recommendations for these conditions:-

1. Cool place (ie, not tropical hot stuff eg. [not] phuket-type of place)
2. Scenic location greatly preferred. I'm suckers for landscape photography.
3. Lowest possible cost. I know if cost no concern, i'm tempted to go NZ or Hokkaido again. But... well, cost is a concern, dun suggest NZ or Hokkaido.
Hmm... F&E type of holiday?

Hw abt a self-drive trip in OZ? :dunno: Maybe u can try Cambodia, Vietnam as many had suggested, Chang Mai, etc.

mpenza said:
Jiu Zai Gou in China? Nice time to visit during autumn when the scenery is said to be the best.
This is confirmed by many. But have to contend with the crowd.

Sapa is having rice harvest time in Sept. Should be great if you hit it right. Check it out.

NZ is a bit cold still in Sept. Not sure if the scenery will be as great.

I will bet on China Jiu Zai Gou area. Just not sure if diy will pay off instead of following the tour group. I hope somebody experience can lead a group for photog for the trip.

I suggest Xinjiang wonderful place...

go for a aussie road trip! =)

F&E is the way to go if you want to take photos. If u join tour yuo'll just take postcard photos... i.e. you might as well save your back and leave your camera at home and buy cheap postcards.

If budget is a problem, maybe I suggest to start close to home. Like wake up really early (5am?) and run to the east coast and catch the sunrise in the morning. Or take a 1 day hike in one of the small National Parks around singapore. Or go to Sarawak and take some jungle photo.

F&E can get quite expensive. I like to go to the US but to do a F&E while taking landscape photos requires some time and you might have to spend a lot of time in a single place to wait for the right conditions. Car Rental + Accomodation can cost quite a bit if its 1-2 weeks.

haha. nope. i meant to go for a tour, not to take perfect photos. so waking up 5am to east coast is definitely not my idea of a relaxing tour. anyway, i dun subscribe to the school of perfect photography since am no professional. i just take photo for the fun and enjoyment.

i was thinking of going US again, but i've only 1 week, definitely too short. preferably 2 weeks at least. My other location is actually hokkaido, but my other half kindly pointed out to me that it'll set us back at least $5k. China location looks very attractive at this moment. I still find it hard to believe 1 week Jiuzhaigou will cost less than $1k? but of coz, the crowd... major put-off. but hey, tour group means i just tag-along, how stressful can tht get?

Clown said:
go for a aussie road trip! =)

:thumbsup: I second that!!

Do a roadtrip on the west coast, if you have time, rent a campervan from Perth drive all the way up to cairns. cook and sleep along the way. Shoestring backpacker style - The way to go :)

it's cool! I've been wanting to do this for quite some time, but I just haven't save enough money yet.

Sept is it too cold for aussie?
I nvr done campervan before, any information to start off? Just some concerns

1. Hygiene.. haha. what to do with our waste? will it stink up the campervan?
2. Shower -> err... impt for my other half
3. Safety?
4. campervan can only park in designated area (i assume). Right? If so, how does one travel into a city?

Shadus, I had in fact did some very vague planning for a roadtrip in WA (Western Australia). So I asked a friend who'd studied in Perth for many many years. Just before she came to work in Singapore 1 month ago, she emailed me the following information... Really useful information in my opinion... She's fantastic and i love her so much for it! :)

----

1. Best time to come.

I think you should come around September to October. Although Manta rays breeding season is around july-aug, you can still see lots of them during sept-oct while not missing out on the greenery of 'land' nature because it would be spring. Whale sharks are I think all-year-round. During spring time, the land won't be so 'dead' and dry if you know what i mean.

2. Car rental

I have rented a campervan before. I think it would be very convenient to have a campervan when you travel upnorth so that you can camp in the beautiful national parks. Make sure you choose the 4WD ones, coz some national parks are only accessible with 4WD. For some ideas on the rates, visit www.britz.com.au They are not necessary the cheapest one, but just have a look and you can do rough costing.

However, one bad thing is that. You know how you may be staying in a town for a couple of days. Let say you chose the campervan that needs to set up tent. You will find it a hassle if you need to dismantle them just because you need to use the car to get somewhere around the town. So make sure you take that into consideration. I wouls suggest you pick something like 'The Bushcamper 4WD' if you look at the website.

Campervans might be good for roadtrip but it wouldn't when you want to stay in perth. I am not sure but I can't remember if there's any caravan park in the city. The closest I know is about at least 25-30 mins drive. So if you are staying in the city, I suggest drop the campervan. A little scooter would be a great mode of transport and there are alot of backpackers' lodge in the city.

3. Petrol Price

It's been fluctuating but settling around $1.13/lt. You will have to check again as you know the prices have been very inconsistent. Visit http://www.fuelwatch.wa.gov.au/ for latest update. Notice that prices in metro areas are different to regionals.

4. Accommodation

Backpackers here are rather cheap. They cost about $15-$30 a bed a night depending on location, season and type of room. There are rooms that you share with 7 other people, then there are also singles. So prices may vary quite differently from places to places. But if you are renting caravan, then you would need to pay caravan park fees. They can be as low as $8/night per bay to $25. Price varies according to the facilities the park provides (like powered or non-powered), water, common kitchen, bathroom, etc. Of course, locations would affect prices as well.

5. Cost of living

Cooked food (from restaurants, stalls.. etc) are generally a lot more expensive compared to cooking your own meals. Simple meals like sandwiches, frozen meals and salad would proably cost around $3-5. It's considered cheap here as a McDonald value meal cost around $6 (just to give you some indication).

6. Other costs (that I think you need to take into account)

You may need to think about National park fees. They don't cost alot, probably about $10-$20. Some charge per person, others charge per vehicle. Other costs would probably include boat charges (for snorkelling trips) and gear hire (if you need).

7. Useful information

You can find lots of information through these websites. You can use these links for ideas but I do not recommend you to directly book any accommodation, car rentals and tours from them. From my experience, going through travel agents are normally cheaper than calling them direct. If you need to book anything, let me know as I know a travel agent friend (and she always give me good deals) =)

http://www.westernaustralia.com/en/

Check out this web for ideas on drive itinerary:

http://www.discoverwest.com.au/mapall.html

Ok. I think that's quite alot of information for now. Hehe.. let me know if you need more information. More than happy to help. =)

----

Let me know if you have anymore enquiries.

Cool. Campervan is kinda in my dream sort of tour. I need to digest some of these information first. I'm definitely not the city kind of person, its just that i'm not certain about the rules & regulations of driving a campervan.

Anyway, the closest we ever had for such type of tour is in USA. One of my friend had a friend who actually owned a mobile home. ie not a campervan, but those super gigantic trailers. I think cost US$500k or something like tht, but its just a 'relatively' small one. (wow i say USA pple damn rich). Unfortunate my friend not willing to drive it. Too big he says.

Shadus said:
Cool. Campervan is kinda in my dream sort of tour. I need to digest some of these information first. I'm definitely not the city kind of person, its just that i'm not certain about the rules & regulations of driving a campervan.

Anyway, the closest we ever had for such type of tour is in USA. One of my friend had a friend who actually owned a mobile home. ie not a campervan, but those super gigantic trailers. I think cost US$500k or something like tht, but its just a 'relatively' small one. (wow i say USA pple damn rich). Unfortunate my friend not willing to drive it. Too big he says.

Wow! Is it similar to the black huge bus-turn-house in the movie 'Meet the Fockers'? Hehe.. If it is, it's darn cool...

regarding rules n regulations, dun worry, the rental company will be glad to feed you with info hehe :)

Woah, cool! Always dream of doing a campervan roadtrip! Thanks for sharing these! :)

behyx said:
Shadus, I had in fact did some very vague planning for a roadtrip in WA (Western Australia). So I asked a friend who'd studied in Perth for many many years. Just before she came to work in Singapore 1 month ago, she emailed me the following information... Really useful information in my opinion... She's fantastic and i love her so much for it! :)

----
----

Let me know if you have anymore enquiries.

nuts said:
Woah, cool! Always dream of doing a campervan roadtrip! Thanks for sharing these! :)

hehe, welcome :)
good things must share.

I'm sure given your travel experiences, a WA roadtrip is chicken-feat for you. hehehe

I was looking at the campervans. The bushcamper ur fren recommend seems to be too small. more like a jeep. But if say we choose the "elite" in tht site, is tht a 2WD only.

Status
Not open for further replies.