recommendation for prime lens

acura

Deregistered
Feb 22, 2009
Hi there, would jus like to ask, is there any recommendation for any good prime lenses for a K7? pardon my noobness, but i would like to know a summary of the advantages of a prime lens...3rd party welcome too:) tks tks;p

primes lens are meant for those who know exactly what they wanna shoot at a specific focal length.
u'll know which to get when u know what u wanna shoot..

hmm i find 50mm a bit too far for my reach. i just want it to take walkabouts? no specifics actually. if i were to specify a reach prob...30mm?

FA31 and DA30? Sigma 30/1.4 also but it might have quality control issues. If you want even wider can get old manual 28mm primes to play with

It'd be much easier to advise you if you provide your budget instead. Or we will be beating around the bush giving you all the different models which does not make any sense at all.

hmm i find 50mm a bit too far for my reach. i just want it to take walkabouts? no specifics actually. if i were to specify a reach prob...30mm?

If you have lobang for an fa35, grab it :) many good things have been said abt it before.

Among the current range, the da35 macro is a good lens too. This is my all purpose walk about lens for street and portraits. and the 1:1 macro comes in handy for food photography.

Now, obviously, 1:1 magnification is something only a prime lens can offer, so if you're interested in insect macro, primes are great.

Other benefits includes sharper image, bigger max aperture (I.e. faster) and smaller size.

There are limitations as well: can't zoom, so you have to work with a fixed focal length. Can zoom with your feet though ;)

This limitation, I feel, actually helps me to improve. It forces me to think and compose properly before shooting.

I don't buy the 'will miss some shots cos you can't zoom' or 'must always change lens' argument. It's a matter of understanding your equipment, both their strengths and limitations.

Hi there, would jus like to ask, is there any recommendation for any good prime lenses for a K7? pardon my noobness, but i would like to know a summary of the advantages of a prime lens...3rd party welcome too:) tks tks;p

google is your best friend.

search parameters: "prime lens advantage"... time taken, 5 seconds.

http://onlinephototutorials.com/2008/08/01/photo-tip-get-a-fast-prime-lens/
http://www.digital-slr-guide.com/prime-lens.html
http://www.glennwolsey.com/2007/08/28/prime-lenses-vs-zoom-lenses/
http://www.digital-photography-school.com/prime-vs-zoom-lenses-which-are-best

please read and digest.

Since the others have already covered the boring advantages/disadvantages portion. I will cover the interesting BBB portion. :D

Available new lenses
-------------------
FA31,FA35, DA40, DA35, DA21, FA43, Sigma 30/1.4

Available as old (some are MF)
------------------------------
F28, FA28, M28/2.8, K24/2.8, K28, K30, K35, M40, A28, A35,

FWIK, there is also the Cosina/Vivitar 24/2.8, which I find is good and dirt cheap.
There are also the many Kiron/Vivitar 28/2; 28/2.8 lenses which are pretty good as well.

Last edited:
Since the others have already covered the boring advantages/disadvantages portion. I will cover the interesting BBB portion. :D

Available new lenses
-------------------
FA31,FA35, DA40, DA35, DA21, FA43, Sigma 30/1.4

Available as old (some are MF)
------------------------------
F28, FA28, M28/2.8, K24/2.8, K28, K30, K35, M40, A28, A35,

FWIK, there is also the Cosina/Vivitar 24/2.8, which I find is good and dirt cheap.
There are also the many Kiron/Vivitar 28/2; 28/2.8 lenses which are pretty good as well.

the F28s incredible if you can find one!!

Are you shooting something more than 3 meters away ?
I would get a Pentax-M 28mm (or Pentax-A if the price is good)
Focus to infinity and just shoot. Cheap and Good.

Are you shooting something more than 3 meters away ?
I would get a Pentax-M 28mm (or Pentax-A if the price is good)
Focus to infinity and just shoot. Cheap and Good.

You should focus to hyperfocal distance and shoot, in this way, you dof (1/2 of hyperfocal distance to infinity) will be deeper :)

ok eh...with regards to my own research, i know that prime lenses have less elements, hence better IQ and all that thing...what i would like to know from users is, is it really that improved over zoom lenses? as for money, i guess...mayb up to 500? i don't really need a F1.4, mayb 1.8-2.8 is fine? and i'm looking for below 50mm as i feel its too far out. i dont mind 3rd parties or 2nd hand either. not sure if i'm being realistic here haha cos i've never really looked into prime lenses:confused:

ok eh...with regards to my own research, i know that prime lenses have less elements, hence better IQ and all that thing...what i would like to know from users is, is it really that improved over zoom lenses? as for money, i guess...mayb up to 500? i don't really need a F1.4, mayb 1.8-2.8 is fine? and i'm looking for below 50mm as i feel its too far out. i dont mind 3rd parties or 2nd hand either. not sure if i'm being realistic here haha cos i've never really looked into prime lenses:confused:

don't compete with me for da 40 @ B&S ;( lol

for me, the lack of zoom can be a bother sometimes but it really makes shooting more fun. once, i was shooting with the 18-55 kit lens, and i was busy composing by walking to the front slowly until my friend told me "USE ZOOM LA!" I forgot i was not using a prime hahas.

Last edited:

check the price guide. can call up the shops to ask them to quote you on the updated prices. prices have gone up lately.

500 is a little on the lower side. your best bet would be a 2nd hand DA40, but i would personally recommend the DA35 if you can up your budget. or better yet, the FA31 or FA43 :devil:

the difference in IQ can be quite obvious when you compare the images taken at the same focal length side by side... and you benefit from bigger max aperture. thats important when you take pix in low light. and the bokeh :lovegrin:

other pple may have different views but i wouldn't recommend the sigma 30mm prime... its not cheap and its heavy :sweat:

500 can get a 2nd hand FA 35..cause I got mine ard that price also..if you going for the outing this sat..i can lend you try my 35 ;)

hi guys im also looking for a prime lens for my k-x,

im interested in vivitar lenses as well as M 50 1.7/2 etc...

anyone got any recommendations? budget around $200 :(

hi guys im also looking for a prime lens for my k-x,

im interested in vivitar lenses as well as M 50 1.7/2 etc...

anyone got any recommendations? budget around $200 :(

Pentax SMC-M 50mm f1.4:thumbsup:

Pentax SMC-M 50mm f1.4:thumbsup:

hey guys, what about a pentax SMC-A 50mm f1.4?

would the aperature piority mode be worth the extra in dollars?:dunno: