recommendation for prime lens

What mode do you normally use now?

im experimenting with everything but i must admit aperature piority is quite handy, just not sure if it justifies the high price

im experimenting with everything but i must admit aperature piority is quite handy, just not sure if it justifies the high price

if u wan to have 1 thing less to worry about then yes..or if budget is really a concern..why not get a A50mm f2 lens instead..shld be less than $100..if dun like..just sell it off :cool:

if u wan to have 1 thing less to worry about then yes..or if budget is really a concern..why not get a A50mm f2 lens instead..shld be less than $100..if dun like..just sell it off :cool:

actually i really dun mind getting a a50mm f2 lens... since im still experimenting with lenses now..
a50mm f2 really less than $100? hehe im looking for low budget lenses to experiment

imo, it does justify the price. reason: A lenses are much more straightforward to use.

when using M lenses, its not just losing the ability to control aperture from the body and having to set aperture using the aperture ring.

in addition,
- the aperture doesn't show in your exif data
- can't use multi-segment metering
- p-ttl flash doesn't work properly so have to use flash in M mode

actually i really dun mind getting a a50mm f2 lens... since im still experimenting with lenses now..
a50mm f2 really less than $100? hehe im looking for low budget lenses to experiment

ya..if you look at the old B&S..some are selling below $100 ;)

imo, it does justify the price. reason: A lenses are much more straightforward to use.

when using M lenses, its not just losing the ability to control aperture from the body and having to set aperture using the aperture ring.

in addition,
- the aperture doesn't show in your exif data
- can't use multi-segment metering
- p-ttl flash doesn't work properly so have to use flash in M mode

ah.. M lens don't work with Multi-Segment metering?? Damn, i did not knew about this. :sticktong. I only know all manual focus lens cannot choose Focus point only :bsmilie:

"A" lens is worth the price (must be within market price), unless you want to modify your M lens to be detected as an A lens. Remember someone did show a link or a thread on how to do it. I'm too lazy to do it, therefore given a choice i would choose the A lens.

Some reviews say the build quality of the A50/1.4 isn't as good because of the plastic, and the aperture ring doesn't stand the test of time too well

Some reviews say the build quality of the A50/1.4 isn't as good because of the plastic, and the aperture ring doesn't stand the test of time too well

What you describe relates to the A 50mm f/1.7. The build quality of the A 50mm f/1.4 is a lot better than the f/1.7 version.

Using an A lens is a lot easier to use compared to the earlier M and K versions and well worth the price difference.

What you describe relates to the A 50mm f/1.7. The build quality of the A 50mm f/1.4 is a lot better than the f/1.7 version.

Using an A lens is a lot easier to use compared to the earlier M and K versions and well worth the price difference.

I totally agree....:bsmilie:

I have a SMC K 50mmf1.4 and i mostly shoot wide open so its ok for me...

Also have a Tokina 28 f2.8 which i may let go ;)

Here are some lenses which are worth considering. Prime lenses can give a brighter view and picture quality is definitely more satisfying. Pentax range does not have much of choice, but there are 3rd party ones that are great too. Pentax mount has come classics (and may not cost you an arm or leg) which you should not miss. The 28mm, 50mm, 135mm are all worth to own.

28mm becomes like a 42mm in full frame. 42mm works like having a Yashica GSN or using the 45mm 2.8 in film days. Very easy to work with. When I need a wider coverage, I switch to a very compact film body like the Ricoh XR-10 or Pentax ME Super.
Rikenon XR 28mm F2.8 good for general walk around
IMG_691005162010.jpg

SMC 28mm 2.8 I prefer the M over the A for built, but A is more convenient on auto cams.
IMG_1654.jpg

50mm becomes something like a 75mm in full frame, not too bad. If you check the view finder, 75mm at times may be the closest to what your eyes see. 50mm at full frame appears as a medium wide if you know what I mean. It is good to isolate unwanted things in the pictures, which is what photography is about. The Rikenon lens is now having a big follow up in US on the Pentax dSLR. get it while you can.

The 1.7 is compact and light, good for walk around. 1.4 is heavier, good for low light.
Rikenon XR 50mm F2 great if you are in B&W mood. Need hood.
799_side_front_1.jpg

Rikenon P 50mm F1.7 be careful with the pin, but this lens rocks. Especially on film. It beats the Nikon 50mm 1.8 flat. I find this lens better than the SMC 50mm 1.7. Dont know why.
DSC_0028_edited.jpg

This lens on a Ricoh film camera beats a Nikon 50mm 1,8 on a FM.
Rikenon 50mm F1.4 (get the Pentax A 50mm 1.4 instead) Pentax has better contrast.

You may want to try Sears 135mm F2.8 macro (not the non macro). It goes really close, and picture quality is great. Back ground is a big swirl. The inbody anti shake is a great help. Will post some foliage picture when I got time.

The Rikenon 135mm F2.8 is also having a big follow up in Japan. One Japanese friend told me his club is hunting for this lens now. Indeed, taking pink flowers against a blue sky, this lens is nice. (Thanks Creampuff for the mint copy).
Rikenon_135mm_01.jpg

Last edited:
Tamron SP AF90mm F/2.8 Di MACRO will be a good choice, sharp and light weight at 150gm. Good lens to carry around.

detritus said:
check the price guide. can call up the shops to ask them to quote you on the updated prices. prices have gone up lately.

500 is a little on the lower side. your best bet would be a 2nd hand DA40, but i would personally recommend the DA35 if you can up your budget. or better yet, the FA31 or FA43 :devil:

the difference in IQ can be quite obvious when you compare the images taken at the same focal length side by side... and you benefit from bigger max aperture. thats important when you take pix in low light. and the bokeh :lovegrin:

other pple may have different views but i wouldn't recommend the sigma 30mm prime... its not cheap and its heavy :sweat:

I would recommend the sigma 30mm f1.4 especially it is 46mm at ff and low light at f1.4 and cheaper than da35. Try a few copies to make sure u have a sharp copy and if u can find one it will be a gem like mine . Heavy primes are good they stabilize your hand in the dark. Anyway people who says they are heavy haven't owned one to comment on it

My standard walkabout is the DA35 limited. The focal length is just right for me, although I've occasionally wished it was wider.

The build and image quality and it's relatively acceptable cost freaks my friends out :bsmilie:.