Recommendation for portable harddisk

Status
Not open for further replies.

L-plate

Mar 16, 2008
Any recommendation for the above?

I'm not a tech guy, wonder if there's one that would allow me to transfer photos from the CF card direct to the portable hard disk. Any cheap and good to recommend? Am looking for... say, maybe about 160GB. As for budget, would $150 be a fair amount? Although the cheaper the better.

Please do advise me on where am I able to buy it from.

Thank you in advance.

Look up on the advertisements on CS, EastGear has quite a good range.

Also check out Epson's series as well.

It is the casing that matters. Harddisk are pretty standard pricing.
The better ones in Eastgear might cost ard 150 or more for the casing alone though, but in exchange you get longer battery life, very fast transfer speeds, data verification along with other slew of specifications that you can read up on.

I would not trust my data with cheaper unreliable portable harddisks.

Ryan

Thanks for the replies. Am doing a search in the advers... I also did a further check and found out there's this NEXTO OTG. Any idea where can I get it?

Oh wow! The case alone cost about $200

Last edited:
Eastgear carries them. I think Harvey Norman also has them.
When I was getting mine last yr, the Nexto OTG harddisk was out of stock, and
Eastgear recommended me to get from Harvey Norman - same price as Eastgear

There are some other newer casing versions since I got mine last yr

Ryan

Hyperdrive Colorspace O - Memory World in Funan carries this model.

I have the previous Colorspace version (smaller LCD). Fast backup, long battery life, 32-bit verification, plus, it has a memory card recovery function. I have help my friend recovered a corrupted xD card with it.

Last edited:
Hyperdrive Colorspace O - Memory World in Funan carries this model.

I have the previous Colorspace version (smaller LCD). Fast backup, long battery life, 32-bit verification, plus, it has a memory card recovery function. I have help my friend recovered a corrupted xD card with it.

compare colourspace O and vosonic? and opinion?

I am quite keen in colourspace O.

Colourspace is cheaper and support Olympus raw file, but I think vosonic has more feature in it but cost more. not sure if it support olympus raw file.

You need a 2.5" hard disk with card reader casing. I bought mine from SIM LIM, 160G (SAMSUNG) for $150. If you not thinking of moving it around often and the size. 3.5" is worth considering too cause it is cheaper.

compare colourspace O and vosonic? and opinion?

I am quite keen in colourspace O.

Colourspace is cheaper and support Olympus raw file, but I think vosonic has more feature in it but cost more. not sure if it support olympus raw file.
Compare the two models:

Hyperdrive Colorspace O
Pro:
- faster backup speed
- 32-bit hardware based file verification
- memory card recovery function
- external battery case

Vosonic VP8860
Pro:
- better/larger 4.3" TFT LCD screen vs Colorspace O's 3.2" LCD
- plays video and audio files

Both manufacturers are quite good in providing firmware upgrades that will support new camera RAW files. I think both of them support the major camera manufacturers such as Canon, Nikon and Olympus.

If you just want to backup your memory cards on the go and do not need the bells and whistles such as radio, audio/video player, then Colorspace O should be quite good. Another option is the Nexto Extreme ND-2700 but the device does not have a color LCD to view the image.

With the price going down quite fast recently, UMPC has become another option depends on ones need.

EDIT: according to Eastgear's spec. Vosonic VP8860 supports Olympus E1, E200, E500 and E4500. Not sure if the newer model has a different RAW file format. Colorspace O supports (.orf) E-3, E-1, E-510, E-500,E-410, E-400, E-330, E-300

Last edited:
Compare the two models:

Hyperdrive Colorspace O
Pro:
- faster backup speed
- 32-bit hardware based file verification
- memory card recovery function
- external battery case

Vosonic VP8860
Pro:
- better/larger 4.3" TFT LCD screen vs Colorspace O's 3.2" LCD
- plays video and audio files

Both manufacturers are quite good in providing firmware upgrades that will support new camera RAW files. I think both of them support the major camera manufacturers such as Canon, Nikon and Olympus.

If you just want to backup your memory cards on the go and do not need the bells and whistles such as radio, audio/video player, then Colorspace O should be quite good. Another option is the Nexto Extreme ND-2700 but the device does not have a color LCD to view the image.

With the price going down quite fast recently, UMPC has become another option depends on ones need.

EDIT: according to Eastgear's spec. Vosonic VP8860 supports Olympus E1, E200, E500 and E4500. Not sure if the newer model has a different RAW file format. Colorspace O supports (.orf) E-3, E-1, E-510, E-500,E-410, E-400, E-330, E-300

thanks for the detail comparison, in the market other then vosonic and hyperdrive, any other brand doing the similar thing? photo viewer and on the move storage is what I need. Olympus raw files ORF.

forget abt Nexto at this time cuz no viewer.

thanks for the detail comparison, in the market other then vosonic and hyperdrive, any other brand doing the similar thing? photo viewer and on the move storage is what I need. Olympus raw files ORF.

forget abt Nexto at this time cuz no viewer.
epson... but their price are a little :sweatsm:
I think canon do have one as well, tho its not as popular as the other brands

Last edited:
epson... but their price are a little :sweatsm:
I think canon do have one as well, tho its not as popular as the other brands
Yeah, both Epson and Canon photo views are a bit crazy on the price (at least to most people)...

I try to search on epson photoviewer on their website, cant find. can anyone show me how it actually look like.

thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.