Recommendation for Photographer's Vest

surrephoto

Jan 14, 2009
Chinatown
www.surrephoto.com
Hi all fellow CS-ers,

I'm looking for a photographers vest to shoot weddings with.

The criteria for the vest that it must have huge pockets that can fit 2 L primes (35L/50L/85L) and a 580EXII flash.

I'm not a fan of belt systems so try not to suggest that as a solution... I like how i can just throw the lens into my pockets right after lens change, inspired by a well-known wedding pg on CS who wore cargo pants with huge pockets where he dump his L primes in when not using. I think it's convienient. :thumbsup:

I've looked at domke/tamrac vest and they look hardy/decent but not sure whether the pockets are big enough for this purpose. And is it available readily in singapore?

Cheers and thanks in advance for your help/comments!

my opinion..camera vests are overrated. get hunting or fishing vests as they are mostly designed for long hours outdoors.

however if budget is restricted...at around $30, cant beat the Canon vest.

Domke vest

It's the standard brand for vest i presume... but to be honest, they look huge and unweildly... looking for something like a waiter's vest but with big pockets.

my opinion..camera vests are overrated. get hunting or fishing vests as they are mostly designed for long hours outdoors.

however if budget is restricted...at around $30, cant beat the Canon vest.

I've been researching, some outdoor vests sold at hunting websites might do well.

Curious, can any vest fit or hold a Canon 70-200F2.8IS lens? :dunno:

I guess if you had a vest and a 70-200 f2.8, you would strap it beside you with a lens changing bag. :bsmilie:

I've just saw some pics of the Nikon vests and they seem to be well designed with large pockets suitable for my purpose.

Anyone knows whether it will fit at least 2 of my L lenses? Will it be available at the nikon showroom?

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

but is it warm to put on? esp in our hot climate!

but is it warm to put on? esp in our hot climate!
depends on the venue...most of the time, i prefer using the SBO system rather then a vest.

depends on the venue...most of the time, i prefer using the SBO system rather then a vest.

Yes, I ditto this.
Belt and harness system seems to work a little better in terms of ventilation in our humid climate.
But a vest such as the billingham, as I can imagine, would do me well in colder countries.

here in the USA, Columbia makes vests designed for photographers that they sell in some photography stores. They're good, Domke is good as well.

I've just saw some pics of the Nikon vests and they seem to be well designed with large pockets suitable for my purpose.

Anyone knows whether it will fit at least 2 of my L lenses? Will it be available at the nikon showroom?

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

I had 1 Nikon Vest (black colour), hope we are talking about the same 1..

I think Nikon Vest is better then Canon, as it has mesh at the back which is important for this hot climate.

I can put my Tamron 180 macro somewhere.

There a huge pocket at the back of the vest.

Hey Melvin, I just bought my Billingham hadley large from PK Chan last month. He passed me a brochure on the Billingham Photovest. It looks really good and versatile. Maybe you can consider calling him if you're interested. :)

I have a Domke vest and it is definitely has big enough pockets to meet your needs. I can fit the following in with our issue:

50mm f/1.4
24-105mm f/4
14mm f/2.8
580exII
External battery pack for flash
Spare battery for camera
Spare batteries (AA x8)
ND filter
PL filter
iPad (yes, really!!)
1ltr evian water
Stofen diffuser
Head and cable from Elinchrom Quadra (battery pack is over my shoulder)
Kitchen sink (just kidding!)

OK, it does weigh down on the shoulders a bit, and it does get a bit toasty if out of air con, but it beats a bag any day. It is especially good for traveling on aircraft as it doesn't count towards hand luggage.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about real world use of the Domke.

SeldomHere

Billingham vest is very hot.

Domke Pho-togs vest is very airy, good for singapore climate.

Curious... any vest that suitable for the 70-200F2.8 IS lens? :dunno:

Hey bro, the domke can fit 2 70-200s but it's not encouraged as you will have it hitting your legs like a rock 24/7.

To be honest, i've fit 2 video transmitters with broadcast camera batteries in the domke vest before, so nothing is impossible with it.

Billingham vest is very hot.

Domke Pho-togs vest is very airy, good for singapore climate.

Not sure about billingham comfort level, but my domke is indeed airy. Suspect the canon vest will be more airy.

Hey Melvin, I just bought my Billingham hadley large from PK Chan last month. He passed me a brochure on the Billingham Photovest. It looks really good and versatile. Maybe you can consider calling him if you're interested. :)

Looks nice... though i seldom use vest now due to people calling me "chao lao". So i'll just keep my domke for the future and use my TT lens pouch for the moment. :sweat: