recommendation for macro lens for canon 550d

filter you can try Raynox 250, quite alot of ppl using here

well, i just read that filter cant deliver veri clear image compare to macro lens. lolx. but aniwei, how much would it be for the filter of +4 for canon 550d? does it come with a set of more filter in it?

well, i just read that filter cant deliver veri clear image compare to macro lens. lolx. but aniwei, how much would it be for the filter of +4 for canon 550d? does it come with a set of more filter in it?

1. Look at the filters priceguide, or call up a shop.
2. No, you buy each filter separately. Very rare (and expensive) to find a set.

FYI, these are just magnification filters. Raynox will be better, macro lens best.

1. Look at the filters priceguide, or call up a shop.
2. No, you buy each filter separately. Very rare (and expensive) to find a set.

FYI, these are just magnification filters. Raynox will be better, macro lens best.

ic. thanks. kind of headache. macro lens so ex. hahax.

well. actually i'm looking into canon 100mm IS/non IS and sigma 150mm f/2.8 ex gd hsm macro lens, but nv use sigma lens before, so don't know how is it. or perhap consider getting macro filter?

Both the Sigma and Canon's macro lens are good enough for your macro needs. Filter and closeup lenses are a viable option to test out macro shots... (sometime I add my raynox to my macro lens for bigger magnification), but you would have to go much nearer to your subject, which for some nervous bug, is not a very good move.

Sigma's 150mm is a pretty heavy lens... something which I really don't like. I have been using the Canon 100mm f2.8 (non IS) lens for some time now, quality is good and I like it alot.

And like what many had mentioned, get yourself a good external flash and learn some flash techniques when taking macro photos. They are really more important than a tripod. One reason why I seldom use a tripod when shooting macro was that by the time you set up your tripod, the bug would have gotten away, or you might disturb it with your tripod... but it is not to say that a tripod cannot be use... you would just have to be very careful.

Both the Sigma and Canon's macro lens are good enough for your macro needs. Filter and closeup lenses are a viable option to test out macro shots... (sometime I add my raynox to my macro lens for bigger magnification), but you would have to go much nearer to your subject, which for some nervous bug, is not a very good move.

Sigma's 150mm is a pretty heavy lens... something which I really don't like. I have been using the Canon 100mm f2.8 (non IS) lens for some time now, quality is good and I like it alot.

And like what many had mentioned, get yourself a good external flash and learn some flash techniques when taking macro photos. They are really more important than a tripod. One reason why I seldom use a tripod when shooting macro was that by the time you set up your tripod, the bug would have gotten away, or you might disturb it with your tripod... but it is not to say that a tripod cannot be use... you would just have to be very careful.

hmm. thanks for your advice. but just for curiousity, i saw in the buy/sell thread, it seem like alot of people selling canon 100mm usm macro lens. as you have said, it quite a good lens, but how come so many people selling it ah? why ah? lolx.

hmm. thanks for your advice. but just for curiousity, i saw in the buy/sell thread, it seem like alot of people selling canon 100mm usm macro lens. as you have said, it quite a good lens, but how come so many people selling it ah? why ah? lolx.

Because they bought it thinking they will be the next macro king, then found out they do not have the passion/skill/patience.

Because they bought it thinking they will be the next macro king, then found out they do not have the passion/skill/patience.

hahax. oic. well. guess i have to start saving to aim for one.

rhino123 said:

Can let us know what type of external flash we need, some brand/ model please. Thanks in advance.

they no heart for macro lo lol.

Can let us know what type of external flash we need, some brand/ model please. Thanks in advance.

Can learn how to do your own research? Got so many threads in the macro section. Got so many results on google.

Please, learn to do some research on your own. Do not expect to be spoonfed like a baby.

from what i heard, converter filters are a nono.
Please do not confuse close-up lenses like Raynox with those crappy adapters like "Macro/Wide Angle Converters". While Raynox delivers decent results (the forum is full of good examples) those screw-on converters are only able to deliver distortions and soft focus. There is an entire thread dedicated to those Macro/Wide Angle converters, see for yourself.

Electrocam said:

A regular external flash would be good enough. I prefer to use shorter flashes for macro to prevent blockage by the leaves. Some people prefer macro ring flash/ twin flash.

A regular external flash would be good enough. I prefer to use shorter flashes for macro to prevent blockage by the leaves. Some people prefer macro ring flash/ twin flash.

Hmm how many flashes normally people use? 1 or 2? Because if you use one , there will be shadows casted right? And normally people do not want these shadows.

spree86 said:

Thanks, I would thought a special flash is needed. Thank you for your advise.

Rashkae said:
Can learn how to do your own research? Got so many threads in the macro section. Got so many results on google.

Please, learn to do some research on your own. Do not expect to be spoonfed like a baby.

THANK you.

Csboi said:
Hmm how many flashes normally people use? 1 or 2? Because if you use one , there will be shadows casted right? And normally people do not want these shadows.

Nope, it depends on how you diffuse your flash, if you do it correctly there would be no harsh shadows. So far, I have not tried a twin flash, I prefer a lighter setup.

Nope, it depends on how you diffuse your flash, if you do it correctly there would be no harsh shadows. So far, I have not tried a twin flash, I prefer a lighter setup.

I see, thanks!

macro ring flash is it those macro lens that have built in flash? heard it's pretty good but very ex.

saDdyJ86 said:
macro ring flash is it those macro lens that have built in flash? heard it's pretty good but very ex.

No macro lenses have built in flash. You attach the flash to the lens. Ring flashes can be cheap or expensive depending on the brand, however, I don't really like ring flashes