Recommendation for Italy and Paris


Status
Not open for further replies.

nemesis32

Senior Member
Oct 16, 2003
3,717
1
0
43
Singapore
Visit site
#1
Hi Guys,

I will be going on a honeymoon to Italy and Paris and would like to know if there's any recommendation on what to do/eat/shoot etc?

I will spend more time in Rome and PAris as it's free & easy, for other parts of italy, i will follow a tour to sites in Rome, Venice, Florence, Assissi etc...
 

CY_OH

New Member
Jun 24, 2004
1,236
1
0
34
Ang Mo Kio
www.flickr.com
#2
I went to Paris in March 2000 but did not go Italy. The trees and plants are quite bare in when I went and will only bloom in April. Thus I did not see the famous gardens of Chateau de Versailles as there was only beds of soil and bare trees.

To shoot the Eiffel Tower, cross the river and shoot from the other side. This is where the shots were there is a foreground of statues, fountains.

If you are interested, there is an unofficial memorial for Princess Diana at Pont De L'Alma. The tunnel below is the crash site.The Ritz Hotel is at Place Vendome, where there are several famous jewellery shops there.

Bring some 10F coins when you visit the Triumph Arch as there might souvenir coins from a vending machine. The coins seem to vary year by year, as a friend who went a year before had a different coin.
 

nemesis32

Senior Member
Oct 16, 2003
3,717
1
0
43
Singapore
Visit site
#4
kop said:
hey, i know u r a liverpool fan right? why not go anfield??? :D

Haha... honeymoon goes anfield,my wife will murder me!!

I will definitely want to go anfield before we shift to Stanley park in 2006. I heard the Liverpool supporters club is going this year!
 

nemesis32

Senior Member
Oct 16, 2003
3,717
1
0
43
Singapore
Visit site
#5
CY_OH said:
I went to Paris in March 2000 but did not go Italy. The trees and plants are quite bare in when I went and will only bloom in April. Thus I did not see the famous gardens of Chateau de Versailles as there was only beds of soil and bare trees.

To shoot the Eiffel Tower, cross the river and shoot from the other side. This is where the shots were there is a foreground of statues, fountains.

If you are interested, there is an unofficial memorial for Princess Diana at Pont De L'Alma. The tunnel below is the crash site.The Ritz Hotel is at Place Vendome, where there are several famous jewellery shops there.

Bring some 10F coins when you visit the Triumph Arch as there might souvenir coins from a vending machine. The coins seem to vary year by year, as a friend who went a year before had a different coin.
Ya... MArch is just after winter so not so nice, best time is prob from May-Sep.

The eiffel tower shot u mentioned, i knew it quite well as i wnet paris a couple of times before. Also, the crash site, i have been there before the accident so i knew where it is, i think there's a statue of liberty flame there at the entrance.

As for the 10F coins ... i didn't know abt it and will prob try it. Thanks Buddy! :)
 

yamcake

Senior Member
Aug 11, 2003
987
0
16
31
#6
I remb... the the Arc Du Champ is under some renovation last year.. donno ready or not..

Paris is a very nice place... but explore out of Paris! more suprises.. the chruches there are nicer... and much quieter.. easier to shoot..
 

Terence

Senior Member
Nov 16, 2003
4,751
0
0
I'm a Llama!
#8
When in Paris, do not miss out on the opportunity to visit one of the Laduree pastry shops. The one at rue Bonaparte features an empire style interior, really ornate and beautiful. The macaroons and eclairs are to die for...

http://www.laduree.fr/boutique_va.htm
 

matthew

New Member
Apr 19, 2002
122
0
0
Sydney
www.sleeper.apana.org.au
#9
nemesis32 said:
Hi Guys,

I will be going on a honeymoon to Italy and Paris and would like to know if there's any recommendation on what to do/eat/shoot etc?

I will spend more time in Rome and PAris as it's free & easy, for other parts of italy, i will follow a tour to sites in Rome, Venice, Florence, Assissi etc...
If you are in Rome for a week, buy a weekly ticket for their city public transport system. It's good value and you can reach a lot on their metro/tram/bus network covered by the ticket.

Rome's a 'fun' place. Absolutely crazy place, but some how still friendly. Found Paris pretty but the people were not as nice.

Italy is easy to get around, their railways are pretty fast and frequent and you don't need to know Italian to buy a ticket - all the major stations have multilingual vending machines that are hooked up to the same reservations network as the terminals used by the staff. Unless you are doing something really odd, the vending machines will supply what you need.
Many Italians can comminicate in at least broken english, although they are much amused and friendlier if you try Italian first :)

Just remeber to 'validate' your train ticket before getting on a train. (Little 'boxes' on the platforms stamp the date on the ticket). It's a large fine if you get caught, and you don't want to get into an argument with an ticket inspector who may decide they don't know any English just to make life hard for you :)

Many of the Italian railways staff were wearing name badges that also indicated what languages they spoke.

Italy has a lot of history. There's a lifetime worth of stuff to look at.
 

yamcake

Senior Member
Aug 11, 2003
987
0
16
31
#10
AReality said:
Ehhh..
Anyone know how much does a cheap meal cost in paris? Going backpacking there.
meals are not cheap in Europe.. lol.. a decent only cost about 10euros
bread (those delifrance kind) is cheapest.. maybe about 1 - 2 euros for 1 stick..
and they buy mineral water to drink. no one drinks from the tap.. but they are darn cheap... and wine too... very cheap.. (europe standard)
 

nemesis32

Senior Member
Oct 16, 2003
3,717
1
0
43
Singapore
Visit site
#11
matthew said:
If you are in Rome for a week, buy a weekly ticket for their city public transport system. It's good value and you can reach a lot on their metro/tram/bus network covered by the ticket.

Rome's a 'fun' place. Absolutely crazy place, but some how still friendly. Found Paris pretty but the people were not as nice.

Italy is easy to get around, their railways are pretty fast and frequent and you don't need to know Italian to buy a ticket - all the major stations have multilingual vending machines that are hooked up to the same reservations network as the terminals used by the staff. Unless you are doing something really odd, the vending machines will supply what you need.
Many Italians can comminicate in at least broken english, although they are much amused and friendlier if you try Italian first :)

Just remeber to 'validate' your train ticket before getting on a train. (Little 'boxes' on the platforms stamp the date on the ticket). It's a large fine if you get caught, and you don't want to get into an argument with an ticket inspector who may decide they don't know any English just to make life hard for you :)

Many of the Italian railways staff were wearing name badges that also indicated what languages they spoke.

Italy has a lot of history. There's a lifetime worth of stuff to look at.
Any suggestion on where to stay? Near Spanish steps or colosseum? etc
 

MichaelLee

Senior Member
May 19, 2003
3,548
5
38
JB, SG
#12
nemesis32 said:
Haha... honeymoon goes anfield,my wife will murder me!!

I will definitely want to go anfield before we shift to Stanley park in 2006. I heard the Liverpool supporters club is going this year!
hi nemesis32,

nothing about italy nor paris...but anfield.

I am still in contact with Liverpool supportes Club (malaysia)....they are actually visiting Anfield each year...they meet up the coaching staff...visit the dressing room..and meet up with the players as well...

I am also interested to visit Anfield before they move to Stanley Park..let make a trip there and cheers together..the worst if the team lost...we tear together loh....
 

Sep 14, 2002
72
0
6
Visit site
#13
nemesis32 said:
Any suggestion on where to stay? Near Spanish steps or colosseum? etc
I stayed near the railway station when i was there June last year. I think Rome's budget hostels are quite packed during summer, so i advise you to book early.

For all hostels in Europe, you can check out this website
http://www.bugeurope.com/reviews/

It's really good with the prices and address stated. The popular ones also have reviews. I was there for quite a while, so this website was really useful to me.. hope it helps.
 

Sep 14, 2002
72
0
6
Visit site
#14
AReality said:
Ehhh..
Anyone know how much does a cheap meal cost in paris? Going backpacking there.
The roasted chickens in some super markets are about 5-7 euros, can be shared by 3 persons. nice....... with bread(cheap!)

if you are looking for tourist set meals, can try this area near the university area, can remember what's the name, but it's quite well known with alot of students. A basic set meal which includes desert, starters and main cost from 8 to 12 euros. quality meal at "reasonable" prices imho.
 

AReality

Senior Member
Jun 9, 2003
4,458
0
0
VisualJournalist.net
#15
ajneo said:
The roasted chickens in some super markets are about 5-7 euros, can be shared by 3 persons. nice....... with bread(cheap!)

if you are looking for tourist set meals, can try this area near the university area, can remember what's the name, but it's quite well known with alot of students. A basic set meal which includes desert, starters and main cost from 8 to 12 euros. quality meal at "reasonable" prices imho.
Ahhh...
Thanks...
But the cheaper the better.
On a super tight budget.
Wanna last as long as possible, until wallet run dry. :)
 

Dec 30, 2003
227
0
16
43
Singapore
www.skylightimages.info
#16
Give her a loooong, passionate kiss when you get to the top of the Eiffel Tower. This is Paris, after all - and it is your honeymoon ;)

nemesis32 said:
Hi Guys,

I will be going on a honeymoon to Italy and Paris and would like to know if there's any recommendation on what to do/eat/shoot etc?
 

Stefen

New Member
Apr 26, 2003
446
0
0
38
Beijing
www.stefenchow.com
#17
If you are going italy, avoid napoli, or naples. The pasar malam and hooligan infested streets totally spoilt my good impression of italy....

I actually do morning jogs when i was in rome, running to the vantican city and back from the centre of rome. really nice experience. oh yah, and you catch the pope every wednesday if he is in the vantican city then...
 

Status
Not open for further replies.