Recommendation for good PnS camera with budget around SGD 500

Status
Not open for further replies.

wisann

Apr 19, 2008
Hi,

I am helping a friend to look for a good PnS Camera (good as in being able to produce good quality image in normla/low light situation). Since I am not so familiar with PnS camera ranges, I hope you guys can help me. Budget is around SGD 500. Not particularly into any brands but Canon, Panasonic, Fujifilm will be good.

Thank alot :)

Hi,

I am helping a friend to look for a good PnS Camera (good as in being able to produce good quality image in normla/low light situation). Since I am not so familiar with PnS camera ranges, I hope you guys can help me. Budget is around SGD 500. Not particularly into any brands but Canon, Panasonic, Fujifilm will be good.

If you can push that budget a little more, get a Panasonic LX3.

Hi,

Fuji 200EXR for $465 at AP.....wat else dude....

Panasonic LX3 $699
Canon G10 $799

any other recommendation ...would be to jump to Panasonic G1...good stuff.... for >=$1.1K...

Last edited:
Hi,

I recommend the Panasonic LZ8. For less then $170, its pretty good value for money.

But it all depends what your friend wants to do.

G10 -> Too big for her liking.
LX3 -> Isn't this way above SGD 500? I like this camera too, but not too sure if she would love it, because of the price and the manual settings, because she doesn't understand much about technical stuff of cameras and would prefer more auto settings.

Fuji 200EXR is within her range of budget. Is it good in low-light condition?

G10 -> Too big for her liking.
LX3 -> Isn't this way above SGD 500? I like this camera too, but not too sure if she would love it, because of the price and the manual settings, because she doesn't understand much about technical stuff of cameras and would prefer more auto settings.

Fuji 200EXR is within her range of budget. Is it good in low-light condition?

Theres actually a lot of preset modes on the LX3, and the auto is good, but the manual capabilities will allow creative freedom if she ever wants to dive into the world of photography. Leica lens too!

I think the Fuji is good too.

Hi, For $560-, get TZ7 panasonic for video + photo and
great amount of features from GH1.

if u buy it for a girl, I personlly recommend Canon IXUS 100/110is, about 400, but good also.

Yupe, it's for a lady friend. Um, not sure about ixus though, is it good in low-light? So far, the one that impresses me in low-light is LX3 only, even F200EXR loses out. Is there any other PnS cameras that can produce almost similar, if not the same, quality in low-light to LX3? (Canon G10 is out though, too big) ^^!

for night work, ideally the larger the sensor size the better to oversimplify things.

*smaller is better.
F200 1/1.6 " Super CCD EXR
LZ8 1/2.5" Type CCD
TZ7 1 /2.33 CCD
LX3 1/1.63" CCD
G10 1/1.7" Type CCD

Last edited:
Yupe, it's for a lady friend. Um, not sure about ixus though, is it good in low-light? So far, the one that impresses me in low-light is LX3 only, even F200EXR loses out. Is there any other PnS cameras that can produce almost similar, if not the same, quality in low-light to LX3? (Canon G10 is out though, too big) ^^!

Most ladies use a PnS for general use, so for low light situations, it doesn't really matter cos all looks the same with flash. You may want to get something that she likes rather than getting something good in technical spec but she finds it a hassle to even bring it out.

Panasonic LX3, Fuji F200EXR or Sony T90, Canon SX110is would be quite a good choice.

for low light shots, i think fuji F200 fits the bill and the budget.

take a look at the F200EXR review on dpreview,

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf200exr/

there are low light performance comparisons between F200EXR, LX3, 960IS etc, but afterall, just ask her which one she likes the most lar... :bsmilie:

Thanks guys for the recommendations. After reading through, I guess it's safe for me to recommend F200EXR to her :D

F200EXR by all means

I recommend F200

LX3 is way over her budget bro.. ^^;

Status
Not open for further replies.