Recommendation for Film Scanner & at the same time help a newbie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

behyx

Jun 15, 2002
SG
as above. i know there are some really pro photographers here who use film SLR.. i have a question here regarding film scanner..

i just borrowed a Minolta X-700 film SLR cam (a very very old one) from my relative..

it's equip with a HOYA 55mm SKYLIGHT (1B) 28-70mm 1:3.5 - 4.8 lens and a SKY (1A) 67mm f=28-200mm 1:4.0 - 5.6 lens.. now guys, tell me good or not? cos i am not that pro in camera and lens.. but i know how to appreciate nice pics and know how to use SLR cam.. (but not experience in macro though). the last time i use this cam is when i was sec4.. which is 4 or 5 years back..

so now considering to buy a film scanner to scan images into my com.. cos for me, it's a must to have a digital format of my photos in my com. and criteria are: -

- images must sharp eg: at least match a 5mp digicam
- color must be accurate

therefore, which decent-priced scanner can do the job?

and also, can anybody explain to me what those numbers (eg: 1:4.0 - 5.6.. etc) means?

Originally posted by behyx
as above. i know there are some really pro photographers here who use film SLR.. i have a question here regarding film scanner..

i just borrowed a Minolta X-700 film SLR cam (a very very old one) from my relative..

it's equip with a HOYA 55mm SKYLIGHT (1B) 28-70mm 1:3.5 - 4.8 lens and a SKY (1A) 67mm f=28-200mm 1:4.0 - 5.6 lens.. now guys, tell me good or not? cos i am not that pro in camera and lens.. but i know how to appreciate nice pics and know how to use SLR cam.. (but not experience in macro though). the last time i use this cam is when i was sec4.. which is 4 or 5 years back..

so now considering to buy a film scanner to scan images into my com.. cos for me, it's a must to have a digital format of my photos in my com. and criteria are: -

- images must sharp eg: at least match a 5mp digicam
- color must be accurate

therefore, which decent-priced scanner can do the job?

and also, can anybody explain to me what those numbers (eg: 1:4.0 - 5.6.. etc) means?

As far as dedicated film scanners go, they are typically better than any consumer digicams out there. If you are on budget, you can try the Acer ScanWit 2720 or its brother, the 2740. Both are ~2700dpi. The latter has ICE technology which removes dust and scratches from the scans. Costs $600/800 respectively or thereabouts. If you can push your budget to $1200, go for the excellent Nikon Coolscan IV ED, which also has ICE, and a resolution of 2900dpi.

1:4.0-5,6, 1:2.0, 1:1.4, etc refers to the focal ratio of the lens. The other number refers to the maximum aperture of the lens. in the case of 1:4.0-5,6, it will be 4.0 at the wide angle end of the zoom, 5.6 at the tele.

Regards
CK

why not try taking slides and send it to colorlabs/RGB/photo friends to scan for you?

That way you can try out first without getting a film scanner. What if you want the benefits of a digicam...

Originally posted by Snowcrash
why not try taking slides and send it to colorlabs/RGB/photo friends to scan for you?

That way you can try out first without getting a film scanner. What if you want the benefits of a digicam...

oh brother i never heard that there is such service! (nowadays those shops really amazing huh! it's only 1yr+ back then i know they can accept digital format of pictures.. haha)

anyway, how much does say 1 roll of 36 shots of film to be scan and save into digital format?

Originally posted by ckiang

As far as dedicated film scanners go, they are typically better than any consumer digicams out there. If you are on budget, you can try the Acer ScanWit 2720 or its brother, the 2740. Both are ~2700dpi. The latter has ICE technology which removes dust and scratches from the scans. Costs $600/800 respectively or thereabouts. If you can push your budget to $1200, go for the excellent Nikon Coolscan IV ED, which also has ICE, and a resolution of 2900dpi.

1:4.0-5,6, 1:2.0, 1:1.4, etc refers to the focal ratio of the lens. The other number refers to the maximum aperture of the lens. in the case of 1:4.0-5,6, it will be 4.0 at the wide angle end of the zoom, 5.6 at the tele.

Regards
CK

cool thanks!!

regarding the film scanner, the info are really useful. but i wanna ask how good/reliable is the ICE tech? cos usually technically speaking, such thing usually will also take away some details in the pic rite? or is it THAT GOOD that it can successfully remove those dust and scratches without doing any harm to the pic itself? and talking about the Nikon Coolscan IV ED compare with the Acer ScanWit 2740, what other differences are there other than the DPI difference? a matter of 200dpi wun have much difference rite?

oh brother i never heard that there is such service! (nowadays those shops really amazing huh! it's only 1yr+ back then i know they can accept digital format of pictures.. haha)

anyway, how much does say 1 roll of 36 shots of film to be scan and save into digital format?

$13 for a roll (digital+ process+index) , that's for colorlab. which is very cheap, I've try a roll and will collect it this friday. will update u.

cool thanks!!

regarding the film scanner, the info are really useful. but i wanna ask how good/reliable is the ICE tech? cos usually technically speaking, such thing usually will also take away some details in the pic rite? or is it THAT GOOD that it can successfully remove those dust and scratches without doing any harm to the pic itself? and talking about the Nikon Coolscan IV ED compare with the Acer ScanWit 2740, what other differences are there other than the DPI difference? a matter of 200dpi wun have much difference rite?

You are right that 200dpi will not make a lot of difference in the final output. ICE is really, really amazing. If you search the forums, there are posts by Acer 2740S and Coolscan IV users who posted before/after scans. It affects the picture, but the effect is very, very minimal. And is well worth the time saved on manually touching up.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

You are right that 200dpi will not make a lot of difference in the final output. ICE is really, really amazing. If you search the forums, there are posts by Acer 2740S and Coolscan IV users who posted before/after scans. It affects the picture, but the effect is very, very minimal. And is well worth the time saved on manually touching up.

Regards
CK

oh.. you said until it's like really amazing!

welll.. now i shall see if the extra $200 is worth the money.. hehehe!! gonna search now!!

thanks man you guys are great!

Originally posted by Bluestrike

see this tread

wow this is great difference man!! thxxx

Status
Not open for further replies.