Recommendation for CPU fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wai said:
yup...zalman is the most quiet PSU that i came across, but it is not cheap and I dunno if it is available locally

or u can get those PSU with temperature controlled fan, so that when the load is low, the fan in the PSU will automatically spin slower to reduce noise.

there is a brand call be-quiet...the fans actually will carry on spinning for 3 minutes after shut down, this is to remove the heat in the casing quickly to lengthen the life of the components

my superflower psu is temperature controlled with manual speed override, even on low speed its noisier than my gigabyte cpu cooler, so i think brand matters and i chose the wrong brand/model... any recommendations on locally available ones welcome.

Wai said:
hmm...which model got noise cancellation?

my Samsung E630C suppose to have this voice-clarity feature but dun make much diff to me leh

E800, voice cancellation and voice clarity r 2 diff features.

Just an interesting stuff to share...

Anyone heard of this "vortex tube" theory..interesting :)

rainman said:
Just an interesting stuff to share...

Anyone heard of this "vortex tube" theory..interesting :)

Sounds like my theory and crude design in connecting the fan to a PVC pipe to cool the CPU. This will enable full concentration of wind to the CPU ;)

rainman said:
E800, voice cancellation and voice clarity r 2 diff features.

i have E800 too and the noise cancelling feature is known as voice clarity...doesnt make much diff to me (eg. using the phone in MRT)

Speakerphone Function with Voice Clarity
- No more worries about background distractions. Relish crisp sound and enhanced clarity with SGH-E800C's noise reduction capability. Involving a synergy of voice optimisation features, this advanced voice clarity function automatically adjusts the volume for crystal clear sound above ambient noises.
- Free your hands without compromising on voice quality. The integrated speaker phone incorporates state-of-the-art echo cancellation technology, with the noise reduction and voice clarity functions, for clearer communication.
http://www.samsung.com/sg/products/gsm/gsm/sgh_e800c.asp
http://www.samsung.com/sg/products/gsm/gsm/sgh_e630c.asp

I am using a Thermaltake Silent Tower...running at 2250rpm.....it kept my Precott 3GHz at ~50C......but unfortunately it's not silense at all :thumbsd:

Adrian said:
Wow thanks for your tips guys, actually i was thinking to install a 12cm fan, connected to a PVC pipe to cool the CPU :think: or installing self made water coolant system. Then again, leakage is the worst enemy.

Hmm, you don't need a 12cm fan for that though a direct aiming tube like what you're suggesting is a good idea because it will bring cooler external air to cool your CPU most efficiently. You'll be surprised how effective a simple mod like that can do to cool your CPU a fair bit more than normal. It's funny how this simpe CPU airpipe idea (you can even read about the specs for one at Intel's site) is so old yet so few case manufacturers have actually provided for one over the years. It's only lately that I see a lot more cases having that.

Even if you're going with this, the noise of the heatsink fan is to me usually the most crucial noise factor and because of that, a large efficient heatsink with a low spinning fan is IMO, the only way to go.

Personally I don't like water cooling. It's too high maintenance for my lazy lifestyle. I like to keep things as simple as possible to minimise problems.

The other thing I like to do to keep fan noise low is to run some of my 12V fans at 5V. My two front intake fans are running extremely quietly as is the bottom of HD fans.

And finally, choose a low noise power supply. I like Tagans. They are extremely well made and very very quiet. Fairly reasonably priced too compared to the super exotic ones.

been there and done that...u will regret when the external fan suck in all the dust and clot your fans + other components...therefore now i make the fan blow OUT instead of suck in

one of my heatsink fan already got this "tube" build in...so i just need to attach the tube to the case fan at the back

Wai said:
i am using zalman heatpipe for my CPU, graphic card and HDD cooler

but my dream system is this zalman fanless casing

zalman-5.jpg

Dual CPU and all cooled by heatpipes, from hard disk, to CPU and graphic cards....

Aiyah this Zalman not as cool as this one

0,1020,340119,00.jpg

Wai said:
been there and done that...u will regret when the external fan suck in all the dust and clot your fans + other components...therefore now i make the fan blow OUT instead of suck in

one of my heatsink fan already got this "tube" build in...so i just need to attach the tube to the case fan at the back

Eh, fan blow out, air still must come in from somewhere man, and hence dust too.

Personally I think dust is unavoidable. Best to keep the room environment as clean as possible.

Every half a year or so, I pop the hood open and vac the accumulated dust.

kahheng said:
And finally, choose a low noise power supply. I like Tagans. They are extremely well made and very very quiet. Fairly reasonably priced too compared to the super exotic ones.

yup..i have the tagan too..cable are twisted to reduce clutter and got auto fan speed control so the noise is minimal

kahheng said:
Eh, fan blow out, air still must come in from somewhere man, and hence dust too.

Personally I think dust is unavoidable. Best to keep the room environment as clean as possible.

i got wire guaze for the front in-take fans to filter the dust, it is washable too, better than using air-con filter or stocking....

i have this in my main system and it does reduce the dust accumulated inside...compare to my brother system, it already got lumps and lumps of dust inside without the filter

Actually one of the best things I ever did for peace and quiet was to abandon a very very pretty (and rather pricey) aluminium Coolermaster case for a Chieftec steel case. My take is that most thin walled alu cases let out too much sound. The damn Coolermaster case was so noisy it wasn't funny.

Pity, it was the nicest case I had ever owned. I gave it to my best friend when I built him a PC from my old components after I upgraded.

Wai said:
i am using zalman heatpipe for my CPU, graphic card and HDD cooler

but my dream system is this zalman fanless casing

zalman-5.jpg

Dual CPU and all cooled by heatpipes, from hard disk, to CPU and graphic cards....

What is the rough cost for this setup? :bigeyes:

Sjourn said:
What is the rough cost for this setup? :bigeyes:

Sure or not you want this setup :bigeyes:
btw i put mine in the fridge :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Wai said:
u sell your D70 + 70-200VR surly can buy one lar...

i can help u to order if you want :bsmilie:

:faint: :faint: :faint: ...er just asking only.....

Wai said:
u sell your D70 + 70-200VR surly can buy one lar...

i can help u to order if you want :bsmilie:

I lost touch with PC's for quite a while.. Does the Zalman cost as much as the Soldam cases? You know... Those Soldam cases that cost S$1000++ w/o PSU..

I am amazed at your gf hearing, is she a musician? ;p

An unofficial wisdom from manufacturing, if you can't get rid of something, try to mask it. Just turn on some music, much cheaper than any of the super duper cooler or noise reduction phone. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.