Recommendation for Compact Camera @ $500?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ames

Sep 6, 2005
Hi, Looking around for a compact camera costing around $500 to take pictures of my baby girl when we go out. Primarily looking for good optics that can produce sharp images and vibrant colours. Any recommendation? Thanks for looking. :D

You may want to look for camera with the following features...

OIS - Optical Image Stablizer: Must be optical as that will effectively help to reduce shakey shots, esp when light is dim or when you need to take those shots at night and still be able to see the background lightings.

Maunal - If you are those interested to try playing around with some manual settings like aperture, shutter, exposure, etc.

ISO - Allows you to 'make' your camera more sensitive to light so you can take picture when it is not so bright (ie. indoor, nite, etc). However, pls note that the usual ISO is between 50 to 800 for most consumer camera (some goes up to 1600). But the higher it is the more noiser it is for the camera. So a usual guideline will be if the camera can goes up to 1600, usually you will only use up to 400 to get reasonable good pictures that is not too noisy. (noise here refers to the pixels that are usually visible in the darker areas of the photo).

Child mode - some camera nowadays have this pre-program mode for you to shoot children (who are usually moving around). Basically is a high shutter, low aperture setting. but it helps to have a preprogram mode. =)

hope this help.

Thanks for the recommendations! Was toying with the Fuji cameras at one of their promo booth last sunday, i didn't quite like the picture quality cos when i zoomed into the image, it appears quite grainy, or was it settings on the camera?

As such, am considering the Canon Powershot series, havn't tried the camera before, but saw some good recommendation fromo DPReview, anyone got any comments on this? How will the Canon compacts stack up against the Fuji ones?

canon 860 but it's about $550

Thanks for the recommendations! Was toying with the Fuji cameras at one of their promo booth last sunday, i didn't quite like the picture quality cos when i zoomed into the image, it appears quite grainy, or was it settings on the camera?

As such, am considering the Canon Powershot series, havn't tried the camera before, but saw some good recommendation fromo DPReview, anyone got any comments on this? How will the Canon compacts stack up against the Fuji ones?

Which model and at what settings?

Was at John 3:16 yesterday evening and another customer asked about a fuji compact for work related pics and Samuel pulled out the F50. Wow the pics taken indoor were great.

Last edited:
I have a Canon PS A610. Quite old model liao...but its good. While its not those compact camera..it give me a good hold, got enough manual settings which was good when i first brought it for learning. esp love the flip out LCD. now that camera is always been used by my wife...and for someone who usually dont like all those complicated camera...she sure love this camera.

Think the new model now got OIS.

Fuji has one of the better compact cams. Which model were you toying with and what're the settings? Your zooming into the image is it on the cam's display or via your home PC?

If i were u, i just for for the G9 or S5 and I will be a happy snapper. :)

If fuji cameras show grainy results, you can forget other brands.

Wow, seems like Fuji wins hand-down... I was trying out the F100 and F50, they are having a promotional booth in IMM, I zoomed into the images with the camera's LCD screen and find that the images were grainy on max zoom.... Maybe it's the settings on the camera, think i will go to a proper camera shop and try out the various models! :eek:

Wow, seems like Fuji wins hand-down... I was trying out the F100 and F50, they are having a promotional booth in IMM, I zoomed into the images with the camera's LCD screen and find that the images were grainy on max zoom.... Maybe it's the settings on the camera, think i will go to a proper camera shop and try out the various models! :eek:

the LCD of most cameras at maximum zoom when playback is not accurate. don't trust what you see on the LCD screen.

if possible bring your own SD card and record down some photos with it and bring home and check on your computer or laptop screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.