Recommendation for belt system?

blurry80

Jul 23, 2007
Toa Payoh
www.flickr.com
Can anyone advise me a belt system that does the following.

1.) 2 pouches to hold 1 lens each, should be design for security and easy lens changing.
2.) Able to store 1 body(without lens mount)
3.) 1 more pouch to hold external flash.

Should be optimised for whole day wearing and slim profile.

I was looking at some think tank stuff thought its pretty gd.

1.) 2 pouches to hold 1 lens each, should be design for security and easy lens changing.

yup, u looking at the right brands for you need,

giving u more option Kata also has a belt system, do check their webbie out...

but i recommend Thinktank.

most belt systems are modular one, so whatever you want to put also can, as long as there is space around your waist to put more. (Fat ppl got advantage =P)

i using the thinktank skin chimp cage for my day to day shooting. coupled with my bling bling D&G fakie belt.

should i get harness or belt? hmm i dont really know the difference

Harness will usually include some shoulder straps like so,

Pixel-Racing-Harness-V20-1.jpg

ic.. is the skin series or lens changer series better? does the skin series have its own raincoat?

Those of you who use the Holster + Belt pro, how do you guys move around with all that gear sticking out around you? Go MRT and bus all that got issue sitting down and stuff?

Those of you who use the Holster + Belt pro, how do you guys move around with all that gear sticking out around you? Go MRT and bus all that got issue sitting down and stuff?

I take off the belt with the gear still hanging off it and sling over my shoulder.

ic.. is the skin series or lens changer series better? does the skin series have its own raincoat?

thinktank product comes with raincoat, even the skin series....:)

just take it out and sling it across, or just put it on the lap when sitting down,....:)

I use thinktank speed freak :thumbsup:

So far no regrets. Great for mobility and storage. Keeps body with mounted lens, and 2 additional lenses. Also option to keep flash unit (inside its protective casing) but this has to be outside the zipped compartment. So bear this in mind if the weather becomes unfriendly. Rain cover comes with it.

When i need to change lenses, suck that stomach in... and swivel the pack around on your waist!

One reason I needed something like this was so i can bend over without the bag falling off my shoulders... and also to catch my boy when he runs into trouble!

As for the pouches, I do know you can attach it on. But I havent explored that yet.

Last edited:

Reccomend thinktank modular. I'm a user myself :).

My needs at the moment are same as yours.

My setup:

2 modular pouches (LC50, LC35)

1 skin lightning fast

1 skin chim cage (I think this is better because it has pop down feature also)

Reccomend thinktank modular. I'm a user myself :).

My needs at the moment are same as yours.

My setup:

2 modular pouches (LC50, LC35)

1 skin lightning fast

1 skin chim cage (I think this is better because it has pop down feature also)

Interesting didnt know the cage can pop down.
How much was the total damage. Seems like 5 items in all from here.

I was in your shoes a couple months back... was planning for a backpacking trip to Guilin, China and I narrowed-down to belt system.

With all items in my siggie, I bought:
1x Pro Speedbelt
1x Skin Chimp Cage
1x Skin Strobe
1x Skin Double-Wide
2x Skin 50
1x Pixel Racing Harness

Initially I did not get the Harness... but oh boy, after half a day of testing (at Chinese Garden) makes me feel as if my waist is going to break into halves! Quickly went to TK Photo and got the Harness the next day hahaha. During my trip to China, I even hang a 1.5 litre water bottle, and my Gitzo 1541T tripod on the belt via metal clips. I used this setup for 2 weeks in China, and to be frank I was extremely pleased with it as this whole setup frees both my arms. If you carry heavy stuff, you definitely need the Harness.

By the way Thinktank has 2 types of belt components: the Skin series and the Modular series... the modular series are slightly more expensive than the Skin series as it offers good padding. The Skin series... just a very thin layer of fabric; offers no protection at all but it's slim profile attracts me. I tried the Modular series at TK Photo, but it made me look like a terrorist (with grenades hanging off my waist... :dunno: ).

For me I just unbuckle my belt, remove the whole belt system and carry the harness. When travel, just put it on the floor. Most, if not all Skin pouches have their raincoats hidden at the bottom of the pouch, so it acts as "padding" when you put the pouch on hard surface.