Recommendation for beginners

Status
Not open for further replies.
son of 13mths... i suppose u need at least a DSLR to prevent missing unforgetable moments.. that is my experience at least... PNS shutter lag will cause u to take pic of what u dnt intent to shot, n in the mean time lost what u intend to shot... i have both a pns n DSLR, both is necessary, as u cant bring DSLR to a pool... ppl will think i am crazy.... there is alot of waterproof bags for PNS, and even take under water shot at less than 50 bucks...

if u intend to hold on to it long, dnt buy used, i am all the while against buying used... all the best in ur search...

what wrong with buying used?

i dun mind spending more on a quality one. budget is not exactly a problem. just want the price to b the lowest for my needs.

i have a underwater compact which can capture good moments under the water. love it to the max. but on ground.. is abit... less satisfying.

any brands of DSLR with a budget of ur choice will just do the job... cos u need speed in the focus n the shots... i am really amaze with what a DSLR can do now compared to 5-6yrs ago... i love nikon, but all my cameras is from canon... i find canon more afforable spec for spec... but that is just me...

i dun mind spending more on a quality one. budget is not exactly a problem. just want the price to b the lowest for my needs.

i have a underwater compact which can capture good moments under the water. love it to the max. but on ground.. is abit... less satisfying.

I'm more familiar with Nikon gear, so will put forth my recommendation for a Nikon product and let the rest also recommend other models. This will form your shortlist, and you can do some more research on them at your own pace.

For about $800, you could get a used Nikon D80 with either the 18-135mm lens (standard D80 kit), or with the 18-55mm lens (non-standard - maybe cheaper).
You can consider adding on a 50mm f/1.8 lens and an SB400 speedlight (can also be 2nd hand to save some cost). That might do the trick! :)
The SB400 is the cheapest Nikon flash available. It is small and compact, but has some limitations on power, angle, etc.
If you can live with them, it's a handy flash to have.

Last edited:
I'm more familiar with Nikon gear, so will put forth my recommendation for a Nikon product and let the rest also recommend other models. This will form your shortlist, and you can do some more research on them at your own pace.

For about $800, you could get a used Nikon D80 with either the 18-135mm lens (standard D80 kit), or with the 18-55mm lens (non-standard - maybe cheaper).
You can consider adding on a 50mm f/1.8 lens and an SB400 speedlight (can also be 2nd hand to save some cost). That might do the trick! :)
The SB400 is the cheapest Nikon flash available. It is small and compact, but has some limitations on power, angle, etc.
Would that be a 2nd-hand D80? Or new?

Just to chip in, you also hoave to consider other aspects of the brand that you are looking into. for eg, Nikon good lenses are gooooooooooooooooooooooooddddddddd. but dam ex also. you get what you pay for :sweat:

Personally, I'm not pro and I'm still studying so i cant afford to get those fantastic lenses so i went with pentax. I dont mean that pentax is not good ; in fact, i love my pentax!! its just that, the top lenses in Pentax's range are no where near the pricing of Nikon or the other brands's top lenses. Once again, this does not mean that Pentax top lenses are not good. In fact, my DA*50-135 blew me away when I first used it. Very professional and sharp and contrasty :thumbsup: .

Long story short, you have to consider the systems you are buying into as well. Some may have better macro lenses, telephoto so on so forth so you gotta research. Esp if you are in this for the long haul :bsmilie:

dont forget to set some $$ aside for filters and dry cabi ;)

Oh yeah. for Pentax, IIRC the K-m, K200d (if you can find one (I'm using this ) should be within your budget. :)

Last edited:
Would like to get a camera for self use but as a beginner i know nuthing abt SLR/DSLR. Looking for something easy to handle and cheap. Thanks for the advise in advance. *bow*

"hi, i would like to eat lunch today but i do not know what to eat.

looking for something i would like to eat.

thanks for the advise in advance."

there is definately a need to learn of coz. getting a "correct" DSLR is only the first step for my On Job Training. there are more question to come after i have search for the right one. =)

There is no 'correct' one. Check the websites of the brands, see what are the entry level cameras. You can't go wrong in this range. Note down the models. Then go and read reviews and comparisons (e.g. dpreview) to get more information. You will come across a lot of technical terms. Check with Google and Wikipedia about the details. Next, go to the showrooms and get literally in touch with the cameras. Decide what feels good, what is easy to operate in terms of menu, buttons etc. Let your hands and gut feeling decide.
Once you have specific questions we can help you much better. But the question "Which camera to take" cannot be answered reasonably here. Without knowledge any entry level cam can do, with enough knowledge you don't need to ask anymore ;)

ZerocoolAstra said:

sgstvoy said:
Would that be a 2nd-hand D80? Or new?

Hope that answers your question! :)

actually i am looking ard see is there anything below 800 bucks.

ok.. basically i am just fasinated by photos taken by frens. i have no idea how to describe wat am i look for. i just love the focusing and the colours and the brightness of those photos. and I have a son of 13 mths and mainly he will b my model. some frens did recomment me G10 and LX3. Just wanna find out more for now.

Your friends recommendation of Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 is good. Go check out the review. I am fasinated :thumbsup: by the photos taken with it and as well as the Leica version (but Leica is way abt your budget)

Status
Not open for further replies.