Recommendation for a good portrait type of lens?

TwisterMadSlayer

Jun 30, 2009
Hi! I would love to know what's the best lens to shoot portrait photos like magazine shots or for wedding photography. Thanks! :)

There is no best. You need to know what you want to shoot..lighting etc.
Usually those fast prime will come in handy. If not the 70-200. Use the search function..there are loads of thread already.

depending on number of ppl, size of area, size of backdrop, even the effect you want (distortion or compression).

common ones are 50mm, 85mm, 105mm, 70-200mm.

85mm with a nice Leaf digital back.

Btw... what is TS camera brand?

Anyway, you can shoot good portrait photos even with kit lenses...

50mm 1.4

you will get different answers from different people. Different people have different preference, so it's hard to say which is the best.

Some people like quality background blur so they go for good prime lens

some people like their background to be clear too (when going on scenic locations), so no point investing in fast lenses

some people don't mind changing lenses, so they use prime lenses

but some think it's troublesome, so they like zoom lenses

Hmmm. I'm holding a 7D camera. So let's say if i want to achieve a 50mm picture, i must use a 35mm lens right? Then it will be equiv to at least 52mm. Correct me if i'm wrong. >.<

And another thing is wide angle lens for landscape photography. Which do you all think is suitable?

Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5
Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM
Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF)
Tamron SP AF 11-18mm F/4.5-5.6 Di II LD Aspherical (IF)

35mm on crop frame is about 50mm on full frame only on term of framing, not compression.

Same goes for wide angles, it all depends how wide u need n how much disrortion can u take. No best lens

So if i want a 50mm picture shot, i use a 50mm or a 35mm lens?

this is a guideline only.

35mm - 50mm = full body

85mm = full | 3/4 | half body

135mm - 200mm = full (only for full frame - using crop, u had to stand real far far away!) | half body | head shot

If i'm going for a half body and 3/4 body shot?

magazine=kit lens+ stop down+ well positioned lighting.

wedding=fisheye+24/35mm+85mm

I recommend 35 and 50mm. Coz TS is on 1.6 crop.