Recommendation for a first time DSLR buyer.

Which DSLR would you guys choose

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ignatius Yen

Dec 13, 2011
Singapore
I have been considering a 60D as reviews of it were pretty good and if I was to upgrade it would be a jump to FF. However the 600D it would mean the 7D then FF jump which ultimately would cost more IMO. However my budget is about $1600 so can't get the D7000 :( Many people would recommend the 600D however many reviews find the 60D more solid in the hands which IMO would be a better thing to my style as I'm pretty much clumsy with light stuff. However due to my budget I have also been considering the D5100 or the D90. Once I have the $1600 gonna go down and molest the camera sets :p I'm a student so yeah no random purchases. And I'm also planning to get a 50mm or a 35mm lens. I have something against 2nd Hand Stuff due to a incident in a previous hobby which left me like wary of 2nd purchases although there are some pretty good deals in the forum :p Opinions would be greatly appreciated :) Been considering the Mirrorless camera though, however due to my clumsy hands I don't think I should.

Anyone knows is the MS Photo 60D EFs 18-135 deal still on?

Greatly appreciate you guys comments and opinions.

Sorry for any grammatical or spelling errors.

Anything that fits your budget and satisfy your heart's needs is good. Don't worry about anything else and molest all those sets all you want. Just take the one you feel most comfortable with.

With current technology, you can't go wrong with any of the above listed.

Btw, calling the shops will give you the answer immediately.

Last edited:
Please read the FAQ we have stickied called "What DSLR to get?". Quite frankly I'd prefer a K-5 or an A65 with that budget. For mirrorless I'd go with a NEX 5.

The cameras I'd recommend the least is the 600D and the D5100- you get the least features for your $$$.

so.. u r buying one based on other people's choice? :hung:

Firstly, going FF need not be the ultimate goal, and the "600D it would mean the 7D then FF jump" sequence need not be fixed.

If once you have enough money, you can go straight to FF if you think it's necessary. Or if the 7D is good enough, then going FF isn't necessary.

If you are satisfied with the 60D, then FF isn't necessary anymore.

IMO, both the 60D & 7D are awesome cameras, so go ahead with your first camera, experiment with it and you'll definitely know what you need(or don't need)

Have fun choosing your first camera....

quite ridiculous to buy what others would like to use rather than what you yourself would like to use. tsk tsk.

btw, you've listed a variety of cameras. what is it that you would like to shoot? if all you're looking for is a camera to tote around, just get a micro four-thirds or the sony NEX.

I have something against 2nd Hand Stuff due to a incident in a previous hobby which left me like wary of 2nd purchases although there are some pretty good deals in the forum :p Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Digital cameras get obsolete very quickly. So you should look for second hand here. Technology has improved tremendously so just get one that has been launched within the last 1-2 years.

You ask about opinions about your first DSLR and you talk about 'upgrade to FF'? Quite pointless, to be frank. Get started and see how your hobby develops, without thinking about potential upgrade paths and other blabber. You might find yourself quickly in a certain direction where the question of FF is irrelevant. (It's hardly relevant for many hobby photographers anyway, but only a few would admit...) Also, we have a sticky thread for such topics, have you read and considered it?
Information about certain deals can be found in the Price Guide, including the shop's contact details for a quick phone call. MS Colour also has the e-quote option.

?

it's true 60D has better build quality than 600D, but that doesn't mean it's unbreakable. regardless which DSLR, you will still get heart attack if it falls off.

i'd say go with 600D, and use the remaining cash for something else.

Just get the one within budget and feel most comfortable in your hands.. Since you dosent know what you want and need. Getting one and only by using it long enough you might/will slowly know what you need and want.. All are more or less same and do the same thing..capture light to create photos.

No need to wait for your money la. Go molest some cameras first, then come back and let us know what you think! :bsmilie:

Btw, D5100 is too small and light (for me at least), so probably not for you. Nonetheless, you need to get a feel of it first before you decide. :)

If you really really want a solid camera in your hands that feels like its built to be a tank. Go for magnesium alloy body cameras. 60D, 600D, D5100 etc are all plastic... be it tougher plastic or what its still plastic.

I got my K-5 and so far it never fails to impress people who holds them. It feels darn solid.

But of course there are other factors you have to consider besides the built. :)

I have been considering a 60D as reviews of it were pretty good and if I was to upgrade it would be a jump to FF. However the 600D it would mean the 7D then FF jump which ultimately would cost more IMO. However my budget is about $1600 so can't get the D7000 :( Many people would recommend the 600D however many reviews find the 60D more solid in the hands which IMO would be a better thing to my style as I'm pretty much clumsy with light stuff. However due to my budget I have also been considering the D5100 or the D90. Once I have the $1600 gonna go down and molest the camera sets :p I'm a student so yeah no random purchases. And I'm also planning to get a 50mm or a 35mm lens. I have something against 2nd Hand Stuff due to a incident in a previous hobby which left me like wary of 2nd purchases although there are some pretty good deals in the forum :p Opinions would be greatly appreciated :) Been considering the Mirrorless camera though, however due to my clumsy hands I don't think I should.

other than the dslr and the kit lens itself
you need to consider
you might need the following
1.tripod
2.speedlite
3.bag
4.lens cleaning kit
5.extra battery
6.lens filter
7.dry cabinet/dry box

and etc that i may missed out

Last edited:
Ignatius Yen said:

Why Canon?

There is no absolute need to move to FF and certainly no need to move from lower end APS-C model to next higher one then to FF.
It all depends on needs and budget.

A Pentax K5 is weather seal with a full magnesium alloy body and on camera shake reduction for only $1220.
With the best APS-C sensor performance to date based on DXOMark.
DxOMark - Pentax K-5

and DPR best camera in its class for 2011.
Pentax K-5 Review: 21. Conclusion & Samples: Digital Photography Review

Less encumbering as its the smallest sized APS-C DSLR in its class too.
Compare camera dimensions side by side

So there are many other good cameras out there for that $1600 budget.

For m4/3 cameras, you listed EP3, but there is EPL3 too, which is better value proposition for almost the same camera. Then there is Panasonic with its GH2 and G3 which have a built in EVf and new 16mp sensor.

I suggest you broaden you search to more models and brands.
There really isn't a bad camera nowadays.
The only thing to note are camera value proposition, features, handling (which usually can get used to), special requirements (small; adapters; etc)

Last edited:
depends on what u shoot mainly.

Like to shoot casual family shots, street shots, tour shots.
Go light and small. something like a m4/3 system - GX1/ep3. you will be happy to know that you can really shoot alot more with these types of small cameras more than your dslr as you will be carrying them around more than your dslr..
NEX system will do fine as well, and either types of system can mount a ridiculously wide variety of lenses via adaptors..

Like to shoot micro/insects etc.. , need telephoto lenses, AF speed(although some m4/3 cams are damned fast though), gunner style shoot 100 to get 1 shot.
Go DSLR, probably a canon system is a good way to start cos in the past i used nikon, although i really like it , the lenses overall are not much cheaper than canon's IMO of course. but there are alot alot of old manual lenses for nikon. so all depends.. iirc d5100 does not have motor inbuilt , right? i remember only d90/d7000 have motor to AF D type lenses.
So a Canon 60D/600D either one is good choice (saving some $ for your L lenses if you buy 600D, which i always feel that lenses are more impt than the body) i rather have a non full frame cam + a pro grade lens than over a full frame cam + an entry level lens.. for dslr i would say 600D/60D/d7000 right now is a great choice.

For your budget i wont recommend anything else like digital rangefinders.. as they are definetely out of your budget haha as much as i want to intro you.

as usual, its your own choice and should think about spending so much $ in a system (interchangeable lenses), would mean that you would need to spend even more on it next time in the future..

depends on what u shoot mainly.

Like to shoot casual family shots, street shots, tour shots.
Go light and small. something like a m4/3 system - GX1/ep3. you will be happy to know that you can really shoot alot more with these types of small cameras more than your dslr as you will be carrying them around more than your dslr..
NEX system will do fine as well, and either types of system can mount a ridiculously wide variety of lenses via adaptors..

Like to shoot micro/insects etc.. , need telephoto lenses, AF speed(although some m4/3 cams are damned fast though), gunner style shoot 100 to get 1 shot.
Go DSLR, probably a canon system is a good way to start cos in the past i used nikon, although i really like it , the lenses overall are not much cheaper than canon's IMO of course. but there are alot alot of old manual lenses for nikon. so all depends.. iirc d5100 does not have motor inbuilt , right? i remember only d90/d7000 have motor to AF D type lenses.
So a Canon 60D/600D either one is good choice (saving some $ for your L lenses if you buy 600D, which i always feel that lenses are more impt than the body) i rather have a non full frame cam + a pro grade lens than over a full frame cam + an entry level lens.. for dslr i would say 600D/60D/d7000 right now is a great choice.

For your budget i wont recommend anything else like digital rangefinders.. as they are definetely out of your budget haha as much as i want to intro you.

as usual, its your own choice and should think about spending so much $ in a system (interchangeable lenses), would mean that you would need to spend even more on it next time in the future..

I went thru the same decision making on digital cameras a few years back, and back then, have absolutely no idea what others meant even when i asked the questions on what camera to get. Went thru the entire cycle of getting a DSLR with some lenses, lugging it all over the place, and finally realising that that all i wanted is a small competent camera i can bring out on tours and for street shots. Finally ended up with a m43 mirrorless with 1 fast prime lenses mounted after buying and using few cameras and knowing what i really wanted.

It's always good to know what you want XD

That said, I don't understand why you can't go from 600d to lol. There's really no progression route that you must take, but rather what you need and what you want. If you have enough cash, and want ff, might as well get it from the get go.

Bro... none of us know how to you define light stuff... because a 600D is not exactly light to many people... yet to others, they are featherlike. Next... your camera (be it a 60D, a 600D or a 5100D... or heck, even the old 1000D) is stronger than you think... A few bumps and knocks will not damage it... or render them unusable.

The main thing about getting a DSLR, is that you would first have to ask yourself what you intend to shoot... what is the genre you much prefer... and from there you would need to ask yourself what type of features that you must have in your camera... only then could you shortlist the brands of camera that came with these features.

Then it would only be a matter of going to the shop and test out these brands of camera. Feel them, hold them and look through their menus. Forget about people telling you which brands had more features than what ever brands you had shortlist. Having more features doesn't make that camera a better camera. Anyway, at this time of the days, all cameras function as they are designed, and all of them are good. You would have to ask yourself which one suits you best.

When you hold these cameras remember to pay special attention to,

1) Ergonomic - design of the grips (or lack of one), button placements, dials placement, etc.
2) User menu interface - does the menu make sense to you
3) overall outlook of the camera - to your liking... many cameras had excellent on paper spec, but I just don't like their appearance (call me vain.)

Also don't trust anyone telling you to get a camera that most of your friends, colleagues or whatever had, so you can borrow lens from them, those are just bull. Nobody will lend you lenses willingly... at least I know I would not be lending my lenses to other people without myself being present and supervising the thing. And all camera's terminology was the same, so there really is no need for you to own the same brand of camera for your friends to advice you on aperture, ISO, shutter speed, etc etc... basic functions wise, well... you can get those from your manual so no problem at all.

Hope this help.