Recommendation for a fast Lens (f2 and faster) for EOS cameras...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canonized

Dec 31, 2005
PLANET EARTH
I have been having problems with low light of late and considering buying fast primes (f2 and faster). Unfortunately, there are a lot out there (inc both Canon and non Canon lenses) and I am hoping that members here can advise on the fast lens they have and whether they are well worth the money.

e.g. I understand Sigma has a 30mm f1.4. I have a 50mm f1.8 and very happy with it so the 1.4 version is currently redundant. Considering the lens I have, what Prime glass do you suggest? Thanks in advance.

85/1.8, 135/2L. 24/1.4L is pretty decent on a 1.6x body too.

EF 135 F2.0L
EF 85 F1.8
EF 85 F1.2L
EF 50 1.0L (That is if u still can find it. I recall John 3:16 has 1 box if it in store. It could be just a box, but then again, it could be a box with the actual lens in it)
EF 35 F1.4L

35mm f2
50mm f1.4
85mm f1.8

All the above lenses are between $430 and $650

The Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is tooo sharp imo. ;) Top marks for center sharpness wide open, however it does have some softness in the corners.

Did a comparision to the 50mm f/1.8 and it was like looking through murky water with the canon.

Tak your time to find a good copy, as some has displayed focusing issues wide open at infinity.

The 85 1.2L's focusing is a little slow .. do correct me if i'm wrong :embrass:

dEthANGeL said:
The 85 1.2L's focusing is a little slow .. do correct me if i'm wrong :embrass:

yea its slow.. way too much glass to move.. alot of threads about this in fm .. rumours of a mark II coming out with the 20D replacement :dunno:

i have the 50mm 1.8 and just bought the 85mm 1.8 ..

really depends on what you shoot.. the 50mm is kinda long on a 1.6x body but its perfect for when i shoot basketball.. too long for indoor everyday shots ..

IMG_2458.jpg

IMG_2468.jpg

some examples of the 85mm 1.8 @ f 2.8 .. really sharp and fast focusing.. more shots at my thread in reportage and sports sub forum if you want to see.

I can recommend the 135mm f/2L. It's at the edge of your limit (f/2), but is a stunning lens. :thumbsup:

I've heard some mention that the 135mm f/2L is the king of bokeh. It's the lens I would get if someone gave me some money and told me to spend it all on a lens that's f/2 or faster. Of course, the 200mm f/1.8 would be interesting. Or the 50mm f/1.0, but they cost a heap, and I don't think you should bother with them. Consider what focal length you will need. Don't buy something and then find out it's too short or too long.

Selling them 2nd hand and looking for the lens you truly need is an expensive exercise. A person stands to throw away $200 or more everytime this is done on more costly lenses.

Most importantly, what kind of prime are you looking at? Wide-angle or telephoto? The recommendations so far cover the entire range... but I suspect you probably have a subject/theme in mind when you decide to buy a new prime.

Paiseh... ride on your thread.

I'm lookin for fast WA.

Any recommendations? How's canon's 24/1.4 vs 35/1.4?

CYRN said:
Paiseh... ride on your thread.

I'm lookin for fast WA.

Any recommendations? How's canon's 24/1.4 vs 35/1.4?

Perhaps you might have read them already, but here are some reviews that might be of interest to you:

24mm f/1.4 L

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-24mm-f-1.4-L-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/canon_24_14/index.htm

35mm f/1.4 L

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-35mm-f-1.4-L-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

Either of them would be awesomely expensive though, and probably only truely wide on a full-frame DSLR or film camera.

fWord said:
Either of them would be awesomely expensive though, and probably only truely wide on a full-frame DSLR or film camera.

Thanks.

Yes, I've gone thru the sites already, I'm actually seeking personal opinons from CSers.

Currently, I've 50mm 1.4. While I find it useful and have beautiful bokeh, it's a little too long for my liking.

CYRN said:
Thanks.

Yes, I've gone thru the sites already, I'm actually seeking personal opinons from CSers.

Currently, I've 50mm 1.4. While I find it useful and have beautiful bokeh, it's a little too long for my liking.

I see...well, both of these lenses are out of the way for me at this time. The only 'wide angle' prime I've ever seriously considered was the 28mm f/2.8, because it wasn't too costly, and it actually became close to a normal lens on a 350D.

For the same reasons as yours, I've avoided buying even the 50mm f/1.8, though I was keen to use it for walkaround night photography in the past. Nowadays I just stick to the kit lens. If I were more into portraits, the 50mm prime might have found a space in my bag though.

EF 200mm f1.8 USM L :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.