Recommendation for a camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

TseKaye

Aug 15, 2005
Hi, I've just chanced upon this website and wowee blown away by the hugh wealth of information (which I intend to slowly ply through).

But in the meantime, would be grateful if you experienced folks could help me out. I was given an Olympus SLR C5050 and have no idea how to use it. Its extremely frustrating because it too sophisticated for me. I would just like an idiot proof camera to take clear shots of my baby and my toddler.

Kids run around and will not stop to pose so I need something with fast startup time, shortest time between shots and fast focusing. I'm tempted to get the Casio Z750, any comments on it? And/or any recs?

Many many TIA!!!

gave me that camera...i'll trade my a510 for it :)
..seriously that camera u owned currently is the best and the last of it kind in the 5 megpix prosumer range..
just shoot it in [P]rofessional mode
and read the menu..it worth the time spent

well, u can start by using it more often. get urself familiar w/ d camera's layout (so less likely 2 press wrong button).

i've nv owned tt cam but ttz how i familiarize myself w/ my current cam (film SLR). its not 2 heavy or bulky so jus bring it along on weekends whereever u go? if u use it moderately u'll find urself more competent in handling it, naturely u'll get more successful pics.

giv urself some time estimate 4mths at least if ur a biginner. wen i 1st started out i took 6mths jus 2 get my basics rite, cos i was using film. w/ digital u'll b able 2 speed up ur learning curve. u dun hav 2 wait 4 prints!;)

ur cam slow, or is it u?? hahaa... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

kidding, kidding...

c5050 is a v good camera, with fast lens that could better freeze the subjects. Just set it to
1. burst mode
2. full time af
and see if the speed is still acceptable to you. In terms of capability, the c5050 can take excellent nightshots, portraits, etc compared to the casio you mentioned. c5050 beats that casio flat out, unless you need a fast focusing camera like the casio and nothing else.
For me I'd not waste the $ for a chicken wing, when you've already have drumstick.
BTW, c5050 is best in P mode (to snag fast moving kids, review 1 and 2). I own the c2040 3040 (both 5+yrs old), 5050 models but my 5050 went kaput, thinking of it makes me want to cry... sob sob lol

Use rechargeable CR-V3 for your C-5050. Last really long time.

That's a good camera or that's what a lot of people say.

If the speed still doesn;t satisfy you, the $500+ 5megapixel Point & Shoot digicam from SONY (Sorry, can't remember model no) does focus and shoot slightly faster than many others ... say the Lumix FZ series or the Canon IXUS cameras. Just my 2 cents from my limited experience with P&S digicams.

thanks everyone for your comments and advice. i'm convinced - first on my resolution list is to try and learn how to use it.

dennisc - please may i know how to set it to 'burst mode'? many tia!

u need to realise that cameras broadly fall into 4 classes:

1. film slr
2. digital slr
3. digicams
4. prosumer digicams

what u are holding on to now is belongs to class4. to capture fast moving subjects properly, u need to use SLRs (class 1 and 2). but u can make compromises to shooting technique so that u can still use your given camera to capture moving subjects

The C5050 is a very good camera, given its max aperture f1.8 can be use in low light situation. I have been using the Olympus C5060 and I would say it is also very good too. Try to practice, practice and practice your shooting skill and composing.

On the Menu, camera, drive, af []]] <-- looks like this
af with a lot of boxes behind.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/c5050_pg4.html (they call it af sequential and af burst now)
U can capture a few frames. It's 3.3 frames per second! Just press away like a machine gun, it just takes and takes. now don't tell me that's not fast enough + f1.8 lens, if its still not fast enough just up iso to 200.

TseKaye said:
Hi, I've just chanced upon this website and wowee blown away by the hugh wealth of information (which I intend to slowly ply through).

But in the meantime, would be grateful if you experienced folks could help me out. I was given an Olympus SLR C5050 and have no idea how to use it. Its extremely frustrating because it too sophisticated for me. I would just like an idiot proof camera to take clear shots of my baby and my toddler.

Kids run around and will not stop to pose so I need something with fast startup time, shortest time between shots and fast focusing. I'm tempted to get the Casio Z750, any comments on it? And/or any recs?

Many many TIA!!!

get a easy to read book called "how to photograph your life" by Nick Kelsh who uses olympus c4040 of his wife for that book examples.

Teach you how to shoot at your child birthday party / first day at school etc.:thumbsup:

this forum is really :thumbsup:, so many helpful people. thanks much!

oh dennisc, thats what you call 'burst mode' - how bad can i possibly be with this! that's certainly fast enough but the shots always come out black cos its taken with flash. how ah?

megaweb - ur shots are really nice, i'll be elated if i could achieve that.

thanks snowcrash - i'm off to get the book!

in burst mode, there shouldnt be any flash? It's too fast for flash anyway it's disabled hmm. Should work perfect for all daylight and some moderate night lighting like inside durian at night I shot some hair cutting performance and some street, exposure came out perfect and 9/10 there's no movement shake (quite suprising to me).

sorry i meant 'taken without flash'. all the photos come out black for shots taken in my living room. hahaha, can't even tell whether there's movement shake cos its all black.

black? u took it at night in a dimly lit room? since again i've tried moderately lit ones and it turns out perfect. unlikely to be black hmm i hate to say this but u prob have to turn up the iso if you've done it correctly and its black still.

Status
Not open for further replies.