Recommendation for 50mm prime lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebianos

Aug 23, 2005
Central Singapore
Hello fellow Pentaxian,

I'm an analogue pentaxian at the moment and am seriously confused with the FA, DA, SMC, WR terms used in describing lens.

Could anybody recommend a good and reasonable prime lens ? I'm looking at 50mm with aperture of F1.4 up. Either k-mount or m42 mount is good.

The criteria is.... hate to say this - good quality but resonably priced. Thanks in advance.

And i'd also like to thank flowerpot for his kindness, thanks man! :D

Save your money for a FA 50mm f/1.4. While older non-AF lenses are fine, but AF allows you to do things like shoot one-handed, exploit the usefulness of using LV, plus focus quite a lot faster.

Actually all the pentax 50mm are reasonably prices in their own context :D

You want real cheap and good get the 50/1.7 (any series)

If you want negligible cost (ie. ~$60-$70), then the 50/2 (any series)

I won't recommend a M42 takumar since the price delta between them and a 50/2 or 50/1.7 is too low to bother with an adapter.

Thanks Baracus, Creampuff, and Pinholecam... for the advice.

Just saw the 43mm limited SILVER edition courtesy of creampuff, i decided that you're absolutely too poisonous to be around. First the k-7 and now 43mm limited.

Love your photos :p

Oh yeah, the 43 is actually the perfect 50 (normal). In fact, out of the three modern normals, DA40, FA50 and FA43, i'll take the FA43.

Thanks Baracus, Creampuff, and Pinholecam... for the advice.

Just saw the 43mm limited SILVER edition courtesy of creampuff, i decided that you're absolutely too poisonous to be around. First the k-7 and now 43mm limited.

Love your photos :p

I managed to nullify the FA43 poison by selling it away to someone else, and he's now in love with it. :bsmilie: I preferred the M50/1.7 despite its lack of AF and lower contrast, but IQ difference is negligible. I'm a slow shooter anyway. But yeah, if you want the convenience of AF, go for the FA43 or FA50.

I'm an analogue pentaxian at the moment and am seriously confused with the FA, DA, SMC, WR terms used in describing lens.

FA = auto focus lens, image circle covers full frame
DA = auto focus lens for DSLR, image circle covers cropped sensors and will probably cause vignetting on full frame
SMC = super multi coat
WR = weather resistant

Are u going to use the 50mm on your spotmatic or for future upgrade?

Nah, don't listen to them. There is only one 50mm lens that's worth keeping. All the rest are just craps :devil:

LX_A5012_2.jpg

Hi Charlie, using it on a K1000 not on spotty unless it's screw mount. Got all excited looking at shinapple's bokeh shots. Future upgrade coming soon once i say bye bye to my Nikon. :p

Flowerpot, probably manual for now. I like to take my time taking photos using film slr. Auto when i've dslr... so probably get a crap 50/f2 to shoot for now.

Frank, 50/1.2 looks very very YUMMY!!! How is the dof at f1.2? I'm afraid will pull out my hair because dof is too shallow, and viewfinder will in-focus/out-focus just from breathing. hahaha

Wabbit - thanks for the explanation. :)

scorpioh and baracus - you guys are da bomb. One give poison, one give antidote. hehehe

Save your money for a FA 50mm f/1.4. While older non-AF lenses are fine, but AF allows you to do things like shoot one-handed, exploit the usefulness of using LV, plus focus quite a lot faster.

second this.

plus, as 50mm f/1.4 lenses go, pentax offering is not expensive. :)

Hi Charlie, using it on a K1000 not on spotty unless it's screw mount. Got all excited looking at shinapple's bokeh shots. Future upgrade coming soon once i say bye bye to my Nikon. :p

Oh i thought you are the one using the spotty, sorry i got mixed up.
Fengwei's 50mm 1.2 is way above my budget.
Go with the FA50! I have one too.:thumbsup:

Oh i thought you are the one using the spotty, sorry i got mixed up.
Fengwei's 50mm 1.2 is way above my budget.
Go with the FA50! I have one too.:thumbsup:

hahahaha.... I am the one with the spotty :p Considering the options for prime lenses first, must plan carefully before i'm left with a bunch of neither here nor there lenses.

Thanks nightmare - agree that the range for 50mm primes are very reasonable. Unless you're talking about the FA* 85-3000 in the other thread. :bsmilie:

I think it's alright having more than one 50mm! ;) Just different flavours of a great focal length.
For starters, I feel the FA50 1.4 would suit most general purposes, focusing ring is quite smooth for manual focus also.

I like the FA50mm 1.4...:)

but i like this slightly more...:D
IMGP6562.jpg

but but i also bought back a M50 too.:bsmilie:

Woo.. that's an absolutely beauty, that soft toy

How about another teddy... :bsmilie:
(Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f/1.4)

Nokton_teddy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.