Recommendation for 4 or 5 megapixel digicam

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielG

May 10, 2002
austvilleinsg.com
Ok, I'm thinking of getting a 4 or 5megapixel digicam with good optical zoom and lots of manual controls.

I'm considering either the Sony F707 or Minolta Dimage 7. How would the experts here compare these? Know about the battery and heat problem with D7. But Sony has smaller zoom and memory stick is expensive. Please give some advice.

How about Fuji S602, Olympus E-20N or Nikon Coolpix 5000? Also, which other models would you recommend?

Help most appreciated.

I've got a G2 (4 megapixel), it's pretty decent. Also nice and compact. The battery practically goes on forever, even with the LCD on.

Originally posted by DanielG
Ok, I'm thinking of getting a 4 or 5megapixel digicam with good optical zoom and lots of manual controls.

I'm considering either the Sony F707 or Minolta Dimage 7. How would the experts here compare these? Know about the battery and heat problem with D7. But Sony has smaller zoom and memory stick is expensive. Please give some advice.

How about Fuji S602, Olympus E-20N or Nikon Coolpix 5000? Also, which other models would you recommend?

Help most appreciated.

The Sony F707 wif its 5x zoom 5MP pix is ideal according to ur specs...cost abt $1.7K.

You may want to look at the Dimage 7i, Dimage 7 without the heat problem improve features, improved support with minolta accessories and can accept micro drives fro those huge 5mp photos...

Don't know about the price though.

For batteries, since it uses NiMh AA, it's inexpensive to stock up a few sets, but many shop keepers tend to over emphasize how short battery life is in these cams..... Just make sure you allow the batts to go through the charge-discharge cycles a few times.

Originally posted by Flare
You may want to look at the Dimage 7i, Dimage 7 without the heat problem improve features, improved support with minolta accessories and can accept micro drives fro those huge 5mp photos...
i agree with Flare... the Dimage 7i is a great 5mp digicam. i had a pre-production model to play with for a while and the handling is much better than the DSC707 (which i also play with, compliments of my company). :D

although the sony has more features, like the nightshot function, IMO the dimage 7i is a more serious "prosumer" cam.

Flare & firefox13, what's your experience with the battery life and heat problem on D7?

Is the Dimage 7i and Fujifilm S602 available yet?

Heard about the F707's dark left syndrome and Blue flash syndrome. Anyone can shed some light on what are these?

from what u have listed out
-Sony F707
-Minolta Dimage 7
-Fuji S602
-Olympus E-20N
-Nikon Coolpix 5000

if you have $ , go for Olympus E-20N

if you are looking for < $2k budget + good zoom factor , go for
-Sony F707
-Minolta Dimage 7

Originally posted by megaweb
from what u have listed out
-Sony F707
-Minolta Dimage 7
-Fuji S602
-Olympus E-20N
-Nikon Coolpix 5000

if you have $ , go for Olympus E-20N

if you are looking for < $2k budget + good zoom factor , go for
-Sony F707
-Minolta Dimage 7

Actually, my budget is < $2k. And I've narrow down to your recommendation too, including the Fuji S602. I've been reading the reviews of this S602 and quite like it, especially the VGA movie mode and dual storage. But quite strange that few people actually recommends it. What's the reason? Is it because of the SuperCCD interpolation? What's your take on that?

Originally posted by mpenza
because it's not launched yet and it's using a 3MP CCD.

But read that will be launched probably late June or so.

Read many different views on SuperCCD, some say good, some say bad... very confuse already. Anyone has comment on this?

Flare & firefox13, what's your experience with the battery life and heat problem on D7?

Is the Dimage 7i and Fujifilm S602 available yet?
well bearing in mind that the one i was playing with was a pre-prodn model, the battery life was pretty good... the camera came with the 1300 GP batteries and i could take a decent number of shots before it died. can't remember the exact number, but with average use, including some flash and large LCD use, about 100+ shots. heat problem was gone too, one of the main improvements of the 7i.

i've played with quite a few digicams before and i was quite impressed by the 7i. the handling and picture quality was outstanding. in fact the baby in my avatar photo was taken using the 7i.

i haven't personally seen the 7i on the shelves yet but i'm told it'll be sometime this month.

Had a chance to handle a D7. Find the construction very plastic. Feels very fragile. Hope the D7i has better construction.

Think I'll probably wait for the FujiS602 to be launch for better comparision.

Had a chance to handle a D7. Find the construction very plastic. Feels very fragile. Hope the D7i has better construction.

Think I'll probably wait for the FujiS602 to be launch for better comparision.

Yes and also please compare with Olym c4040z. I have compared and studied the market along with G2 and f707 and etc, i ended up with c4040z. Quite a good camera and quite compact at 4mp.

song

Status
Not open for further replies.