Recommendation & Advice needed for a new camera

Thanks for all the helps and replies! I gonna discuss with my friends and hopefully i can get mine tml. Right now I guess i am more sway to getting a Canon 1000D since i might upgrade my needs in the future :)

Just in case I am missing out something, besides the package (camera body, lens, SD, battery) and tripod, dry box, what other accessories I should get? Extra battery/memory card?

Last edited:
I duuno... Tripod i normally try to get something better rather than those they bundle with ...

Dry box get one that is powered one... try get one with digital controls... save u lots of effort..

Extra batt is good but u can get it later...

Get a UV filter... get one with coating... ard $30 will do

normally i dont get so much all together, fear shop will chop carrot head.. i get the camera+kit and UV lens only... the rest i go ard town or online to buy

I duuno... Tripod i normally try to get something better rather than those they bundle with ...

Dry box get one that is powered one... try get one with digital controls... save u lots of effort..

Extra batt is good but u can get it later...

Get a UV filter... get one with coating... ard $30 will do

normally i dont get so much all together, fear shop will chop carrot head.. i get the camera+kit and UV lens only... the rest i go ard town or online to buy

Erm.. what do u mean by UV filter? is it something like the LCD screen protector? And UV lens??

Oh I always thought dry box is like those box where u put drinks & ice to keep them cold lol. Is there any name or brand for the powered dry box? How much is it roughly and you know where i can get a good price?

Erm.. what do u mean by UV filter? is it something like the LCD screen protector? And UV lens??

Oh I always thought dry box is like those box where u put drinks & ice to keep them cold lol. Is there any name or brand for the powered dry box? How much is it roughly and you know where i can get a good price?

for prices u can look at http://www.reddotphoto.com.sg/ecommerce/ ... http://store.tagotech.com/

UV is that thing u add on infront of ur lens.. some ppl dont use it as it may effect ur photo... but if u are careless, better to hv it .. google it la, all info there

If base on your shorlisted cameras, I take the G11. But honestly, DSLR will give you the most flexibility. If possible, you can try the 2nd hand ones first @ B&S.

Rainez, suggest you don't rush in so quickly and part you your $1,000.

Spend more time reading up on compact, prosumer and DSLR.

Spend some time at Courts and Harvey Norman; try and have a feel of all the cameras.

Ask more questions before you make the plunge.

Rainez, suggest you don't rush in so quickly and part you your $1,000.

Spend more time reading up on compact, prosumer and DSLR.

Spend some time at Courts and Harvey Norman; try and have a feel of all the cameras.

Ask more questions before you make the plunge.

:thumbsup: +1

Best decisions are made when made slowly, with much thought.

If I am serious about taking very very good pics for large format printing, I will consider a DSLR, but not an entry level one like 1000D, D3000.

I will go for at least one of these models or higher: Canon 500D, Nikon D5000,Pentax K-x (strongest performer in the group), A500 (almost same with Pentax K-x but a bit more ex).

For compact prosumers, I will consider Panasonic LX3 and Canon G11. But my heart is always on the LX3. There is also another kind of prosumers called superzoom. The Fujifilm S200EXR, Panasonic FX28.. etc..

Last edited:
:thumbsup: +1

Best decisions are made when made slowly, with much thought.

If I am serious about taking very very good pics for large format printing, I will consider a DSLR, but not an entry level one like 1000D, D3000.

I will go for at least one of these models or higher: Canon 500D, Nikon D5000,Pentax K-x (strongest performer in the group), A500 (almost same with Pentax K-x but a bit more ex).

For compact prosumers, I will consider Panasonic LX3 and Canon G11. But my heart is always on the LX3. There is also another kind of prosumers called superzoom. The Fujifilm S200EXR, Panasonic FX28.. etc..

how big u want to print? 1000D and D3000 being the cheapest from C & N does not mean they are not able to perform as good as say , the popular 500D od 5000D ... the different btw these lowest end model and the next higher range ones are features such as high res LCD, Video recording, better high ISO, faster FPS etc... beside that, its pretty much a very capable body

how big u want to print? 1000D and D3000 being the cheapest from C & N does not mean they are not able to perform as good as say , the popular 500D od 5000D ... the different btw these lowest end model and the next higher range ones are features such as high res LCD, Video recording, better high ISO, faster FPS etc... beside that, its pretty much a very capable body

I'm not saying that the lowest end bodies are not capable.

I am just saying the TS should be better off with a higher end camera just for the sake of having more resolution. Well, he did mention "I am looking for high res photos so I can use/edit them in my design works" and he did mention he prints "minimum A3 size paper".

1000D/D3k to 500D/D5k is more than LCD, video and more features. Specs are different too. Just look at resolution, that alone will give TS more details to work with. And what about noise performance?

When dealing with a decision between D5k and D90, yes I agree to what you say. But lowest entry level now are all hovering around 10MP. moving a little up in pricing, you gain a lot more in terms of performance, apart from features.

For normal hobbyist and newbie photographer I will recommend entry level cameras like 1000D D3000 any day. But for TS's requirement, I still suggest he needs to step it up to meet his needs. If you have done any poster design or printing beyond A3 size, you will understand why I suggest that.

Last edited:
hv to say i never print anything before .. hahaha.. ok ok TS u better listen to daredevil here :p

anyway 10mp can print A3 or not?

hv to say i never print anything before .. hahaha.. ok ok TS u better listen to daredevil here :p

anyway 10mp can print A3 or not?

Can. but for TS he needs to do design work, meaning cropping, transforming expanding.. etc.. all kinds of stuff. More MP never hurts. And at large sizes, noise really shows, so noise performance needs to be good also.

Can. but for TS he needs to do design work, meaning cropping, transforming expanding.. etc.. all kinds of stuff. More MP never hurts. And at large sizes, noise really shows, so noise performance needs to be good also.

Thanks to daredevil's advice, I did notice there is really a big difference on image quality on the printed A3 papers. Also I forgot to add that the photos taken will be heavily used in digital painting / photo manipulation. So I guess I need a slightly higher end camera.

I did my research and is certainly sure I will be getting a SLR due to my design work. Went around checking alot of cameras in the shops today. Initially was getting the 1000D but my heart was sold when I saw the 500D :heart:

So... I guess I have made my 'final' decision in getting the Canon 500D. Due to its cheaper lens than nikon's and overall price cheaper than Pentax. Plus I can borrow lens from my frens too.

Thank you all bros out there for helping me out to my final decision! Gonna get it tomorrow!

Last edited:
Thanks to daredevil's advice, I did notice there is really a big difference on image quality on the printed A3 papers. Also I forgot to add that the photos taken will be heavily used in digital painting / photo manipulation. So I guess I need a slightly higher end camera.

I did my research and is certainly sure I will be getting a SLR due to my design work. Went around checking alot of cameras in the shops today. Initially was getting the 1000D but my heart was sold when I saw the 500D :heart:

So... I guess I have made my 'final' decision in getting the Canon 500D. Due to its cheaper lens than nikon's and overall price cheaper than Pentax. Plus I can borrow lens from my frens too.

Thank you all bros out there for helping me out to my final decision! Gonna get it tomorrow!

hey ts i want to complicate it more haha why not wait for canon 550D?canon's just announced and it's the newest model, more improvements from 500d, think difference is just 100$ not so sure lol

hey ts i want to complicate it more haha why not wait for canon 550D?canon's just announced and it's the newest model, more improvements from 500d, think difference is just 100$ not so sure lol

Wahhh why must u complicate things? haha :D i think its going to take some time to come but i cant wait anyway. Have to start shooting to work on my design cos of the due date. If the improvements are not that huge i will forgo it. Well unless u can convince me to wait... :)

Wahhh why must u complicate things? haha :D i think its going to take some time to come but i cant wait anyway. Have to start shooting to work on my design cos of the due date. If the improvements are not that huge i will forgo it. Well unless u can convince me to wait... :)

Improvements should be great as it is rumored that it will be using the 18MP sensor from the 7D.

Improvements should be great as it is rumored that it will be using the 18MP sensor from the 7D.

Then do you know when it will hit the shops? and the estimated cost?

If you are a lady, do a research on m4/3 cameras like Ep2 and GF1, compact with interchangeable lenses, but with DSLR quality and it fits within our budget. If you are a guy, go for DSLR, try not to get entry level cameras, you need to have more budget though.

Forget about G11 ;p;p

Thanks again for the overwhelming replies and helps! I got my Canon 500D! :D

If you are a lady, do a research on m4/3 cameras like Ep2 and GF1, compact with interchangeable lenses, but with DSLR quality and it fits within our budget. If you are a guy, go for DSLR, try not to get entry level cameras, you need to have more budget though.

Forget about G11 ;p;p

So why does gender matter for what kind of camera a person uses?

I've seen some girls and they take better pictures than 90% of the guys out there.