Recommendation a cheap SCSI card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaeSiuM

Dec 22, 2002
Singapore, Bedok
www.paintingmoments.com
Hi guys,

I was handed a HP Scanjet 6100C from my bro's friend and it uses the SCSI interface so I figured I'll go get a SCSI card but prices were kind of prohibitive.

So tell me that it's not wishful-thinking on my part and there is REALLY cheap and functional SCSI adapter cards. Prices at HWZ Guide are really :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Unfortunately, scsi's lost it's appeal in the home market thanks to USB2.0. If you're looking at the Adaptec brands in Hardwarezone, of course it's ex. Just go to SLS and hunt for brands like Domex, Iwill, Tekram. Or even 2nd hand ones. I think the 6100C uses scsi2. If you don't have the scsi cable from adapter to scanner, beware. Scsi cables can be quite ex too.

SCSI? lost out to USB2? haha, nice try :D

and no, there's no real "cheap" SCSI card, unless you manage to get an OEM card bundled for some corporate system "torn" out from liquidation sales... i got my adaptec 19160 for i think $200 back in 2001.. or was it $150?

try the 4th level of sim lim square. :)

Look around the backlane shops in Sim Lim Square, you might be able to get an OEM packed Adaptec 2930/2940-ish SCSI2 card for probably $100++ or less.

oops! missed the part about using for a scanner, thought it was meant for hard disks... apologies! :embrass:

dont-know-how many-hand adaptec 2940UWs has been sighted for as low as 60 dollars in Sim Lim Square... buy buy buy!

the external connector for the 2940UW should be a 50 pin SCSI2 interface, can't recall if it's SE or or LVD. i guess LVD wasn't released then, so it should be 8 bit SE. if you can, get the Centronics styled SCSI connection cable - some scanners have a dual connection of Centronics and 25 Mini D connector - always opt for Centronics style where you can, because it has proper ground wiring compared to only one (or a few, at best) for the Mini D.

questions?

http://sehsuan.clubsnap.org/html/scsifaq.html

shucks, i better dig out my Book of SCSI and start revising already, now i'm REALLY rusty... :bsmilie:

I got a tekram dc-315u from costronics last year. Think it was abt $40+. Forgot exactly how much it was, but the cable cost almost as much as the card.

thanks sehsuan and reno77. I know nuts about SCSI and just want a fuss-free installation of the scanner so I think I'll pass on the jargons jazzmataz.

Here's a picture of the cable that came with it, I know it's SCSI2 interface according to the specification but will this worked with the Tekram card mentioned by reno77?

scsi_cable.jpg

Thanks in advance! ;)

That connector to the right is a 25 pin SCSI connector. I don't think any 2940U or 2940UW SCSI card will have that connection.

I think you need an older SCSI card for that. :think:

Adiemus said:
That connector to the right is a 25 pin SCSI connector. I don't think any 2940U or 2940UW SCSI card will have that connection.

I think you need an older SCSI card for that. :think:

That's an uh-oh for me... haha :)

The input side 25pin is the same as what i'm using on my Tekram. It should work on yours also. I think the problem will be is finding the Tekram 315U, its already discontinued, its not listed on costronic's online price list.

here's the pitfalls:

i had then bought a 50pin High Density - 25 pin Mini D SCSI cable years ago for my then scanner - Agfa Snapscan 600. BIG MISTAKE. :p

and i got a cable that was too long, too. SCSI, Single End, only allows chains of up to 1.5m from either end in length. mine exceeded, and hit probably 2 meters, and i had intermittent hangs :p

later, to address the problem, i was using a diamond fireport 40 to control the scanner entirely, but then the card wasn't recognized by WinXP... so now? no more scanner :bheart:

also i must add in, the lack of software driver support for the scanner - last driver was issued in 1997!!! :cry:

Last yr i bot a HP NetRAID 4M PCI-X 128MB ECC Cache controller 64bit U640, Lithum ion battery that can hold data up to 2 weeks when plug out @$150 to power my linux workstation.
Is this one cheap? ;p :D

CaeSiuM said:
thanks sehsuan and reno77. I know nuts about SCSI and just want a fuss-free installation of the scanner so I think I'll pass on the jargons jazzmataz.

Here's a picture of the cable that came with it, I know it's SCSI2 interface according to the specification but will this worked with the Tekram card mentioned by reno77?

scsi_cable.jpg

Thanks in advance! ;)

looks like a parallel cable or printer cable

etgoh said:
looks like a parallel cable or printer cable

actually.... you're right too, it COULD be a regular printer cable! :p

best is to check out the pinout patterns for both the Mini D25 - Centronics and Parallel Printer cable to see if the ground cabling assignment matches or not. worst to worst... buy a new cable. but check for software support for the scanner first, otherwise buy already cannot use, will tui-sim one :p

the pins outs for a parallel cable and a SCSI cable are different.

and CaeSiuM .... sorry... can't find the 25 pin SCSI card. i might have sold it with my zip drive some time back. sorry... ;p

will keep a look out for you. am checking with a friend to see if he can give up his card.

Thanks for the trouble Adiemus. ;)

Let's just dismissed that this is a printer cable ok? It ISN'T. The Scanjet can only use the SCSI interface and nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.