Recommend what PC to buy and from which shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean you guys trust the half-past-six technicians to assemble your PCs? There was this once, I bought my parts from Fuwell. I went to the technician and asked him to test that the CPU, RAM and Mobo can power up. He said wait a while... so I went to walk around. When I came back, he assembled the whole thing for me. Then I told him I did not ask him to... but he said it's free of charge, so what's the big deal.

The big deal is:
1. He only screwed in the drives on the side that's visible to everyone.
2. He did not use the mobo insulation discs at the screws.
3. He lost the HDD warranty cards.

I had to undo all his shoddy work to reinstall everything. Also, I had to get my warranty cards replaced.

Fuwell is a respectable shop. Their parts are ok... but if you want things done right, you've got to do them yourself. There are so many things that can be done wrong... whcih will lead to future problems. I assemble my PCs with lots of care, and they almost always last me a very long time. My current PC has served me 6 years, and still going strong. :)

lol... i assemble my own systems la bro... but as far as i know the current technicians are quite ok. ;)

quite surprised to find so many of you recommending Dell...thought if the PC has problem, the nearest service centre is in Penang (or somewhere in M'sia)? Is the after-sales service good?

As mentioned, this 2nd PC will be mainly used for photo and video editing. Dell or HP? Not assembling my own cos not so PC-savvy leh :(

quite surprised to find so many of you recommending Dell...thought if the PC has problem, the nearest service centre is in Penang (or somewhere in M'sia)? Is the after-sales service good?

As mentioned, this 2nd PC will be mainly used for photo and video editing. Dell or HP? Not assembling my own cos not so PC-savvy leh :(

Dell provide on-site service. That is their biggest advantage.

Dell provide on-site service. That is their biggest advantage.

Yeap. No need to undo your wires, take a taxi which cost $$$$$ to SLS or Funan.

Dell comes to your home and fix it. They are ready for any changes including changing MOBO, PSU, RAM, HDD and almost anything that came with it.

TS, if you are a newbie getting DELL will be less pain if the computer does bring some problems. DIY Rigs is meant for advance users who knows how to tweak and tune to their needs. And it's not much cheaper.

If you just want a simple Photoshop to edit your photos and watch some videos plus surfing the internet, a Dell with 5 years on-site warranty with parts and 9-6 (Mon-Fri) telephone assistant will help you a lot.

I am not working for DELL. I own 3 DELLs already and so far not much of a problem for 7 years with it.

Dell factory plant where they assemble the computers is in Penang but their after sales service is given to third party vendor in Singapore but still using only Dell spare parts.

Yeap. No need to undo your wires, take a taxi which cost $$$$$ to SLS or Funan.

Dell comes to your home and fix it. They are ready for any changes including changing MOBO, PSU, RAM, HDD and almost anything that came with it.

TS, if you are a newbie getting DELL will be less pain if the computer does bring some problems. DIY Rigs is meant for advance users who knows how to tweak and tune to their needs. And it's not much cheaper.

If you just want a simple Photoshop to edit your photos and watch some videos plus surfing the internet, a Dell with 5 years on-site warranty with parts and 9-6 (Mon-Fri) telephone assistant will help you a lot.

I am not working for DELL. I own 3 DELLs already and so far not much of a problem for 7 years with it.

+1000000!!Dell is better for normal user.You can't beat the onsite service.

Thanks guys for your suggestions and reassurances. Am now looking at DELL's website for which model to buy...looks cheap but once you add this and that (e.g. more RAM) can add up to a bit...:sweat:

Thanks guys for your suggestions and reassurances. Am now looking at DELL's website for which model to buy...looks cheap but once you add this and that (e.g. more RAM) can add up to a bit...:sweat:

You don't really need to add so much things if it's not needed.

The essentials stuff like RAMs and Processor is the main CORE component which you still can upgrade with DELL on a later stage but upgrading it now will help a lot in terms of speed. Get a big HDD space so you have less worry but you still can put in more on later part as well.

My advice is at least a minimum RAM of 2GB and processor speed of 2.4-2.6 Ghz with Intel Core Duo. A HDD space of 500GB-750GB. Graphics and sound card just get a standard one if you are not a gamer. Keyboards and mouse comes standard as well.

The rest of the stuffs are not so necessary.

It will set you of around $2,500 for a decent system with 20 inch monitor.

Oh by the way, request DELL to change to XP Operating System instead of VISTA. Vista gives so much problem and it's always RAM hungry.

thanks Godzilla for the very specific advice, really helpful for newbie like me. Will bear in mind what you suggested with the Windows XP OS. Btw, what do you think of Quad Core Vs Dual Core?

thanks Godzilla for the very specific advice, really helpful for newbie like me. Will bear in mind what you suggested with the Windows XP OS. Btw, what do you think of Quad Core Vs Dual Core?

Haha.....!

Well as I mentioned earlier, the more you upgrade the more ex it will get. You don't really need a Quad (good for future usage or power user) unless you want to run multiple applications at the same time.

If you are using Photoshop CS3, watch DVD and surf internet, the specs that I mentioned is definately more than enough.

Depends on how much you are willing to spend. The most important you get at least a minimum of 3 years on-site help (Monday to Friday 9-6pm) plus 24/7 on call.

whether to get laptop or desktop, it depends on what you use the pc for.

let this video guide you: get a laptop

DIY Pc . Do some homework as SLS they will chop you. Know your prices well as you upgrade the product they will cheat you on the must top this prices. Walk around. For the package DIY make sure you are around as they will change the product to lower specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.