Recommend Travel Tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sphoenix

Looking for a travel tripod. Now I realise that this is to vague a term so here's some background.

- be small, pocketable? easy to store in a pouch?
- stable enough to hold an oly 2000 series digital camera
- stable enough in a breeze

Main thing is that my gf likes it, coz whilst she likes the digital camera, she certainly doesn't one to lug around a huge or heavy tripod. seen some mini extendable tripods, wonder whether those will be good enough?

She'll be going on a trip soon, so appreciate suggestions asap. thanks

Originally posted by Sphoenix
Looking for a travel tripod. Now I realise that this is to vague a term so here's some background.

Main thing is that my gf likes it, coz whilst she likes the digital camera, she certainly doesn't one to lug around a huge or heavy tripod. seen some mini extendable tripods, wonder whether those will be good enough?

Don't know if you can get it here, but this seems like a good travel tripod.

http://www.popphoto.com/Film/PrintArticle.asp?ArticleID=69

Regards
CK

Dunno abt the stable in a breeze part part but if ur gf wants small and pocketsize like me, she can either get the giotto ballpod which collapse up to a few inches or the ultrapod which doesn't collapse but comes with a velcro to tie to trees or lampposts for added supports. I've seen pictures of these guys supporting a G2 and I'll been using the ballpod to support my F601z for night shots. Their main advantage is that u can place them on flat surfaces like benches or mount them like machine gun supports on rounded or uneven surfaces like railings or even on your chest as a last resort. The main disadvantage i have so far is to look ard like a madman for something to support on :D.

u can check their pics at
Ballpod

Ultrapod

Try the Ultrapod II. Great stuff. Has velcro strap so as to turn it into a monopod or secure it over a railing. I have used it and it is great to have around. CP is selling for 30 bucks.

$30? I was quoted $40+ a few weeks ago. How secure is the velcro strap when u tie it ard a tree or railing?

Or if you want a tripod that has the height and also the portability, check out your neighbourhood photo shops for Tristar tripods. I have one that folds into 30cm-length and very compacted. Weighs less than 1kg. When fully extended it can go up to a typical chest height. The only gripe is the leg sections are flimsy and I don't know if it can take your 2100 in strong winds, but it managed to take my EOS300 with a 28-90mm lens at East Coast, and was quite stable.

It shouldn't cost more than $20+. Great tripod for portability.

Thanks for the replies guys. So in contention now we seem to have tristar and the ultrapod II :D

btw tweek, i'm using something like the oly 2040 and not the heavy duty oly 2100, so the tristar should be stable enough I hope.

cheers

btw tweek, i'm using something like the oly 2040 and not the heavy duty oly 2100, so the tristar should be stable enough I hope.

Oh, in that case it is definitely stable enough cos I use it for my C700UZ most of the time, no problems at all, even in stronger winds. But then wind in Singapore seldom get very strong...;)

See my website at www.weekai.com and click on the equipment page. There's a picture of how the tristar looks like. :)

Originally posted by xdivider
$30? I was quoted $40+ a few weeks ago. How secure is the velcro strap when u tie it ard a tree or railing?

It is very stable and it depends on how you strap it there. The legs are not round but a hollow triangle so it doesn't move easily. I wouldn't recommend it if your camera is lens heavy if you know what I mean.

Yes the only complaint as with most people is the awful plastic smell it emits. Very chemical and yucky.

Originally posted by genie47

It is very stable and it depends on how you strap it there. The legs are not round but a hollow triangle so it doesn't move easily. I wouldn't recommend it if your camera is lens heavy if you know what I mean.

Yes the only complaint as with most people is the awful plastic smell it emits. Very chemical and yucky.

This one and the ballpod was one the top of my shopping list for a ultra-portable tripod. Finally decided on the ballpod cos it was more compact as well as coming with a multidirectional head. May try to mod it with velcro next time to achieve the same effect as the ultrapod. The ultrapod comes with flat or ballhead?

Originally posted by xdivider

This one and the ballpod was one the top of my shopping list for a ultra-portable tripod. Finally decided on the ballpod cos it was more compact as well as coming with a multidirectional head. May try to mod it with velcro next time to achieve the same effect as the ultrapod. The ultrapod comes with flat or ballhead?

Swivel is a ball. Screw mount.

buy the UltraPod!!! i just got mine at $25 (ultrapod I) at CP. it looks really cool... n i have try it with my Casio QV4000, size & weight abt G2... n it work perfectly!!! Best of all, my gal also going gaga over it... kinda getting jealous... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

don't mind... I'm a newbie here... but the ultra pod is soooo short... I thought all tripods should be like at least waist high?

Originally posted by Mankul
don't mind... I'm a newbie here... but the ultra pod is soooo short... I thought all tripods should be like at least waist high?

Look for a nearby rubbish bin or tree ;) I've seem someone lie on the grass before to take a pic of the supreme court.

Status
Not open for further replies.