Recommend Telephoto & Wide-angle Lens for Canon G2

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivre

Jan 18, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
Can comeone recommend a Telephoto & a Wide-angle Lens for the Canon G2??? How much do the roughly cost in Singapore???

I bought a wide converter from Alan Photo. Vitacon Titanium 0.5x. It reduces the focal length to about 22mm, so the guy told me. It's pretty wide. Oh and also comes with an attached macro adapter that allows you to take from closer than before. All this for $150, while the Canon original wide converter is abt $250. I thought it was pretty worth it.

Originally posted by rumraisin
I bought a wide converter from Alan Photo. Vitacon Titanium 0.5x. It reduces the focal length to about 22mm, so the guy told me. It's pretty wide. Oh and also comes with an attached macro adapter that allows you to take from closer than before. All this for $150, while the Canon original wide converter is abt $250. I thought it was pretty worth it.

how's the image quality? are there any big distortion of the image taken with the wide-angle converter?

Did you buy the Vitacon Titanium 0.5x to use with the Canon G2??? What is the Lens thread size???

Yah, there's visible barrelling at the wider ends of the zoom:( just realised when you asked. Am not sure whether the original Canon one is any better.
The lens thread is abt 52mm I think.

Yah, there's visible barrelling at the wider ends of the zoom:( just realised when you asked. Am not sure whether the original Canon one is any better.
The lens thread is abt 52mm I think.

How bad is the barrelling effect?? Does it affect the composition of the pictures??

BTW, after you've bought the wide-angle lens, how often have you used it???

Check it out here:
barrelling.jpg

(this is at widest zoom. the picture on the left is with the wide thing, obviously)
I just bought it two days ago, so haven't had much opportunity to use it. I attach it to my cam all the time just in case, as it only adds to the camera's ability without any trade-offs (besides the added weight).

I just bought it two days ago, so haven't had much opportunity to use it. I attach it to my cam all the time just in case, as it only adds to the camera's ability without any trade-offs (besides the added weight).

Have you tried taking distant objects at the widest zoom??? Any sample???

I'll take em and post em tomorrow. It's too dark now to take any distant objects :)
Although I don't think the effect will be so pronounced. As you can see in the pic, the barrelling is most pronounced at the edge of the doorway nearest to the camera. Further edges aren't as barrelled.

Although I don't think the effect will be so pronounced. As you can see in the pic, the barrelling is most pronounced at the edge of the doorway nearest to the camera. Further edges aren't as barrelled.

Anyway wide-angle lens are meant for taking distant objects and not near objects (in your case your room)... Unless you specifically want to create the barrelling effect.....

Check it out here:
(this is at widest zoom. the picture on the left is with the wide thing, obviously)

were the 2 pics taken with the camera in the same location at full wide zoom position? my measurements indicate it's only about 0.74x.

Originally posted by mpenza

were the 2 pics taken with the camera in the same location at full wide zoom position? my measurements indicate it's only about 0.74x.

Wow.... How do you measure the zoom???

Originally posted by vivre

Wow.... How do you measure the zoom???

I meant the "wide-angle" multiplier.

Just measure the length of one object on the pic with the wide-angle converter and divide by the length of the same object taken without the wide-angle converter. You could do the same for teleconverters too to measure the zoom factor.

It's easier to work with the full size pics.

Yah, I think it was taken at full zoomed-outness. I suppose it isn't a true 0.5x multiplier.

Been on the look out for wide angle and teleconverter.
I tried out the vitacon0.5x (58mm size thread) some time back with my c2100.

My general feel of it is that there is quite a bit of barrel distortion at full wide and the edges of my images tend to get quite soft. Thinking of whether it is worth it to pay $150 to get a 62 mm 0.5x vitacon as the 58mm caused vignetting for my c2100, and the image quality wasn't really great.

Well, if you're satisfied with the quality, guess it's quite ok then.
Just my personal experience with it.

OK, here are the sample images... you can take a look for yourself:

1.jpg

2.jpg

As you can see, there's quite a lot of barrelling for near objects, but it's not obvious for distant ones. I don't notice any vignetting.

taicw: does a bigger thread give less barrelling?

rumraisin, can I ask u wat brand is ur chair in the pic... got website link to it??? I am looking for such a chair...

OK, here are the sample images... you can take a look for yourself:
As you can see, there's quite a lot of barrelling for near objects, but it's not obvious for distant ones. I don't notice any vignetting.

hmm.... measured again.... and it's still around 0.74x.

many teleconverters and wide-angle converters do not perform the the specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.